MBB Game 16 - @ College of Charleston - 1/8/15, 7:30 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Game 16 - @ College of Charleston - 1/8/15, 7:30 PM

Post by Polito »

Key win on the road tonight! As I said, deceiving challenge just cuz they have a bad record - this was a gutsy W, with bad games from the post, and as has been mentioned, this shows progress that both the team and program are making to win games they previously would've let slip

Very pleased to see Green put the team in his back again when needed most - that's what leaders do and what I expected to see from him - was missing early on, but he seems to be stepping up his game as hoped

Said before Elon is looking like a sleeper team, was doing it quietly until just beating one of the confs top teams and one of the top payers - don't be fooled, proving themselves to be worthy of the CAA - bryant i believe is a 3 star guard, or at least close to it - final game of this tough road stretch, and could be this will be another challenge

HU is really showing some mettle and battling in hard fought Ws when shots dont fall or when key guys have off nights - important for the growth and experience of this team - would like to see them punish teams more with more points off TO's - that can really help them put teams away - again, dont care how at this point, just keep winning and finish this stretch strong!

ROLL PRIDE
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... TRA@CHARLS is the Associated Press recap titled "Green leads Hofstra past Charleston 71-66." Hofstra is 163rd in the RPI.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Gritty road win.. I'll take it. COC 5-10 record was a bit deceiving. Anyone see their OOC schedule? Looks nothing like ours, they actually played real teams. I had a bad feeling watching this game as they made us play their style. But still we found a way to win. Clutch 3 point shooting from Tanksley down the stretch and what a luxury it is to have a PG who knows how to draw fouls late in games and makes all of his free throws. Juan'ya Green now leads the nation in free throws made. Very impressive. In tight games, this will be a huge asset for us.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Remember when I took heat when I said that making your free throws an important part of winning games. Well when you have a lead late you need to make those points from the line to hold off your opponent.
Good thing it wasn't Tanksley at the line down the stretch. Really surprised that someone who shoots so well from the field has trouble making free throws
Polito

Post by Polito »

yeah, it's strange, and we've seen that a LOT in the past from some of HU's other star guards - shoot well from all over, but struggle at the line

Great point about Green's ability to not only draw the foul (seemingly at will) but to also MAKE them - that is a MAJOR asset for a player and a team, and has already been key in pulling out hard fought victories

that's the leadership I've been wanting to see - or I should say the ability to win games for his team when it counts

CofC is traditionally a strong bball program - they've gone through a coaching change and played a tough SOS, so the record reflects that - they do have the ability to win some games, so have to stay focused the next time they play

Elon is interesting being a new member and a team no one really knows a ton about yet - looking forward to the test! Expecting the big fellas to bounce back with a strong game - keep ROLLING!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Just leaving this here so we can all enjoy it while it lasts :)
Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 12.17.58 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Dooku25 wrote: Juan'ya Green now leads the nation in free throws made. Very impressive. In tight games, this will be a huge asset for us.
Green has already made more free throws than anybody on arguably the best Hofstra team of all-time, 2005-2006. Carlos Rivera led that team with 2.94 free throws made per game. Green is averageing 7.44 free throws made per game, which is 2.53 times what Rivera averaged. Here's Hofstra's leader in free throws made per game in each season from 2006-2007 to 2013-2014:

2006-2007: Stokes with 5.13
2007-2008: Agudio with 4.22
2008-2009: Jenkins with exactly 6
2009-2010: Jenkins with 4.97
2010-2011: Jenkins with 5.52
2011-2012: Moore with 4.88
2012-2013: Mejia with 3.81
2013-2014: Upshaw with 5.15

Rich Laurel has the Hofstra season record for free throws made with 355 in 1976-1977. I don't know if that will ever get broken. The CAA season record for free throws made is 215 by Petey Sessoms of Old Dominion in 1994-1995. If Hofstra plays in one CAA Tournament game and no games after that, they will play 32 games this season and they are half done with that now. Doubling Green's free throws made would give him 238, which is over 10 percent higher than the CAA record. Last season Jerrelle Benimon made 209 free throws, which is tied with Carlos Yates for second in CAA history. Green also has a chance at finishing in the Top 10 in CAA history for assists in a season.

Hofstra holds the CAA record for team free throw percentage in a season done in 2010-2011, but no Hofstra player holds a CAA season record.