Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
pridehoops2015

Re: Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Post by pridehoops2015 »

stuball888 wrote:Just finished watching the replay of the Hofstra-Drexel game on SNY. Right after the game was over, BOOM a commercial for Fairfield basketball.
Watching wm v jmu and just saw a Hofstra basketball commercial.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

2015 was the commercial specific to the UNCW game or a generic mens basketball. This is the first I have heard about a Hofstra sports commercial on TV.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

News day had an article recapping the game yesterday in today's Sunday sports. Not an advertisement but at least some coverage.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We finally got more space than Stony Brook because our game ended early. Another problem with drawing fans is our schedule and when games are played...the CAA schedule is NOT fan friendly for urban schools like Hofstra.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: 2015 was the commercial specific to the UNCW game or a generic mens basketball. This is the first I have heard about a Hofstra sports commercial on TV.
It said "Hofstra Basketball Is Back." It may have been a commercial made before the season. The James Madison at William & Mary game will be replayed on SNY tomorrow at 3:00 P.M. The commercial was about 1:30 into the game, so if you watch (or DVR) SNY tomorrow at about 4:29 P.M. and the commercials are the same as when the game was on live, you can see the commercial yourself. The commercial was during the media timeout with 7:53 left.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, you have to look at how many seasons have past since the AE champion teams and the CAA NIT teams. For the students of 2015-2016, it was a long time. Most of the students do not recall those teams. If you were in the Arena, it was special. The only thought I can give you is that I do not recall a large attendance at the Arena when there were home games in recent seasons against A10 LaSalle(weekday afternoon near Christmas) or George Washington. I believe that the best place to start getting fans in the stands is to, as others have stated, start with the present students. Next, tap the HU Alumni. These should be the easiest to interest. The local community is the most difficult to get to attend. They are just a difficult sale. Think of your reaction to attending a Molloy, Adelphi, LIU Post, NYIT, SUNY Farmingdale, or USMMA basketball game. I realize these are Division 2 and 3 colleges, but many in the local community do not know about the divisions. Newsday does not cover these Division 2 and 3 games anymore. The lack of knowledge of fans that HU plays in the 9th ranked Division 1 conference or that the Arena is not a gym are large hurdles to overcome. The level of basketball in the CAA is vastly superior to the AE, but recall that HU has been defeated by UV and SBU recently. I also agree that it is difficult to get the local media outlets to cover this team. I think the coverage that WRHU gives the teams, around the NY Islanders games, for college students is very good. The coaches shows and locker room programs are interesting to listen to and are fun for fans to get some insights. Other colleges do not get that type of coverage. I know the HU games are shifted to another radio station on the nights of hockey games, but the games are still available on the internet or phone app. When WRHU does a fall, winter or spring preseason program, it goes on for hours. I really think that the next four home games are crucial in getting a large increase in attendance. Two weekend and two Thursday night games with first place teams. As Polito would say, NO EXCUSES! Do whatever is necessary to get the student section behind both the men's and women's teams. The teams and the coaches deserve better. Let's make these games ones we will talk about in the seasons to come. Oh, and by the way, I really think we gave away a great unique name in the Flying Dutchmen. I know all about being PC, but I am tired of explaining what a Pride of Lions are. GO DUTCH!
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:Wags, you have to look at how many seasons have past since the AE champion teams and the CAA NIT teams. For the students of 2015-2016, it was a long time. Most of the students do not recall those teams. If you were in the Arena, it was special. The only thought I can give you is that I do not recall a large attendance at the Arena when there were home games in recent seasons against A10 LaSalle(weekday afternoon near Christmas) or George Washington. I believe that the best place to start getting fans in the stands is to, as others have stated, start with the present students. Next, tap the HU Alumni. These should be the easiest to interest. The local community is the most difficult to get to attend. They are just a difficult sale.
Regardless of how long ago those big crowds were for the AE title games, NIT games or Mason ranked 25th were, and regardless of how difficult a sale it is in Nassau (I agree, it is, unfortunately), there's still something else that's being missed, mostly likely, from a lack of advertising and active publicity on Hofstra's part -- because there is just no way that no matter how much of a difficult sale it is, that a 3-18 Drexel team should outdraw a first-place, legit CAA title contender in Hofstra when comparing the two games between those two teams on each other's home court this season, especially when Hofstra has the much nicer arena as well as the far superior product on the floor. That's big problem. The sale shouldn't be THAT difficult.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
The Shadow wrote:Wags, you have to look at how many seasons have past since the AE champion teams and the CAA NIT teams. For the students of 2015-2016, it was a long time. Most of the students do not recall those teams. If you were in the Arena, it was special. The only thought I can give you is that I do not recall a large attendance at the Arena when there were home games in recent seasons against A10 LaSalle(weekday afternoon near Christmas) or George Washington. I believe that the best place to start getting fans in the stands is to, as others have stated, start with the present students. Next, tap the HU Alumni. These should be the easiest to interest. The local community is the most difficult to get to attend. They are just a difficult sale.
Regardless of how long ago those big crowds were for the AE title games, NIT games or Mason ranked 25th were, and regardless of how difficult a sale it is in Nassau (I agree, it is, unfortunately), there's still something else that's being missed, mostly likely, from a lack of advertising and active publicity on Hofstra's part -- because there is just no way that no matter how much of a difficult sale it is, that a 3-18 Drexel team should outdraw a first-place, legit CAA title contender in Hofstra when comparing the two games between those two teams on each other's home court this season, especially when Hofstra has the much nicer arena as well as the far superior product on the floor. That's big problem. The sale shouldn't be THAT difficult.

