MBB - Depth and Playing Time

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB - Depth and Playing Time

Post by Polito »

I really like your UD example Wags, and appreciate you bringing that perspective to me - and it's true, that did happen, so can't argue that it's impossible - it's just very very difficult to win this league with no real help off the pine

I don't expect the bench guys to play 15 min each, just enough to get them in a position to actually help the team, or at the very least, sustain the current level when they enter a game - you do not want to have huge drop-off when it matters most, or when you have no choice - now is the time to stabilize (technically that time was the OOC, but alas, I'll move on)

That said, I also understand this isn't simple plug-and-play talent like at a Duke or UK - mids don't have 4 star guys sitting on the bench ready to win a game at a moments notice - there is of course a drop off in talent, esp at this mid level - so I hope my desire is not being misread - HU simply needs to have some serviceable depth

The real positive for me lately is they actually seem to be getting there, using some of these guys a bit more and a bit earlier in games - I am surprised, pleasantly - I'd still like a handful more minutes, but I won't argue the team is winning - and that's what matters right now

*IF* they can develop DB, AW, and JWF just a bit more, just enough to be useful in a pinch, THEN this club would still have a legit shot to take it all IMO - because as I've felt from the start, the core starting group (the 5-6 regular guys) has what it takes to make HU history
Wags

Post by Wags »

No. 19 Iowa State just knocked off No. 1 Oklahoma tonight, playing their starters for 35, 37, 34, 40 and 38 minutes.

The only two bench guys to play for the Cyclones played 10 and 6 minutes, took a total of 3 shots between them and were outscored by Oklahoma's bench 17-0.

And that was with Oklahoma going 17-for-32 from 3, while Iowa State went 8-for-21 from there.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I get it other teams play with a short bench.

I think we all agree - Green, Bernardi, Tansley Gustys and Koon all are deserving of major minutes - and we are less concerned about the amount of minutes but how these five guys can possibly be saved from fatigue and foul trouble. I am unsure of the other teams mentioned - but our D with our main 5 isn't great - when teams know we have a short bench and can get RG out of the game by draw fouls on him they start pounding the ball in and right from the start he can't play aggressively with the risk of getting early fouls. As far as fatigue - I am not sure if we are in better or worse shape then other teams with a short bench - but RG and DK seem gassed; JG and AT take a pounding going to the hoop - and all can use a 3-5 minute breather a game.

I think everyone is impressed with DB and would be comfortable when he can spell both JG and BB and added another 6 minutes a game; MN isn't going to get anymore minutes the way things are now, he gets fouls called on him the second his sneakers hit the floor; AW can sub in for RG and DK and also get another 6 minutes per game and JFW can give AT 4 minutes per game breather.

This is just my math and amateur basketball coaching theory - I am resigned to the fact that none of these guys - DB, AW or JWF - are going to see much more light then they are nora and the way JAM subs.

Go Pride!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote: JG and AT take a pounding going to the hoop.
Green, yes.

Tanskley, not nearly enough - he's just been jacking up jumpers and missing.... 6 FTAs in the past two games, while going 7-for-33 from the floor, including 2-for-15 from 3.

Last game, 4-for-20, 1-for-9 from 3 and a whopping TWO FTAs!

He should be fresh and shouldn't need to sub out with all of the standing around, lack of moving without the ball and jump shooting he's been doing lately. It would be great if he got back to being as aggressive as you're suggesting he still is.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Those stats on Tanksley are pretty damning! Gotta agree with you Wags
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Green, yes.

Tanskley, not nearly enough - he's just been jacking up jumpers and missing.... 6 FTAs in the past two games, while going 7-for-33 from the floor, including 2-for-15 from 3.

He should be fresh and shouldn't need to sub out with all of the standing around, lack of moving without the ball and jump shooting he's been doing lately. It would be great if he got back to being as aggressive as you're suggesting he still is.
thanks wags
good points - I didn't look at the stats and the stats confirm your points - what I meant in regards to AT was the aches and pains he has been playing with
that being said - he should be adjusting his game and drawing more fouls - after seeing those stats
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good examples Wags, can't say it's impossible, there are times where some teams can go starters or bust and pull it off... I just wonder if HU has that level of talent - or if the CAA this year is ripe for that scenario this yr

That's been raised in other threads as well, specifically in regards to their 3 shooting - these guys are playing their butts off, there is no question in my mind about that after seeing several games - and I LOVE and APPRECIATE the heck out of that, they deserve fan support - but sometimes that's just not quite enough... having most of the starters display such streakiness is making things extra difficult

unfortunately, the one 3 day tourney they played and the one OT game they had so far, they went all in on starters and still came up short - that's scary to me for the CAAT, so I've been clamoring for better bench use to help alleviate some of the scoring droughts and tired legs - I think that would go FAR in terms of winning the conf

tough topic as I don't want to bash players, esp when the effort is A+, but no matter the effort, a certain level of talent and/or consistency is still required to be champions - time will tell if they can make it happen.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Listen to Coach Steveskey's comments about depth in this week's WB Mason Coaches report, primarily at the 3 minute and 6 minute marks. She talks about how it's important to be deep enough that when one player is having a bad shooting night, someone steps up and takes over. WIth the men's team, it's seems like when one of our shooters is having a rough night, almost the entire team does as well. She also talks about how essential it is that the bench players get minutes, so that they have the confidence to come in and play valuable time during the conference season. One of our coaches understands the importance of having a deep bench and actually using it, while the other doesn't seem to. JAM could learn a thing or two from his office mate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db-69ZpXfyQ
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I wonder how he's won over 300 games in his career !? It's amazing !
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
Wags wrote:
Green, yes.

thanks wags
good points - I didn't look at the stats and the stats confirm your points - what I meant in regards to AT was the aches and pains he has been playing with
that being said - he should be adjusting his game and drawing more fouls - after seeing those stats
And passing more when his shot isn't falling!

