2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:Speaking about glutton for punishment ... I just bought tickets. One last hurrah I guess.
Hey Pride you're becoming the ultimate fan like me you go to both the men a and women's games. So you're taking your boys and your wife?? Enjoy!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Ha - thanks triplec. I went all in this year I guess. It's a 2 hour drive for me, so a little late for the boys on a school night. Just the wife and myself today.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Kinda figured that I guess your wife likes basketball?? Or maybe just being a good wife Lol. Hope we get a win and you're not driving all that distance to be disappointed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Rutgers - 7.5
O/U 136.5
Now Rutgers -5.5, O/U 139.5
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:At this point, we're playing with house money. There's more pressure on RU to win, and they choked when it counted vs. MN and others.

I'm sure UNCW and Towson would love to be playing tonight.

And if we should win, there's a chance we could face VA TECH in the next round!
Meant to say ask this when I saw the bracket on Sunday - Polito: who do you root for if it's HU vs. Va Tech?
And which school would host the game? Both are underdogs.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:
Wags wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:At this point, we're playing with house money. There's more pressure on RU to win, and they choked when it counted vs. MN and others.

I'm sure UNCW and Towson would love to be playing tonight.

And if we should win, there's a chance we could face VA TECH in the next round!
Meant to say ask this when I saw the bracket on Sunday - Polito: who do you root for if it's HU vs. Va Tech?
And which school would host the game? Both are underdogs.
I don't think there's any chance for Hofstra to host a game unfortunately. They don't seed the bottom half of the bracket with numbers for whatever reason, but logically Hofstra is an 8 if the'y're playing a 1 seed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: I don't think there's any chance for Hofstra to host a game unfortunately. They don't seed the bottom half of the bracket with numbers for whatever reason, but logically Hofstra is an 8 if the'y're playing a 1 seed.
They're not necessarily viewed as an 8 seed because they're playing a 1. The committee does a balance of "seeding" without calling it seeding for half of the bracket, but also balancing that with geography, which is a big priority (Seton Hall would've been the logical geographic choice to play at Rutgers, but they got shipped out to Colorado when balancing geography with team caliber). That's why they only officially seed 1-4 in each group, to give them that flexibility. If they want to have what would've been seen as a 6 or 7 play a 1 because that fits better geographically, and have what would've been seen as an 8 play a 2 elsewhere because of geography, they'll make that switch. Safe to say Hofstra was considered one of the lowest seeds but not necessarily what would have been called an 8 had they seeded the entire bracket.

I think it'll be Rutgers vs. Cincinnati anyway, but agree if it's Hofstra vs. Virginia Tech, there's no way Hofstra's hosting that game because the committee likely considers Va Tech a stronger team, has the much bigger brand name, and can sell a lot more tickets than Hofstra would.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:Rutgers - 7.5
O/U 136.5
Now Rutgers -5.5, O/U 139.5
That's a BIG point drop on the day of the game. Who just got injured for Rutgers, lol?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

So combination of low seed not necessarily 8th with lack of drawing power, still no chance to host a game.

Who is the tall skinny guy warming up with the bigs?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Our old friend Tim Welsh doing the color in ESPNU.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Rutgers plays like the power 5 version of UNCW. This could be an embarrassingly long night
Wags

Post by Wags »

This feels like a bad spot for Hofstra. Feels like they are due for a letdown in a hostile gym after disappointment in DC, and feels like Rutgers will play with a chip at home after getting snubbed. Rutgers crowd has been loud. The 9-2 start certainly felt that way but long way to go. HU will have to hit from 3 to stay in it or it may be a very tough night.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dubar (7 pts) keeping Hofstra in it at 14-9 with Estrada starting 0/4.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:Kinda figured that I guess your wife likes basketball?? Or maybe just being a good wife Lol. Hope we get a win and you're not driving all that distance to be disappointed.
Good wife - yes. Though she has really started following basketball this season.

This is the loudest arena I’ve been in for a Hofstra game. Crowd is very into it. Not much of an NIT letdown IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Re: 2023 NITa

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Kinda figured that I guess your wife likes basketball?? Or maybe just being a good wife Lol. Hope we get a win and you're not driving all that distance to be disappointed.
Good wife - yes. Though she has really started following basketball this season.

This is the loudest arena I’ve been in for a Hofstra game. Crowd is very into it. Not much of an NIT letdown IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn’t think there would be vs. the opposite with say, Michigan at home. Toledo already 27 pts and led by nine after about nine minutes. They expect more there. For fans in the RAC, this is not what they wanted but would be happy to see an NIT run or title. But HU weathering it well at 19-17 after 14-4 Rutgers and Estrada starting 0/5.
Wags

Post by Wags »

26-23, Rutgers at the U8. Hofstra getting a lot of “crowd silencers” every time the RAC gets loud after a Rutgers 3 or other big play.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Give Hofstra a lot of credit for hanging in, but Rutgers is way too good to beat if hofstra keeps giving them 2nd chances and esp if Estrada continues playing like this.

Hofstras fundamental flaws really do get magnified against real teams
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Hanging tough. Can’t win getting outshot by 13 in the first half though. Hopefully WW can play 20 in the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This is why the NIT can matter a little bit and why we shouldn't be snubbing our noses at it, especially for a program with 0 NCAAT wins and 2 NIT wins all-time in D-I:

Tim Welsh tells a national TV audience late in the second half: "Both of these teams could have won games in the NCAA tournament."

Welsh as the game went to halftime: "This is a very good game with two really good teams."
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He has to promote the teams but yeah I just don’t know we won’t know this year