Long Islanders are spoiled, in what way? - 1) they have some many other things they can be doing - 2) they will jump on a winner when it is vogue like 2005-07. Now our student section might have less students then ever that are interested in sports - without football this might be a ripple effect - that incoming students might look at Hofstra as a fan that does not offer any or enough teams to rally around.
That leaves us locals that love college basketball or alum/faculty that love college basketball - and its not enough.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just did a little research and I was shocked at what I saw. Lets take little Iona up in New Rochelle mens basketball 1,763 avg and womens basketball 734 avg. men are out drawing us with their tiny gym by almost 500 per game. the women about double what our women are drawing. Fordham after 5 putrid seasons under Tom Pecora with over 100 losses. Fordham in their tiny Rose Hill Gym 1,973 and their womens team similar to ours in success 980. So what our excuse now.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:Just did a little research and I was shocked at what I saw. Lets take little Iona up in New Rochelle mens basketball 1,763 avg and womens basketball 734 avg. men are out drawing us with their tiny gym by almost 500 per game. the women about double what our women are drawing. Fordham after 5 putrid seasons under Tom Pecora with over 100 losses. Fordham in their tiny Rose Hill Gym 1,973 and their womens team similar to ours in success 980. So what our excuse now.
I don't know!!! Maybe a stronger alumni???
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Fordham yes but Iona? That alone doesnt give Hofstra the excuse. I know plenty of Hofstra alumni. The only time the school reaches out to them is for money. An envelop saying please donate to whatever the event is. never a phone call from an actual person talking one on one. Blast e-mails are now considered spam or us old folks junk mail.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think HU alumni relations is a HUGE area of lack - and not just graduated alumni, but how about anyone who's gone to HU for a certain period of time.

EVERYONE who has ever stepped foot on campus and actually taken a class should be part of an outreach program in regards to marketing - I know this isn't happening, and that is a MAJOR miss. There must be thousands upon thousands of alumni or one-time HU folks in the tri-state - how in the world can there be no effort to involve that VITAL part of the HU community?

That's a big time ball drop, and quite frankly, a fireable offense for whoever is supposed to be in charge.

This area is challenging, but not trying to fill a 20k seat arena - there is CLEARLY something missing on HU's part, and it's not even up for debate or excuse making.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, I have spoken with people in my neighborhood and at work about HU basketball. You tell them about the level of play, the arena, ease of parking, relatively low cost, etc. All you get is a blank stare. They really cannot be bothered. They have no rooting interest at all. They would only go to a Hofstra game if their son was playing at halftime or at a kids party. The only college basketball product they may be somewhat familiar with is the Big East and St. John's. This is why I think the students and Alumni should be the main target for the remaining four home games this month. Save the community outreach and just focus on these two groups.
Stuball888, Iona has had many very good MAAC teams and post season tournaments in the past few seasons, so it is a different sell.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This tweet is a start... They have to do more than this though.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/6 ... 0284621824
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I'll put my 2 cents in (as I have in the past on this subject) being a huge college basketball fan - it's just not worth trying to attract "non affiliated" HU fans - they couldn't care less about HU basketball. Put them against a name opponent or schedule and you have half a chance. I have an extra ticket and have offered it to countless friends/associates/relatives and basically can't give it away. Only shot is the students and alum or give tickets away to groups.
PS-Have to admit I've lost some steam myself and although I've gone to every game but W&M it's more of a drag then something I'm looking forward to - could be the empty arena, the local lack of interest, losing the big 3 (Mason, Dominion and VCU), boring team, or I'm just getting old.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

ZMAN3, I agree with what you are saying, something is missing. Maybe it is the lack of a true student section to get the arena excited. I fondly remember the students in costumes, Speedos, bodysuits, makeup, etc. distracting opponents during foul shots. The HU Midnight Madness crowd in the fall lead me to believe that the next few months would be more than what we all have witnessed.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think there is a lingering sense of betrayal from the laptop thefts and the subsequent poor play.

We are in a new era, and in my opinion, the AD has to go to greater lengths to show the students and alumni are a valuable part of "the team" and make them feel like they are wanted.

Advertising can't hurt, but as ZMan said, students and alums are our "best shot" to fill the arena. The lack of energy is palpable- we need to do whatever it takes to bring in people who have a connection.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

All good points - I also have a tough time trying to get someone to the games - it was easy to do it in the Stokes/Rivera/Augdio days - and the Jenkins games I could get someone most of the time - but now almost impossible.
No local player - yeah; less top notch comp - I guess; hangover from laptop capers - maybe.
But without the crowd - it is boring.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Sure, the crowd adds to it, and sparse crowds detract from it.

But if you love college hoops... boring?

Attendance could be zero, and if the team is fighting for CAA titles like it is this year, I can never find that boring.

I hear what people are saying on involving the HU community more, and absolutely that should be done. But I don't agree with at all with saying it's basically a waste of time to target fans outside that group.

When the building was loud and filled in the past, it was a mix of both. The loudest ones will always be the Lion's Den when it's filled up. But when the place was filled in the past, no way was that all from the Hofstra community. There was far more advertising done, far more even word of mouth about the team and there were plenty of non-HU community fans showing up to check the team out and simply to take in the experience of Mason visiting as a Top 25 team or Hofstra hosting NIT games, or even Hofstra hosting some other big conference games like we're going to have this Thursday. Maybe that can't be done anymore, and maybe it is only the HU community that would be interested now. But isn't it worth it to actually try something and find out? It worked in the past when the effort was actually made to get the word out. It doesn't take that much money or effort to try the same now.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

According to Coach K on Twitter, there's some sort of promotions for the 2 important games this week. Hopefully whatever it is will actually get students there.

Excited about the promotion work for men's game this Thursday vs Unc-W &our game this Friday vs JMU both 7pm Tip!@HofstraPride @HofstraOSLE
https://twitter.com/CoachKSteveskey/sta ... 9975164931