MBB Game 16 - @ Hampton, 1/5/23, 7 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Game 16 - @ Hampton, 1/5/23, 7 PM EST

Post by triplec2195 »

Watching this on Flo and Hampton not a very good team that's quite evident. Using our bench with Williams, Marshall and Plotnikov all playing together and looking good. Need better play from Carlos who has missed open shots in this game.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Sloppy ball handling. We are not playing well enough to beat the better teams in the CAA. I don't think Speedy will be happy at all with this performance!

Hampton has a very nice arena. That appears to be their only plus!
Last edited by Cards on Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our lead went down to 43-32, and we called timeout. We committed 5 fouls in under four-and-a-half minutes to start the half, and are also committing turnovers. After Hampton's first foul of the half, Carlos missed two free throws short. Williams committed his third foul, and I do not think Boachie-Yiadom is helping. They say Carlos leads us with 7 rebounds, which surprises me, but there are not statistics to check.

Edit: Our lead went down to 8, and we lead 58-45 with 6:31 left. We have way more rebounds, 38 to 27. We made only half of our free throws, and the announcer said we entered leading the CAA in free throw percentage. We committed 10 fouls so far in the half, and Hampton has only 5. Boachie-Yiadom got a technical as part of each team getting a technical, and that fouled him out. Williams has 4 fouls, so we might have both forwards foul out.

Edit: We won 67-51, Stony Brook won 67-56 at Monmouth, William & Mary won 69-66 hosting Northeastern, and on CBS Sports Network, Towson won 64-58 hosting Drexel.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah I looked at stats the other day in the CAA and we were leading in FT%. This is not the Buie, Pemberton team when it comes to FT% AS Estrada seems to have lost his concentration at the line though. Carlos another 0 point game ,Nelson 2 points with 5 assists 3 blocks and 2 steals who contributes but he needs to drive more to the basket and pick up easy points. We have to carry too many non scorers on this team. If either Estrada, Thomas or Dubar are off or a combo of them we're screwed. Williams should get more minutes scoring 12 today against a team whose biggest player I believe was only 6'7. I know Estrada can score and dish but 7 turnovers that's unacceptable and probably is due to too much one on one play. Should have beaten this team by more.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So I went on the Hampton, athletic sports site on December 20, 2022 Hampton named an interim athletic Director. The website has not had any stories since December 20 that is 17 days with no sports information. I truly believe that the CAA commissioner should sit down with the administrators of Hampton university, and issue them an ultimatum either step up to the plate and bring their athletic department up to see CAA standards or leave the conference entirely. We have 13 teams now I would rather have 12 teams. I feel that Hampton University brings nothing to the table.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: So I went on the Hampton, athletic sports site on December 20, 2022 Hampton named an interim athletic Director. The website has not had any stories since December 20 that is 17 days with no sports information. I truly believe that the CAA commissioner should sit down with the administrators of Hampton university, and issue them an ultimatum either step up to the plate and bring their athletic department up to see CAA standards or leave the conference entirely. We have 13 teams now I would rather have 12 teams. I feel that Hampton University brings nothing to the table.
I agree about Hampton not doing enough work, and I hate having an odd number of teams, but Campbell (in Buies Creek, NC) is joining next season to make 14. I would be happy to have Hampton and Campbell not in the CAA.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... core/12113 is the box score. Estrada scored 20, Thomas scored 16, Dubar scored 13, Williams scored 12, Plotnikov scored 4, and Boachie-Yiadom scored 2. Carlos had no points, 2 assists, and tied for the team lead with 7 rebounds in 24 minutes. Estrada and Dubar also had 7 rebounds, Williams had 6, and Boachie-Yiadom had 5. We had 45 rebounds to Hampton's 30. Estrada and Boachie-Yiadom had 5 assists. Boachie-Yiadom had 3 of our 5 blocks and 2 of our 4 steals. Hampton's announcer said they entered averaging only 4 steals, and they had 8, contributing to them having twice as many points off turnovers 12 to 6. Estrada played the whole game. Hampton's double-digit scorers were Jordan Nesbitt with 14 and Kyrese Mullin with 12. Mullin tied three Hofstra players for the most rebounds with 7, and Jordan Nesbitt tied two Hofstra players for the most assists with 5. Jordan Nesbitt led all players with 3 steals. Jordan Nesbitt is not related to Amir Nesbitt, who scored 4 in 8 minutes. It looked like not many fans, and I was right. The attendance was 147. Other than pandemic games without fans, I wonder when the last time we played in front of that few people was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxctvkdpAC4 is highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqgO1BYHX_c is an interview with Claxton.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:So I went on the Hampton, athletic sports site on December 20, 2022 Hampton named an interim athletic Director. The website has not had any stories since December 20 that is 17 days with no sports information. I truly believe that the CAA commissioner should sit down with the administrators of Hampton university, and issue them an ultimatum either step up to the plate and bring their athletic department up to see CAA standards or leave the conference entirely. We have 13 teams now I would rather have 12 teams. I feel that Hampton University brings nothing to the table.
That group they played tonight did not look like a D1 basketball team.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Did you notice the attendance total for tonight's game was 147?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Sloppy ball handling. We are not playing well enough to beat the better teams in the CAA. I don't think Speedy will be happy at all with this performance!

