NCAA or NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: NCAA or NIT

Post by HUSID80 »

These issues are not settled in the press... I'm sure Hathaway is lobbying his a.... of with the Committee... stranger things have happened.... Maybe a second CAA team will dance as a gift to outgoing Commissioner Yeager.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'd like to also see "our" outgoing commissioner lobbying his butt off, but I won't hold my breath - believe that's part of his job right, to represent to the best of his ability ALL members of the conference he runs? Did he do anything to try and help HU in '06?

Sorry for the skepticism on this guy, but I haven't heard 1 single thing he's done above and beyond to help HU when appropriate since joining this friggin conf. I've definitely heard about him going wild for his VA brethren before... And if I'm wrong, and he is actually doing something, I hope he doesn't get all confused and lobby for W&M instead of HU. :roll: Can you tell I've been less than impressed with this good 'ol boy? Crap is old and tired - thank goodness for change.

I'm not saying HU should be in, quite frankly they had their chance, BUT I do agree they damn sure should be in the conversation - I don't see any true mid major that has some phenominal situation that blows everyone else away - I see a lot of VERY good mids that are going to get screwed once again for some average to below average major

As for Monmouth, look guys, it's very simple, and I've been saying this for sometime - you need to play big boys in your OOC - not 1 - a FEW - and then you need to beat some of them - when you do that, you will create national buzz and noise that is impossible to ignore, and that's exactly what you're seeing.

HU is close, moving in the right direction, but they need to take another big step in OOC scheduling going forward.

Alas, they have a lot of numbers that just look like they belong in the dance - it would be really tremendous if enough of the right people were able to get this done - as I've said many times, HU is built to knock off some bigs in 1-off situations - it would be just awesome to see
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote:I'd like to also see "our" outgoing commissioner lobbying his butt off, but I won't hold my breath - believe that's part of his job right, to represent to the best of his ability ALL members of the conference he runs? Did he do anything to try and help HU in '06?
Bobby Broyles (assistant CAA commissioner) said something on twitter this morning. It's not Tom Yeager, but at least it's someone from the CAA. Also, check out Stephen Gorchov's twitter, he's in the middle of a heated debate about this with a Monmouth fan.
https://twitter.com/BobbyBroyles/status ... 5263663104
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well one things for sure, just like every year, there's going to be some really unhappy mid majors after Sunday!
Sctvman

Post by Sctvman »

My prediction is that Hofstra will have at least one home game in the NIT, possibly two. They could get as high as a 2 seed.

https://carolinasportsthoughts.wordpres ... cketology/

TeamRankings though says they have a 42% chance of an NCAA bid.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... acketology
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra deserves to be in the conversation with (at the moment) an RPI of 58, winning the 9th-best league, losing the CAA final to the co-champ in OT and winning 8 straight before that loss.

But they kind of made they own bed, and it's tough how much of a fine line there can be.

Sure, there are games they pulled out that they could have lost. And I know what Parcells says about your record. But they did get those wins, and these losses were all there for the taking as well:

- Indiana State (blew a comfortable lead in the final 2 min. to lost by 1).
- 2 OT losses to JMU.
- 3-pt loss at Stony Brook that was up for grabs real late.

I won't even count the 20-point lead vs. UNCW only to lose on a late 3 because if that's counted as one they should've won, then the road win at UNCW was one they should've lost.

But look at the other 4 above. Win just TWO of those 4 (let's say Indiana State and one of the two in OT against JMU (since those were the most winnable), we'd be talking this:

26-7, 15-3 CAA, outright CAA regular season champs instead of co-champs, and probably talked about nationally as a strong bubble team.

And imagine they had won all of the 4 above plus the UNCW game at home, they'd be an at-large lock at 29-4, plus 17-1 in the CAA (regular season), even with the finals loss to UNCW. Pretty fitting for how the CAA tourney ended up. Potential to do really big things, and came REALLY close, but just barely short.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jay Bilas came up with a great idea for the selection committee re: mid majors...make selections based on the regular season at the end of the regular season...I like that
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Listening to Francesa and he states he as an early determination from the tournament committee and that they have selected Monmouth to the tournament?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Finally someone is listening...

