Rokas Gustys

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Rokas Gustys

Post by garyg »

Rokas is a work in progress...as time moves on he will build up stamina...foul less..and improve his FT shooting....all this translates into more minutes per game....right now the only negative in his stats are the FT shooting...kid is shooting over 60% from the field...he is nice passer for big guy...for a bulky guy he is quick around the basket...his development will be fun to watch
HUSID80

Re: Rokas Gustys

Post by HUSID80 »

It's not stamina, it's fouls...foul less play more...excited for him and his development
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Right now he's averaging 4.625 made FGs per game, and to show up on the official CAA stats you need to have a minimum of 5 made per game. If he can make one more bunny at the rim per game (which he is improving on those missed ones as he's developing a softer touch), he'd probably be at the top of the CAA in FG%. He's currently .602 from the field, and the current CAA leader (because he averages at least 5 makes per game) is W&M's Omar Prewitt, shooting .506.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: Right now he's averaging 4.625 made FGs per game, and to show up on the official CAA stats you need to have a minimum of 5 made per game. If he can make one more bunny at the rim per game (which he is improving on those missed ones as he's developing a softer touch), he'd probably be at the top of the CAA in FG%. He's currently .602 from the field, and the current CAA leader (because he averages at least 5 makes per game) is W&M's Omar Prewitt, shooting .506.
What's your souurce for the statistics? http://www.caasports.com/custompages/st ... m#conf.wki has Gustys leading in field goal percentage. That hasn't updated to include yesterday's games yet.
garyg

Post by garyg »

That is also what I stated above HUSID80...less fouls
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

EvanJ wrote:
ProudofPride wrote: Right now he's averaging 4.625 made FGs per game, and to show up on the official CAA stats you need to have a minimum of 5 made per game. If he can make one more bunny at the rim per game (which he is improving on those missed ones as he's developing a softer touch), he'd probably be at the top of the CAA in FG%. He's currently .602 from the field, and the current CAA leader (because he averages at least 5 makes per game) is W&M's Omar Prewitt, shooting .506.
What's your souurce for the statistics? http://www.caasports.com/custompages/st ... m#conf.wki has Gustys leading in field goal percentage. That hasn't updated to include yesterday's games yet.
I typically use the interactive stats because I prefer the format, it makes it easier and faster for me to find exactly the statistic I'm looking for. Plus, it's the same format the Hofstra athletics website uses, and it's already updated to include yesterday's games. Under the "leaders" tab and then "FG/ 3FG/ FT" is the numbers I referenced.
http://www.caasports.com/stats.aspx?pat ... &year=2015
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
I typically use the interactive stats because I prefer the format, it makes it easier and faster for me to find exactly the statistic I'm looking for. Plus, it's the same format the Hofstra athletics website uses, and it's already updated to include yesterday's games. Under the "leaders" tab and then "FG/ 3FG/ FT" is the numbers I referenced.
http://www.caasports.com/stats.aspx?pat ... &year=2015
It's strange that the two sets of statistics would have different standards for qualifying. Bernardi is on the free throw percentage leaders at my source, which I like because it has all the categories on one page, but he doesn't have enough free throws to qualify for the Interactive Statistics page.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:That is also what I stated above HUSID80...less fouls
You said build up stamina first... agree its the fouls that are hurting his pt
garyg

Post by garyg »

Was not listed in order of importance...LOL...improving his FT shooting would also get him more minutes for obvious reasons
garyg

Post by garyg »

Was not listed in order of importance...LOL...improving his FT shooting would also get him more minutes for obvious reasons
Cards

Post by Cards »

Latest stats - CAA only
The "Rock" leads the conf with 10.5 Rebpg. Closest is at 8.5
He is 14th in the conf with 14.3 ppg.
He is 2nd in the conf in fld goal % at 67%
We won't talk about his free throw % :lol:

Interesting that the HU starting five are all in the top 25 in scoring in CAA stats. Green and Tanksley at tied at 9th with 15.8. RG is 14th at 14.3. Koon is 18th at 13.5 Bernardi is 22nd at 12 ppg. Pretty balanced!

