MBB - Depth and Playing Time

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB - Depth and Playing Time

Post by stuball888 »

Joe if you burn his redshirt he will only have one more year left of eligibility . That would be his senior year. He has already played two years at Hofstra.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:Joe if you burn his redshirt he will only have one more year left of eligibility . That would be his senior year. He has already played two years at Hofstra.
Obviously Stu. After his Sr yr in 16-17 here, he could play a grad yr elswhere. That would soften any perceived injustice to JR

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

He would only have one semester of eligibility left.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Ok, I thought you could get a 5th yr by being a grad transfer. I stand corrected.

I believe he could apply for a waiver, though. That makes the scenario less attractive for JR, with it not being a sure thing.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Why would he get a waiver, he was not injured, did not miss school or anything like that...Maybe we can fly a magic carpet to Mali and get Djambo back.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I guess...it seems like its not too hard to get a waiver. Not like he's a projected starter, even next year. Could be a nice role player, although more on the offensive side.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Didn't the NCAA eliminate waivers? I'm pretty sure if he plays at all this year, it counts as the entire season, regardless of him not playing a whole semester.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

PoP is right he plays now he losses the entire year. Basically only 10 games left of a 31 game season.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

They can't burn Robinson's redshirt at this point. You always have to prepare for the worst case scenario, if the staff still felt that Robinson should take the redshirt year, they have to stick to their guns.

It's time for more Wright-Foreman and Walker, that is the only logical option. More minutes for Buie as well of course. The starters will continue to log major minutes, but the rest of the bench needs to pick up the 20-25 minutes Nichols was good for every night.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There are many cases where a redshirt has been burned in situations like this. In fact I was talking to Jeff Hathaway a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that it happened at UNCONN under his watch several years ago
Wags

Post by Wags »

Really feel for Malik first and foremost, and for the team. He was a great 6th man for this team, and to lose him in a year like this, when you already have a short rotation, and when you're primed to finally win the CAA, is incredibly tough.

Burning the redshirt with Robinson makes more sense only because of where this team is this year. If they had no realistic shot, as in recent years, you obviously don't do that. But if using up the redshirt can get help you get to the NCAAT, you do it. Otherwise, some combos of Buie, JWF or Walker would probably not be that much of a fall-off from what Robinson would provide after not playing for so long anyway.

The problem is that none of those four guys, whoever it is, can bring the type of toughness and rebounding, even scoring at time, in such a short time frame off the bench the Nichols did. So there WILL be a tangible falloff from Nichols to any of those guys, which is why the last three (Sans Robinson, with his redshirt) couldn't find much playing time to begin with.

This news sucks and will certainly make it a lot more difficult for HU to achieve what it's planning to this year, but 90% (or more) of the burden of HU's success long-term success this season was going to fall on the five starters anyway, with or without Nichols. Obviously, this makes things much harder, but hope should not be lost by any stretch. The original goals can still be done as long as Green & Gustys can largely maintain their levels of recent play, if Tanksley can mostly remain as disciplined and efficient as he was in the past two games, if Koon can continue to contribute as productively as he as recently and if Bernardi can regain his hot hand and not cool off so much again, the way he has over the past three games. Throw in marginal contributions from whoever, doesn't matter if it's Robinson or the other three, and the same season goals HU had before can very much remain the same season goals.

Just a shame that if HU can still pull it off, that Nichols won't come along for the ride, because he absolutely deserved to as an integral part of the team. But he still will to a large degree in the locker room and on the bench.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

What I think will happen is the minutes will be distributed between AW and JWF. DB will continue to play about 10-15 mpg.

I think we might be pleasantly surprised if they decide to unleash the potential of JWF. May be the best athlete on the team.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jamall has been practicing every day with the team...he would be ready to play
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Ideally, I would like Jamall to play as well, but I doubt it will happen
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:This news sucks and will certainly make it a lot more difficult for HU to achieve what it's planning to this year, but 90% (or more) of the burden of HU's success long-term success this season was going to fall on the five starters anyway, with or without Nichols.
91.1% of the burden has fallen on our starters this year, to be exact!! While Malik's loss is tangible, he was averaging less than 15 minutes per game in CAA play, we can replace the minutes.

I hope burning Jamal's redshirt year is not on the table right now. Robinson and Sabety could have played this year, but I think Sabety would have been required to be non-scholarship. Point being, the coaching staff consciously decided to take only nine players into the season. Injuries happen, if the staff still felt that they can win with these nine players, that's how it should stay, even though I do believe Robinson could have been a key role player all year, especially now.

Walker's going to need to get some more time, Rokas cannot play 40 minutes a game. JWF and Walker have the physical ability to step up and contribute, I think we will see them start playing well once they know they won't get yanked if they mess up. Even just watching the game, it's frustrating to watch Walker and JWF get thrown in like pawns for 30 seconds at a time, just to get immediately yanked. It has to affect their play somewhat.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Sabety could have played this year? ive never heard that before. is that confirmed?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Sabety could not have played this year. He transferred to a Div One program thus he must sit a year. Had he gone from Div One to Two or Three he could play right away.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Sabety transferred from D3 Tufts, but this announcement says he has to sit out a year per NCAA regulations:

http://gohofstra.com/news/2015/5/19/MBB_0519150526.aspx
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

people on these boards need to stop passing along false information.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:Sabety transferred from D3 Tufts, but this announcement says he has to sit out a year per NCAA regulations:

http://gohofstra.com/news/2015/5/19/MBB_0519150526.aspx
That's what I said.