Hofstra Men's Lax

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mikey77

Re: Hofstra Men's Lax

Post by Mikey77 »

A .500 season with an occasional upset of a top ten opponent and they a fine. You watch other programs play the quaterfinals at Shuart so what's your problem. What could possibly be the problem everything is fine. Of course everything is finer at Richmond, High Point, Michigan, and all the other programs that didn't even exist 10 years ago. Can't wait for Rabinowitz to cut this as well citing the low student turnout. It might be best as I'm sick of fretting about where the whole thing is going.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I said years ago that Hofstra men’s lax was going to be in trouble. With bigger schools luring even more top talent awayfrom the island it will be tougher to be competitive. P5 schools have empty football stadiums in the spring. How can this be put to better use. Easy add men’s and women’s lax. High scoring games that Americans like to see. Hofstra needed to be proactive instead of reactive. Can’t close the barn door after the horse leaves. I’m sorry to say that the ship has sailed awAy
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

It's not so much the P5 that are going to get the players, because if you look at the top 5, most P5 fans couldn't tell you what state those schools are in.

It's when the southern schools start to get involved that the power will shift. This is a sport played in shorts- these kids want to be in the sun.

Take a look at the Arizona State hockey roster- it's a bunch of good ol' boys from Alberta and Saskatchewan who have been playing juniors in cities that have one traffic light. Throw an 18 year old hockey player or lacrosse bro on that campus when it's warm out, and use your imagination. Football and basketball players are looking at where will get them to the pros. Lax bros are looking at something VERY different, and there's like 15,000 of them walking around the campuses of the warm weather schools.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Well Drexel without the lacrosse legacy of Hofstra seems to be getting it done. You can say the same for Villanova, Marquette, Michigan, High Point and even Denver (which was hardly a lacrosse power until Tierney showed up, the other Tierney). So at this point, I'm totally perplexed - Hofstra has the facilities, located in a hot bed of lax, the heritage and legacy, and a head coach with his own pedigree and who by all accounts is up to the job. Then why is the program sliding?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:I said years ago that Hofstra men’s lax was going to be in trouble. With bigger schools luring even more top talent awayfrom the island it will be tougher to be competitive. P5 schools have empty football stadiums in the spring. How can this be put to better use. Easy add men’s and women’s lax. High scoring games that Americans like to see. Hofstra needed to be proactive instead of reactive. Can’t close the barn door after the horse leaves. I’m sorry to say that the ship has sailed awAy
The only thing holding back more power 5 schools from adding men's lacrosse is Title IX. Only ones to add in last couple decades are Michigan and Utah and both were aided by massive donations.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If they add womens lax then they keep title IX in place
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:If they add womens lax then they keep title IX in place
Yes but funding is still an issue, especially for public schools that rely on state funding. I think you are more likely to see power 5 schools add hockey than lacrosse since NHL is really pushing for it.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Another reason for Hofstra to add men's hockey!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Mikey77 wrote:Another reason for Hofstra to add men's hockey!
Very unlikely, but would love it.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Acknowledged. And never under Rabinowitz. But these things sometimes start with an idea on a message board. Still think it a perfect and not overly expensive fit.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Mikey77 wrote:Acknowledged. And never under Rabinowitz. But these things sometimes start with an idea on a message board. Still think it a perfect and not overly expensive fit.
It would be expensive in sense that they would need to pay rent costs to play at Islanders practice rink or Coliseum, plus high insurance/equipment costs with hockey and that they would also need to add a women's team or another women's sport for Title XI compliance. Only way it could happen is if they drop sports.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ten years ago the cost told to me by a asst AD was over 1.8 million. You can do find a men’s and women lax team completed for about 1.6 now
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Meanwhile back at the ranch while everyone was trashing one of our greatest basketball season in history we beat St. John's in lacrosse....hopefully this is a sign of things to come as all that matters is CAA play for this program...win the League and we go to the tournament...very simple.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Is Tierney on the hotseat? I mean I personally like the guy a lot, he’s a great ambassador for Hofstra Athletics, but we really stink, and sorry, there’s no chance we win the CAA this year, we probably won’t make the conference tournament. I can’t come up with anymore excuses for the program falling off so hard.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Agree with you FD. Nothing but good things to say abut Tierney except the program just is totally dormant. I'm at a loss on the whole thing.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This year's team is VERY young but there is some talent...Seth is a great guy who runs a good program. He also has a great deal of alumni support, ie Metzger and he has done a great job of keeping the lacrosse alums in the fold as fans and donors.

Now having said that, there is a new sheriff in town, AD Rick Cole and who knows what he may do with the program...my sense is that NOTHING happens until at least after next year when Ryan Tierney graduates...and even then it's all pure speculation.
Last edited by HUSID74 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Not sure if Cole appreciates the historical significance of the lax program. It's really a part of Long Island history. He seems more like a BB guy. So once again no clue where the lax program is going.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Point here is this is NOT about this year. This is just one of MANY. Should I really restate how many years straight it's been?

Doubt it's needed.

Hey I've said I'm at a total loss too - I have felt it has to be ST, and every person I've spoken to to confirm that has given me the exact opposite picture. And considering I'm not a lax expert, I'm inclined to believe it I guess.

So if it isn't him, what the heck is it?? And how does it get corrected?? Because HU cannot just 'accept' this as the new norm. That is not an acceptable approach at this point. This needs to be owned and fixed.

I hope Cole has a plan and has the strength and leeway to do whatever that plan is. And I hope it works lol.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Mikey77 wrote:Not sure if Cole appreciates the historical significance of the lax program. It's really a part of Long Island history. He seems more like a BB guy. So once again no clue where the lax program is going.
Cole is an LI guy...he knows about this program's history.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Another one goal loss to what once was an inferior program. One goal losses unfortunately will be ST's legacy. Go look at the record. I question the announced attendance of 914 and the lack of activity on this board just shows you how irrelevant the program has become. What I saw Saturday was not good lacrosse. 17 turnovers - poor shot selection - sure you can pat-yourself-on-the-back from coming back from a 5 goal deficit but Hofstra put itself in the 5 goal hole. Tierney's team consistently fails to play 4 quarters. So I'm at a loss. I do not see Hofstra winning another game this year, except for maybe Fairfield. I see this program falling further behind and don't know what to do about it. We need to form a Committee to Save Hofstra Lax or something like that.
Never thought it would come to this.