Rokas Gustys

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: Rokas Gustys

Post by joeg1 »

Hopefully JG and Rok don't split the vote, a la Strawberry/McReynolds in '88....dating myself
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

So, we basically have 2 players battling it out for Player of the Year? At the very least, both are solid first-team selections. JG is 9th nationally in assists per game with 6.9, and RG is 10 nationally in rebounds per game with 11. When was the last time, if ever, Hofstra had 2 players that were dominant enough the same year that both could easily be POY?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

JG is POY...Rok should be on CAA First Team if he keeps his play up
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

ProudofPride wrote:So, we basically have 2 players battling it out for Player of the Year? At the very least, both are solid first-team selections. JG is 9th nationally in assists per game with 6.9, and RG is 10 nationally in rebounds per game with 11. When was the last time, if ever, Hofstra had 2 players that were dominant enough the same year that both could easily be POY?
Maybe 2006-07 when Stokes and Agudio were both first team CAA with Stokes winning POY.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... or-players

Gustys is #4 on this list.

(Sorry for the long link; I have no idea how to make it a shortcut)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

RG getting more media attention. ESPN writer John Gasaway wrote about the CAA on his personal website, and referred to the conference as "The Rokas Gustys Experiment".
https://johngasaway.com/2016/02/02/tues ... s-edition/
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:RG getting more media attention. ESPN writer John Gasaway wrote about the CAA on his personal website, and referred to the conference as "The Rokas Gustys Experiment".
https://johngasaway.com/2016/02/02/tues ... s-edition/
One thing about that in relation to Thursday night's big showdown is the chart showing the CAA pace of play.

I don't think HU likes to play slow, and although HU can be beat more defensively, can wear down more easily with a short rotation and can turn the ball over at a faster pace, I still think that overall, a faster pace over a slower one plays into Hofstra's hands -- especially in a highly charged game like the next one should be.

Interestingly enough, after Elon (at a league-high 71.2), UNCW (69.1) and Hofstra (68.8) are next. Obviously by those numbers, UNCW is happy playing faster too, but I think Hofstra has a better chance in a big game like that playing at what should be a fairly fast pace with UNCW than against a team that likes to bog things down and makes sure the number of possessions in the game are limited (like, for instance, Charleston -- at by far, a league-low 60.8 -- the same team that held Hofstra to its lowest point total of the season while handing the Dutch its second-worst loss of the season, 72-61, this year). So from that standpoint, as long as HU is efficient offensively against UNCW, I think the Dutch can get away with giving up a fairly high amount of points but still win an exciting, fast-paced, sometimes up-and-down, fairly high-scoring game... something like the Delaware win (maybe not that high-scoring, since that was 90-80, and a little closer, since UNCW is tough -- but more like that style of play). By the way, tied for 4th in pace (with JMU), right behind UNCW and HU, is Delaware (67.9).
Cards

Post by Cards »

Good to see RG is getting his due. Funny reading some of the UNCW posters - their biggest concerns are containing JG and RG. The refer to RG as a man child. They basically say that the best they can hope for is to slow RG down, because they don't think they can stop him......they also hope for RG foul trouble. Also concerned that HU is an experienced team playing on their home court.

They also comment on our short bench, the loss of MN, and bench players being inexperienced.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Love to read the enemy's stuff can you post the link?
THANKS!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Good to see RG is getting his due. Funny reading some of the UNCW posters - their biggest concerns are containing JG and RG. The refer to RG as a man child. They basically say that the best they can hope for is to slow RG down, because they don't think they can stop him......they also hope for RG foul trouble. Also concerned that HU is an experienced team playing on their home court.

They also comment on our short bench, the loss of MN, and bench players being inexperienced.
For a fanbase that hasn't played against HU's yet this season, every bit of that is very accurate. CAA fans have always known their stuff.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Amazing....NEWSDAY!!!!!!????"
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here is the link to the UNCW board
http://csnbbs.com/forum-686.html
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Cards wrote:Here is the link to the UNCW board
Can you get a username approved on that board? I created one days ago, still can't post.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Cards wrote:Here is the link to the UNCW board
Can you get a username approved on that board? I created one days ago, still can't post.
I was simply reading some of "their" posts. I did not register and try to post anything
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Visited their posts and they are pretty respectful and truthful. Not like the delusional fans on William and Mary for example.

They believe that they should play zone although they are a man team and attack Rokus. They believe they have more depth than us but acknowledge that we are very well conditioned.

I think that our experience and home court advantage carry the day and we get a close win...Should be fun!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly HUSID, the expressed opinions over there are actually well thought out, because they are a solid fanbase - I swear I have never seen a more pompous delusional fanbase in the CAA more than W&M - that's a generalization of course, there are certainly some good ones, but their forum in general is a cesspool of complete horse manure - disrespect, arrogance, whiny, rude, etc. - the big 3 had some doozies too, but now that they're gone the little napoleons easily take the cake for most ridiculous - I haven't been back since the EP recruitment. They don't deserve the attention. And I will forever desire to see HU completely destroy them anytime they play, in ANY sport.

I would actually venture to say that outside of the little's, the current CAA fanbases are pretty cool for the most part - at least from the limited exposure I have so far

UNCW is really a solid program, and what they've done considering all the changes they've gone through over the years is really something - and I think their fanbase is solid because they likely have to deal with EXTREME stuck up noses at them from the numerous bigs in the state - I can only imagine the lack of respect they get from the likes of UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, etc.

And we think it's tough dealing with SJU sometimes... ppff, that's nothing. God bless them down there. But I still want our fellas to beat their butts tonight!!! It's HU's time!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Another excellent game for Rok - 21 rebounds...incredible. Lost his streak of double doubles due to poor coaching. JM did not even use him as an offensive weapon in the second half - - what a waste. 70% from the field, no one in the conference has figured out a way to stop him, and we decide not to use him when we need him most.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

RG - over the last 6 games is averaging 17 rebounds per game