MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:
Cards wrote:sloppy game all around. With a minute to go I really thought we were going to fold.

Nice to see JG make that last shot, but I'm not sure why he did not take it to the hoop. He shot 4-14, so he was not exactly "feeling it", yet he pulls up for a jumper with the score tied and the other team cannot foul him. I'm glad he made it, of course, and it was very clutch, but I thought it was a poor shot to take.

The "Rok", "Rok" n Roll, "Rok" Solid, "Rok" of Gibralter, --- The guy is unstoppable. UNCW will be a good test, as they do have size.
Green said in the post game presser that they were playing great help defense so he thought better of driving to the basket to draw the foul. He is a player!
Yet the drive -- and a slight push-off (?), but not enough to call -- got the defender on his heels and created separation for the step-back, fade-away game-winner.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Rok was a man amongst boys out there tonight. His post game, hands, and rebounding have improved greatly since last year..

What is going on with Bernardi? The kid stinks lately.. I understand he is in a slump, and will shoot his way out of it, but damn.. I wish Buie played more tonight..

'Ye made one of the best passes I have seen this season on the dime to Tanksley for the And-1.. He played very smart today.. Also came up huge with his shot at the end.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Maybe it is me - but that was one of the worst coached games I have ever seen out JAM.

Your playing a bad team - you stubbornly use none of our bench (except DB) - your plan of allocating minute and keep the main five fresh is leaving our team flat footed in the 2nd half - they have no to stop our stud RG- and we win by a basket??!!??

If you can't use JFW and AW to play against this team when we are up 12 points, then they are never going to get minutes - if your going to go with 5 guys and DB, then use your timeouts - if you wanted to bury Elon when we are up 12 and get the game out of reach feed RG till the cows come home (don't stop) -

Sorry guys, my opinion, not looking for 20 point blow out but this game should not have been close - a W is a W but this wasn't a good one -

Go HU Beat Drexel
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra wrote: What is going on with Bernardi? The kid stinks lately.. I understand he is in a slump, and will shoot his way out of it, but damn.. I wish Buie played more tonight..
His slump has been pretty much the entire conference slate. I think it's been enough games that it shouldn't even considered a slump anymore. Something has to be wrong, whether it's mentally or mechanically.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Charleston, which blew a 30-20 lead with 13 min left to lose in OT, 68-61).
Charleston was down 50-30 until they scored with 13:00 left, and they beat Northeastern in overtime. Northeastern played without Quincy Ford, and their leading scorer, David Walker, shot field goals 4-18.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2016/1/ ... 64335.aspx is Elon's recap titled "Elon’s Comeback Falls Short in 66-64 Loss at Hofstra."
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: Charleston, which blew a 30-20 lead with 13 min left to lose in OT, 68-61).
Charleston was down 50-30 until they scored with 13:00 left, and they beat Northeastern in overtime. Northeastern played without Quincy Ford, and their leading scorer, David Walker, shot field goals 4-18.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2016/1/ ... 64335.aspx is Elon's recap titled "Elon’s Comeback Falls Short in 66-64 Loss at Hofstra."
Wow, that's like the worst typo ever lol - I meant 50-30 (I guess I wrote it thinking they were up 20, 50-30, and my fingers typed 30-20). Obviously, it's time to go to bed.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

DaHupride- Couldn't agree more.. JAM was bad tonight. Another concern I had was that he didnt sub offense/defense.. Rok was really horrific down the stretch from the line, had to take him out on offense..

Not playing our bench is going to cost us this season.. Tonight should have been the Andre Walker/JWF coming out party. He relegated them to the bench for the most part tonight.. sucks
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Amazing. Our team is in first place. Halfway through conference slate and some of you are saying our coach was terrible tonight. Not sure what else he can do to make you happy. Do you all go to practice ever? I don't but I'm sure that plays a role in when and if different people play. He coached his team to a win. Give the guy an ounce of credit. ONE TIME
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Give JM credit that he listens to a star player at the end of a game. Sometimes you just know you can make a game winning shot during the last few seconds. Give JG credit that he wants the ball. To hold Elon in the 60s and have fouls to give to use on defense at the end of a CAA game speaks volumes. A win is a win, just move on to Drexel. There are no extra points for style. A 7-2 record at the half way point in the CAA schedule is just about where most of us thought the team would be. After DU, the next three games are against UNCW, at JMU, and at CW&M. We will know more about the seedings for the CAAT and the new player rotation at that time. Remember that JM has been coaching for a long time, I think he knows the strengths and weaknesses of his players. I just wish there was an increase in attendance for the remaining four home games.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Walker had 2 blocks in 5 minutes of action. I mean he isn't going to do anything on offense but defense like that has to be worth 10 minutes a game. Rok had another awesome game but he wasn't challenging anyone on the defensive end after he picked up his 3rd foul.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Koon's putback slam dunk was the #3 Gym Gem on CBB Live on ESPN tonight!
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Walker had 2 blocks in 5 minutes of action. I mean he isn't going to do anything on offense but defense like that has to be worth 10 minutes a game. Rok had another awesome game but he wasn't challenging anyone on the defensive end after he picked up his 3rd foul.
You realize Gustys had 23 and 19, right? You also realize he can't play the two of them together, right?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

pridehoops2015 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:Walker had 2 blocks in 5 minutes of action. I mean he isn't going to do anything on offense but defense like that has to be worth 10 minutes a game. Rok had another awesome game but he wasn't challenging anyone on the defensive end after he picked up his 3rd foul.
You realize Gustys had 23 and 19, right? You also realize he can't play the two of them together, right?
I am not trying to say anything negative about Gustys here but most of that 23-19 was done before he picked up the 3rd foul. I think he got maybe 3 or 4 points and 2 rebounds after getting the 3rd foul.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

so what you are saying is andre walker, who has played almost no minutes all season, should come into the game with about 6-7 minutes left? for what reason? rokas was getting every rebound when he was in.