Hampton has a very nice arena. That appears to be their only plus!
Cards I agree rhe arena is their only saving grace.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We shot free throws 6-13 (.462), and nobody made all of his free throws. It was our worst free throw percentage since we shot 3-10 in a 78-59 loss to Clemson in the Charleston Classic on November 17, 2017. That was 167 games ago.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:Did you notice the attendance total for tonight's game was 147?
Our women's team averages far more then that. Hampton is not contributing much to the conference in this sport at the present time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:We shot free throws 6-13 (.462), and nobody made all of his free throws. It was our worst free throw percentage since we shot 3-10 in a 78-59 loss to Clemson in the Charleston Classic on November 17, 2017. That was 167 games ago.
We shoot 73% as a team and speaking of FT's does anyone happen to notice how we never see Thomas at the FT LINE? He has taken 190 shots and has only been to the FT line 8x all year. I don't necessarily know the reason for this but I wonder if that is near the lowest in the NCAA D1 stats? Maybe a good thing because he doesn't seem like a great FT shooter.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ProudofPride wrote:Not a single mention of this game on Hampton’s website, other than the schedule. No preview. Live stats aren’t even working (assuming Hampton doesn’t have employees to run them). Totally not acceptable for this conference, it’s downright embarrassing.
You can get all the stats you want on ESPN.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I'll take the win but it was VERY sloppy with all the turnovers, missed free throws, etc.
We essentially have two non-scorers in our starting lineup in Boachie and Carlos...can't win against good teams that way.
We need to get the point guard situation straightened out as Carlos can't score and Estrada, when asked to play the point is a turnover machine.
Agree that Williams and Plotnikov should get more playing time..
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The headline on gohofstra reads STELLAR DEFENSE CARRIES HOFSTRA TO ROAD WIN. Now that may be true playing against a sub-par offensive team but what was our excuse for only scoring 28 points in the second half. 3-10 from three and 3-9 from the FT line. Maybe it was their stellar D clamping down on our offense? It's funny but I'll mention it here since I've been following the woman's team and both of our teams have the same problem with the PG position. We have kids that protect the ball but neither one scores much. Carlos for all his HS accolades has under performed in an area of his game that we all thought he would excel. What's the story behind that SPEEDY??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:The headline on gohofstra reads STELLAR DEFENSE CARRIES HOFSTRA TO ROAD WIN. Now that may be true playing against a sub-par offensive team but what was our excuse for only scoring 28 points in the second half. 3-10 from three and 3-9 from the FT line. Maybe it was their stellar D clamping down on our offense? It's funny but I'll mention it here since I've been following the woman's team and both of our teams have the same problem with the PG position. We have kids that protect the ball but neither one scores much. Carlos for all his HS accolades has under performed in an area of his game that we all thought he would excel. What's the story behind that SPEEDY??
Agree on Carlos. Think the staff made a big mistake in not recruiting and more experienced point guard to begin the season and let Carlos learn from the bench and get 10-15 minutes a game...not sure there is anyone else on the roster who can adapt to the role but it is hurting us.

Kind of like the Jets with their quarterback situation. They threw Zach Wilson into the pool and he's drowning!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Guys, remind me to never complain about Hofstra’s attendance anymore
Hamptons men’s basketball team due 147 people for a Thursday night game
I’m sorry, but this Hass to be a CAA all time record for the lowest attended basketball game
They could be 3 feet of snow and we would draw more than 147 people to a game
Like I said, it’s time for the CAA commissioner to sit down with Hamptons administration and give them the ultimatum
I would like to see what Hamptons record will be at the end of the first year I think right now they have a winning percentage of .100
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Guys, remind me to never complain about Hofstra’s attendance anymore
Hamptons men’s basketball team due 147 people for a Thursday night game
I’m sorry, but this Hass to be a CAA all time record for the lowest attended basketball game
They could be 3 feet of snow and we would draw more than 147 people to a game
Like I said, it’s time for the CAA commissioner to sit down with Hamptons administration and give them the ultimatum
I would like to see what Hamptons record will be at the end of the first year I think right now they have a winning percentage of .100
And that's in an arena that holds 7,200, so the seats were about 98% empty. I guess that boost to the program from that 2001 NCAA tourney shocker, when 15th-seeded Hampton stunned 2nd-seeded Iowa State in 2001, is long gone. :D
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: We shoot 73% as a team and speaking of FT's does anyone happen to notice how we never see Thomas at the FT LINE?
Shooting a lot of threes means drawing fewer shooting fouls. In 2019-2020, William & Mary's Miguel Ayesa attempted 110 threes, 11 twos, and 0 free throws. In 2006-2007, we had Zygis Sestokas attempt 135 threes, 29 twos, and 11 free throws.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: We shoot 73% as a team and speaking of FT's does anyone happen to notice how we never see Thomas at the FT LINE?
Shooting a lot of threes means drawing fewer shooting fouls. In 2019-2020, William & Mary's Miguel Ayesa attempted 110 threes, 11 twos, and 0 free throws. In 2006-2007, we had Zygis Sestokas attempt 135 threes, 29 twos, and 11 free throws.
Good stats Evan thanks for the research definitely figured that to a degree but he does have a mid range game as well.