HUSID74

Re: Hofstra Men's Lax

Post by HUSID74 »

It should because it will be UNCW's feed...LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU won by the way, 14-10, RT had 4.

Have to beat a first year team like Utah, but hey young squad so every W is a good one.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Tierney putting the team on his back right now! 8-6
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Tough loss, blowing a 9-6 lead in the fourth to fall 10-9 in OT. Villanova is ranked, fwiw. Bad loss, but a good comeback after being down early. And yes, Tierney had to carry the team today, and likely will every game. He's lax's JWF.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We lose 11-10 to Stony Brook at home...our first home loss to them since 2007...Very ugly game if you watched. More than 30 turnovers, mostly unforced. At times the ball looks like a hot potato out there with a 5-7 man scrum going after it.
Disappointing loss as we tied it late in the game and blew yet another faceoff to give SB the ball for the winning score.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Disappointing loss last night. SB detected a hole in HU's defense down low and exploited it big time. There is a lot of young talent on the field for HU, but the youth and inexperience showed at times and cost us. Does anyone know if McIntosh will be back for G'town on Saturday?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We have an emerging star in FR Whit Stopak, a 2x HS AA from Ohio, who had four goals last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV8U5gx ... e=youtu.be
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Damn. Started 2-0 and promising. Now 2-2, and fading. Always seems to happen to Lax.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

8 - 4 Georgetown at the half. The uninspired mistake-laden play being the hallmark of ST's teams continues.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

A 14 to 6 drubbing.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ouch. Gonna be a long rough season. Or a short one rather lol. But seems like everyone kinda figured that with the youth.

Let's see if they can figure some things out and develop some of that inexperienced talent.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Young team. Three FR starting. Even some of the SOs and JRs are getting significant minutes for the first time.

I think we have solid starters at FO and G. Ryan Tierney will be all-CAA. If we can cut down on some of the turnovers, we will win. Ohio State on Saturday will be a tough test.

As for the CAA, I don't see anyone beating Towson. The Tigers have already defeated Hopkins, G'town and #1 Loyola. They could make the Final Four -- again.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

While I'm thrilled about the BB team getting the front stage right now, the inactivity on this board is just another measure of how far the men's lax program has fallen. This once proud program has become irrelevant on the national level and now on the local level. I'd love for men's lax fans to tell me how I'm wrong and what, if anything, we can do about it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Been saying this literally for years... preaching to the choir. I won't beat a dead horse anymore. Many factors involved.

I will say this: I have spoken to many lax folks, both connected to HU and not, past and present, and not a one has had anything less than stellar things to say about ST. I've been very frustrated with this staff and the complete demise of this program, but I have to own that those in the know assure me he is a great coach and lax person.

So if it isn't him and changing HC isn't the answer, WHAT IS?? What can HU do to fix things? Is it staff? Support staff? Budget?

Youth aside, something needs to change though that's for sure. There is a root problem here that has yet to be corrected for YEARS. I know the landscape has changed, but that excuse was old a few years ago. That's no longer acceptable. HU now needs to change with it and play some serious catchup.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I mean I can only go by what I see from the stands, but it looks like they have the budget. Three helmets, three sets of gloves, a gorgeous locker room, high end weight room that is basically exclusively for lacrosse. University obviously supports the sport itself, willing to host the NCAA QFs every single season. If it's the staff, then that falls on ST.

Honestly, might be one of those things where they have it TOO good. No underdog, work for everything you have mentality. Team was a lot better before they had a pool table in the locker room.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Thx for the response because I'm frankly stumped. Polito, I hear the same as you but all the good things being said aren't producing a good product and given the long and somewhat storied history of this program HU and we fans deserve better. Programs that were not even in existence when ST took over such as Richmond and Michigan are superior now. The program has stepped back in every respect including attendance it seems. We keep getting high school all american's but .500 seasons at best are becoming the norm. Don't know about the pool table but the team seems soft and you can sense the lack of intensity in my view. Losing close has become acceptable.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We get crushed by Ohio State...14-8...wasn't even that close...
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Newsday makes yesterday's loss sound like something positive. Its becoming painful to watch HU lacrosse and I've been watching since a student in the mid 70's. Yesterday's drubbing has been spun into a close loss that we should be encouraged about. Four straight "L's" right now. Does Metzger have any solutions because I don't.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think everyone knew it would be a rough year with the youth, no surprise on this game - hopefully things click better by the end that can be built on next yr

Big picture, yeah, there are obviously problems - biggest problem IMO? No one in the HU admin really truly cares enough to do anything to change it. Absolutely zero fight for this program to level up and make the dance. Feels like a 'nice to have' like they've given up and continue to use the excuse that the landscape has changed...

Yeah, LOL, no sh!t. It changed a DECADE ago :roll: WHAT IS THE U GOING TO DO ABOUT IT??? I do not have the answers here, I am just a fan and no lax guru by any stretch - but it's not my job to have the answer here, it's supposed to be someone(s) in the athletic dept.

And apparently they are doing a whole lot of nothing to fix things. So I don't bother anymore. Just glad when they win regular season games. That's all the new HU measure of success is with lax from all I see. They are perfectly content to host NCAA Quarters for programs other than their own.

Sad. But oh well, they will be the ones to live in that - I don't even get that upset anymore, it is what it is. All that did was get me riled up, but the people that can help do something to improve things don't do jack squat. I have not and will not spend one dime or one minute at a game until I see this Admin show that they refuse to allow mediocrity, that they EXPECT CAA championships, and that they will do whatever it takes to right this ship.

So far, that wait has = YEARS.