Everyone can have an off night or a shooting slump over a few games, but the one key stat I didn't list here (I think I might have in the JMU game thread) is that while he was putting up the shooting numbers he did vs. JMU while not getting to the line, he also had ZERO assists in that game. At least while Green struggled with his shot and probably shot too many 3s in that game (4-13 fg, 2-8 3pt fg), he still found a way to have 9 assists. Tanskely couldn't find a way to get ONE, while missing 16 of 20 shots and taking only 2 FT? Basically, whatever your best strength is, when that's not on that day, do SOMETHING else to help your team win a game.

Again, as I've been saying since the preseason, this team goes as far as Tanksley does in stepping up and consistently being the No. 2 guy to complement Green. When those two are both at peak efficiency, the contributions of Gustys, Bernardi, Koon, whoever else -- whether you want to expand the rotation (as others are calling for here) or leave it as is -- are all gravy. They're needed, for sure, but it will be the combo of the two guys that are supposed to be the two senior leader starters that will either put this team on its back as a duo or let it ultimately fall short of expectations. Thus far, Green is holding up his end a bit more in terms of consistency. Need Tanskley to join him.

After all, while we're talking about playing time for guys like Walker, Buie and JWF, isn't THAT the reason Mihalich got both of his big-time Niagara guys to follow him to Hofstra? To be in this EXACT position? To be in first place in the CAA, as the conference preseason favorite, both as seniors? Time for that duo to become the unquestioned leaders in the ways that they left Niagara for. TOGETHER.

STEP. UP. AND. LEAD.

(can't think of a better time to this point in the year to do that than being in a 6-way tie for first, heading to Northeastern tomorrow before hosting William & Mary two days later - let's see what they're made of; i still expect big things).
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Might sound obvious, but I'd much rather have BB taking threes than AT or JG. And JG and RG should run the pick and roll all day. Just sayin...
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I don't think my sarcasm came through.....
He's won 300 plus games.
He knows what he's doing. I'm quite sure of that !
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

As JAM said, let shooters shoot...we'll live and die with these guys and the way we play now...hopefully we'll adjust a bit as there are no secrets in the CAA and teams are taking away BB and some other things we want to do....we'll see starting tomorrow.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:Might sound obvious, but I'd much rather have BB taking threes than AT or JG. And JG and RG should run the pick and roll all day. Just sayin...
Bernardi can be streaky, but the numbers from 3 on those 3 guys (BB far more consistent than JG and AT) and the production we've seen on the PnR from Juan'ya & Rokas back up what you said.

Green drives, draws defenders, then either PnR with Rokas first, and if not there, kick out to Bernardi or Tanksley, or Green scoring at the rim or getting to the line. When they do those things, with that type of priority in terms of what they look for first, second, third, they are tough to beat. When they get into bad habits of not attacking the rim with Green and everyone becoming stagnant and settling for too many 3s from not only Bernardi, but from Tanskley and Green as well, they become much easier to defend and a lot easier to beat.
Wags

Post by Wags »

All of the talk all season long about playing time and guys being too gassed at the ends of games because of a lack of depth.

And then, with the bench playing all of 16 min (Nichols 9, Buie 7), they gut out a 96-92 win on the floor of the defending CAA champions in triple overtime, with these minutes being logged: Green 55, Koon 53, Gustys 52, Bernardi 50, Tanskley 49.

So what's the narrative now?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote:All of the talk all season long about playing time and guys being too gassed at the ends of games because of a lack of depth.

And then, with the bench playing all of 16 min (Nichols 9, Buie 7), they gut out a 96-92 win on the floor of the defending CAA champions in triple overtime, with these minutes being logged: Green 55, Koon 53, Gustys 52, Bernardi 50, Tanskley 49.

The narrative now is that the CAA, and every team involved in the conference, is crazy and unpredictable, and there's no explanation for anything that happens.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Sort of like politics today there is no logically explanation.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Wags wrote:All of the talk all season long about playing time and guys being too gassed at the ends of games because of a lack of depth.

The narrative now is that the CAA, and every team involved in the conference, is crazy and unpredictable, and there's no explanation for anything that happens.
Except that I've been saying all season long not to get so hung up on depth and playing time. It's more important to be executing, even if that's mostly from just the starters in a very short rotation.

By the way, if you believe in plus/minus numbers, the two bench guys, in their limited minutes, were both minus tonight. Each of the five starters, playing 49-55 minutes, were each plus.
Wags

Post by Wags »

These numbers are insane:

Hofstra starters have logged a total of 466 minutes over the past two games.

Green 99
Koon 96
Bernardi 92
Tanksley 90
Gustys 89

Green has pretty much played the equivalent of 2 1/2 games with only one minute of rest over the past two games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

These are some really lopsided numbers for a triple overtime game.

27 seconds are missing from these times in the box score, but close enough to underscore how bad it would have been to let this one get away:

Hofstra led for 44:28
Northeastern led for 5:34
Game was tied for 4:31