Seth DavisVerified account ‏@SethDavisHoops
Anybody looking at Hofstra as a potential at large? Road win at St. Bonaventure. Ranked ahead of Mich, Vandy & Syr on @KPIsports. Hmmm...
https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/stat ... 9708924928

All it takes is one of the "experts" to get the conversation going.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hopefully the real action is taking place behind the scenes with our AD....keep our fingers crossed...even Temple, ranked first in the AAC has a lower rpi than us
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I've done this thing a thousand times and have strained to not have on blue-gold glasses.......but I think we're gonna get in.

No "bad" losses (less than 150), conference champion, a star player, a strong AD, a retiring commissioner, #9 conference, 55 RPI.....

I like our resume.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We're finishing up with the #54 RPI, AHEAD of Butler, Florida, Temple, Tulsa, and Michigan!

How is nobody talking about us!!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Agree that we deserve to be in the conversation, even though I think even reasonably we're on the wrong side of the bubble (losses to Indiana State, Siena are going to look like head scratchers to the committee). Resume aside, this team would have an excellent chance to knock off some big boys. Won how many straight games in a tenacious, deep conference before finally falling in OT at the Conf. Championship to a strong UNCW team. If recency is taken into account then that can only help us.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

agreed !!!

the problem is that with when left to do the "right thing".....the ncaa rarely does......
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

A cursory glance at media outlets Selection Sunday previews don't look great. For the most part we aren't even mentioned as a bubble team. Note to Hofstra bench: come up with corny celebrations next year to gain media attention.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

RollPride15 wrote: Note to Hofstra bench: come up with corny celebrations next year to gain media attention.
Haha yup, since that's essentially the best thing Monmouth has going for them right now, yet they're getting attention as a bubble team despite not actually having as good of a resume as other bubble teams. People are seeing the names of the opponents they beat, but aren't actually acknowledging that those opponents aren't that great this year. Our top win is better than theirs, we can in first in a much better conference, and we no losses to teams with a 200+ RPI, which Monmouth has multiple. I actually think their losses are more telling than their wins. Our worst loss in Indiana State, which is currently 171. Monmouth proponents keep saying how the amount of road/neutral wins they have are impressive, but they're really not considering how bad most of the MAAC is. The CAA has 7 of 10 teams in the top 150 of the RPI, the MAAC doesn't even have close to many in the top. While they have a lot of road wins, they're not good wins since most came against bad teams.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jerry Beach's letter to Jeff Hathaway sums up all of our thoughts perfectly.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2016 ... haway.html
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ProudofPride wrote:
RollPride15 wrote: Note to Hofstra bench: come up with corny celebrations next year to gain media attention.
Haha yup, since that's essentially the best thing Monmouth has going for them right now, yet they're getting attention as a bubble team despite not actually having as good of a resume as other bubble teams. People are seeing the names of the opponents they beat, but aren't actually acknowledging that those opponents aren't that great this year. Our top win is better than theirs, we can in first in a much better conference, and we no losses to teams with a 200+ RPI, which Monmouth has multiple. I actually think their losses are more telling than their wins. Our worst loss in Indiana State, which is currently 171. Monmouth proponents keep saying how the amount of road/neutral wins they have are impressive, but they're really not considering how bad most of the MAAC is. The CAA has 7 of 10 teams in the top 150 of the RPI, the MAAC doesn't even have close to many in the top. While they have a lot of road wins, they're not good wins since most came against bad teams.
Believe me, Jeff Hathaway is working his butt off to make all those points to the committee.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:
Believe me, Jeff Hathaway is working his butt off to make all those points to the committee.
I hope so, but can an AD really communicate that much with committee members? I'm not sure how these things work but would think NCAA would try and put clamps on that.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

CBS is really dragging out the NCAAT announcements. Didn't this used to be a half-hour show?