btw - after he picked up his 3rd foul he had 20% of our pts the rest of the game and 40% of our rebounds.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Rokus was gassed and in foul trouble. Elon went right at him and almost won the game and then fouled him as they knew he can't hit free throws. We would have been better off subbing ANYONE for him for a couple of minutes down the stretch...put Buie in for him and go small...he has a better chance of shooting 50% from the line.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

pridehoops2015 wrote:so what you are saying is andre walker, who has played almost no minutes all season, should come into the game with about 6-7 minutes left? for what reason? rokas was getting every rebound when he was in.

btw - after he picked up his 3rd foul he had 20% of our pts the rest of the game and 40% of our rebounds.
I am not trying to argue that Walker is better than Gustys; I am a huge Gustys fan. All I am saying is 2 blocks in 5 minutes is definitely worth some playing time; maybe in a larger sample size it doesn't work out but I think its worth a shot to try.

I was working while watching the video feed so I will take your word for it that he was grabbing all the rebounds even after his 3rd foul; if that the case then I do agree with you it made sense to leave Gustys in.

Lets see how Walker does vs Drexel as they are a bigger lineup.

Again I think my initial comment might have been taken the wrong way; I am rooting for Gustys every game and love watching him play. I was more just pointing out Walker maybe be able to contribute more than 5 minutes a game and help fill the gap left by Nichols.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Rokus was gassed and in foul trouble. Elon went right at him and almost won the game and then fouled him as they knew he can't hit free throws. We would have been better off subbing ANYONE for him for a couple of minutes down the stretch...put Buie in for him and go small...he has a better chance of shooting 50% from the line.
You can say that, but a couple of things to consider:

1) At 64-64, with :17.3 left, Gustys got the HUGE defensive rebound off of Eddy's missed FT, which led to Green's game-winner. I doubt Buie's getting that board. And if he doesn't, and no one else does for HU, we could be having a much different conversation about how HU gave away a sure win in a bad loss. It's precisely because of a play like that clutch rebound that Gustys needs to stay in there when he's putting up 20/20 games and fouling less often than before. You simply live with the poor FT shooting, help him work on it, and try to keep the ball out of his hands when you know opponents are trying to foul you in late game situations.

2) Granted, Gustys was an atrocious 3/10 at the line, but that doesn't excuse the rest of the team going 8/15, including Bernardi, HU's best FT shooter (88.9%) missing a technical FT before the opening tip or
Green (HU's second-best FT shooter at a normally reliable 79.5%) going 3/6. The game never even gets to the point it was at if EVERYONE, not just Rokas, had hit their FTs the way they should have. If they ALL had done that, we're not even talking about Rok's 3/10 at the line or how gassed he was. We're talking about his 23 & 19 in a 10 or 12 point win, how he nearly had a ridiculous third 20/20 game in the past four, and whether we think it will be this year or the following one (or even both) that HE might be the CAA POY if he continues to trend the way he has been this year.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Koon's putback slam dunk was the #3 Gym Gem on CBB Live on ESPN tonight!
Here it is, #9 on SportsCenter top 10! Koon is the 2nd HU player to make the SC top 10 this season, as men's soccer player Joe Holland's goal against Delaware in the CAA Championship game was #1.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/6 ... 9028034561
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:
Cards wrote:sloppy game all around. With a minute to go I really thought we were going to fold.

Nice to see JG make that last shot, but I'm not sure why he did not take it to the hoop. He shot 4-14, so he was not exactly "feeling it", yet he pulls up for a jumper with the score tied and the other team cannot foul him. I'm glad he made it, of course, and it was very clutch, but I thought it was a poor shot to take.

The "Rok", "Rok" n Roll, "Rok" Solid, "Rok" of Gibralter, --- The guy is unstoppable. UNCW will be a good test, as they do have size.
Green said in the post game presser that they were playing great help defense so he thought better of driving to the basket to draw the foul. He is a player!
Yet the drive -- and a slight push-off (?), but not enough to call -- got the defender on his heels and created separation for the step-back, fade-away game-winner.

Just had a chance to listen to the post game presser. I have no problem with JG taking the jumper as long as he had first thought of going strong to the hoop. Since he said he first thought of driving before considering the help defense, I am good with that. I agree with the thought process. My comment is one from 10 rows up in the stands, not from out on the floor......JG made the right decision in the right situation and then executed.....He is the right guy for that situation.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Just had a chance to listen to the post game presser. I have no problem with JG taking the jumper as long as he had first thought of going strong to the hoop. Since he said he first thought of driving before considering the help defense, I am good with that. I agree with the thought process. My comment is one from 10 rows up in the stands, not from out on the floor......JG made the right decision in the right situation and then executed.....He is the right guy for that situation.
Yup, great read & reaction on that play. That's why you want him to have the ball in his hands in that situation. And I'm sure if he had been doubled, he'd have found an open man for an open shot. Aside from when he was getting a bit too 3-happy earlier, and not driving, drawing and dishing enough, his decision making is normally very good. And over the past couple of weeks, it's been excellent.