JG is first in assist with 7.5 apg :) - although his assist/turnover ratio put him at 6th with 2.3 :cry:
Polito

Post by Polito »

Go Gustys Go!!

Great to see his development taking real shape - young man can be a major problem the next 2 1/2 years

I'm also glad to see everyone giving him proper due - because I seem to recall some folks questioning this guys ability and skill set based on a handful of games last year and the first couple this yr... as well as the staff's ability to develop big men (which I think they actually have shown they can help players to get better in general)

RG is just now getting real time to grow - just the beginning - bring on Kentucky!!

Ok, jk, not ready for that yet, but it's exciting to see talent on the rise :P
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

No offense to William and Mary or Terry Tarpey, but how does he get CAA Player of the Week over Rokas Gustys? They should’ve at least been co-players of the week, like the conference has done most other weeks. RG averaged 17.5 points on .667 shooting, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks (4 in one game) and 1.5 steals. TT averaged 16 points on .565 shooting, 8.5 rebounds, .5 blocks (1 total over the 2 games), and 4 steals. Rokas had more points, a better shooting percentage, more rebounds, and more blocks. He definitely deserved recognition for that.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

totally should have been the player of the week. how is that decided? did the school forget to nominate or something?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

W & M won both their games last week and knocked off previously undefeated Northeastern...We went 1-1
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:W & M won both their games last week and knocked off previously undefeated Northeastern...We went 1-1
Shouldn't matter, it's still a good individual performance. It's an individual award, not a team award. Players have won when their team didn't win every game they played that week. It happened this week with rookie of the week. Elon went 1-1, beating JMU before losing to us, and Tyler Seibring still won. I know basketball is a team sport, but regardless of that, he still deserves the recognition for his stellar performance this week.

WRHU announcer Mark Weiner agrees and voiced that on Twitter, which Rokas then retweeted.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, team record shouldn't, and to my knowledge, doesn't, matter for those weekly awards - def seems like a big miss to me... but it's all good, that kind of stuff happening to HU in this lovely conf is nothing new - rather the HU boys win what matters most and shut 'em all up

As a side not, and this has nothing to do with their players, but because of some of their arrogant disrespectful unknowledgable FANS I can tell you there is not a team in the CAA that I want HU to absolutely demolish and demoralize more than the little napoleons. I want HU to put on a clinic and just flat out embarrass them.

My apologies to their good ones, I know it's just a small minority, but my hope is to read 50+ posts on their little board after each HU game from those folks whining complaining and making excuses for getting taken to the woodshed.

8-)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Believe me team record matters
Cards

Post by Cards »

One of the games I always enjoyed was the last home game of the season - Senior Day. I loved it when the fans and students came out to thank guys like speedy, Stokes, Agudio, or Jenkins. Given the more recent history of the team (last 4-5 years), the poor performance, and the circumstance of bringing in transfers, we have not really seen that type of outpouring of support for our players finishing up their final season. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening this year given the "short" careers at HU of our seniors/transfers.

What I could envision, however, is guys like Gustys and Buie, or JWF, building a relationship with the fans and students to get us back into those senior day celebrations. I want the fans to get on someones back and support the team. I'm hoping that these three have the personality and reputation on campus to shoulder that type of support and get some students back to the Mack. Obviously I don't know what goes on at campus on a day to day basis, but my guess would be that Rokas could fill that role. Seems to be real hard worker, a genuinely nice guy, and a rising star. Time will tell, but I'm hoping this comes to fruition with Rokas and some of the others.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I've noticed that unless someone has an absolutely ridiculous week, they give the CAA POW to a player on a team that won twice. The award is irrelevant regardless.

Rokas has been great this year. He showed flashes last year, but his ability around the rim has improved considerably, he's one of the top post players in the league, and he plays with a mean streak which I love, because our team has lacked the killer instinct. Props to Green for setting him up for 2-3 easy buckets a game, he's done a great job keeping Rokas involved, but also that is a testament to Rokas' improved offensive awareness this year.