Men's Basketball vs. James Madison On 1/16/2016 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Men's Basketball vs. James Madison On 1/16/2016 at 4:00

Post by Cards »

Cant discount what we will get from Powers either. Between the two, I think we will replace the pts and assists that Green generates. We will have to wait and see if the late in the game drive and draw contact can be replaced as well.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:That IS true. But all it takes is one game like yesterday in Baltimore, where everyone's off, and they're still taking too many 3s instead of higher percentage shots, and its season over. So when they're not falling from that range, don't put up 35 of them. Move the ball, move without the ball more, don't settle, and find other, higher percentage ways to score.
I know what you're saying, but the shot selection was largely the product of the defense JMU played. Good teams take what they are given, we just did not take advantage.

In the starting five, only Rokas shoots over 50% while taking two point attempts. Bernardi is a 36% two point shooter, 45% from three.

Here's the reality, Juan'ya averages .90 per two point shot attempt, he averages .94 per three point shot attempt. Juan'ya shoots 45% for two point attempts, 31.5% from three.

I think we mix it up our shot selection pretty good, we just don't have guys that can get to the rack and draw fouls, beyond Green and sometimes Tanksley.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Wags wrote:That IS true. But all it takes is one game like yesterday in Baltimore, where everyone's off, and they're still taking too many 3s instead of higher percentage shots, and its season over. So when they're not falling from that range, don't put up 35 of them. Move the ball, move without the ball more, don't settle, and find other, higher percentage ways to score.
I know what you're saying, but the shot selection was largely the product of the defense JMU played. Good teams take what they are given, we just did not take advantage.

In the starting five, only Rokas shoots over 50% while taking two point attempts. Bernardi is a 36% two point shooter, 45% from three.

Here's the reality, Juan'ya averages .90 per two point shot attempt, he averages .94 per three point shot attempt. Juan'ya shoots 45% for two point attempts, 31.5% from three.

I think we mix it up our shot selection pretty good, we just don't have guys that can get to the rack and draw fouls, beyond Green and sometimes Tanksley.
Green obviously has the ball more than anyone else and runs the offense. Doing what you just said -- getting to the rack and drawing fouls, as well as driving, drawing and dishing -- should always be his to priority. When it is, that's when Hofstra is at its best and very tough to beat in the CAA.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Dooku25 wrote: When Charles was a senior, 3 CAA teams made the NCAA tournament. 1 of the 3 made the Final 4. Do you really think this year's league is better? Throw in the fact that Juan'ya has a much better supporting cast and much easier conference tournament site. Charles had 4 chances with worse teams in a tougher conference plain and simple.
The CAA has a better Conference RPI (.5237 to .5221) and a better out of conference winning percentage (.5943 to .5857) than in Jenkins' senior season. This season's league might be better and easier to win (even though those two things don't sound like they go together) because of the distribution of how good the teams are.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Dooku25 wrote: When Charles was a senior, 3 CAA teams made the NCAA tournament. 1 of the 3 made the Final 4. Do you really think this year's league is better? Throw in the fact that Juan'ya has a much better supporting cast and much easier conference tournament site. Charles had 4 chances with worse teams in a tougher conference plain and simple.
The CAA has a better Conference RPI (.5237 to .5221) and a better out of conference winning percentage (.5943 to .5857) than in Jenkins' senior season. This season's league might be better and easier to win (even though those two things don't sound like they go together) because of the distribution of how good the teams are.
Green also never had to (and of course won't have to) get to the NCAA tourney through Richmond, like Charles had to, instead of doing so through Baltimore.

The CAA may be a little deeper now, but at the top, the teams you have to get past to get to where you want to go, is much easier now that it was when Charles played. This Hofstra team would not have been the preseason league favorite, maybe not even picked in the top 3 back then.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

you all can defend charles as long as you want but you cant say juanya isnt a great player if he doesnt get us to the ncaa tournament...and then turn around and still call charles a great player. sorry.

i think charles was a GREAT player. but you cant make your argument just work for you.

charles' teams weren't all bad. he had very good supporting casts prior to his senior season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

both are great guards IMO, just in slightly different ways (and no, the NCAAT is not the barometer for a great player here)

CJ was an under recruited guy who developed himself into an NBA draft pick - he had NO supporting cast to speak of for any significant length of time - real impact guys his 4 yrs in order are Sr Agudio, no one, FR Kanacevic and Williams, and JR Transfer Mike Moore - with all due respect to the other guys during that time, in 4 yrs that's WEAK. He was a 1 man wrecking crew, even with teams easily keying on him - he was a takeover player, and I rarely remember him ever being MIA

JG is very talented, and can also control a game when he wants to - getting drafted would cement his college legacy - he lacks D, and completely disappears from games way too often - but he's an all-conf guy at 2 diff schools in 2 diff conferences, is a do-all kind of player with tremendous creating ability, and one of the best assist guys we've ever seen here - quite frankly he is the PRIMARY reason HU is even in contention for the CAA - no JG, and there is ZERO NCAAT discussion. He will be missed next yr, and I'm grateful he chose to complete his career at HU.

as for the game, not making shots and having depth are related - when certain guys are off, you need others to step in - starters had NO legs at the end/in OT and the off/short shots showed it - the delusion that these guys don't get gassed, or that the minute distribution / depth building is fine doesn't add up, and this game proved it. This was just a 5 min OT, what about the CAAT? Bringing in a 6 ft freshman to replace RG in the post is just asking for a loss... and they got it. It wasn't the sole reason, but it def contributed to it. No problem with Bernadi shooting, that's his JOB if he's open - AT and JG can and should take 3's in certain situations - for example if JG is looking to lead and take back control, make a statement, or is just 'feeling it', etc.

Wags, you my friend are on it - this team perpetuates scoring droughts by forcing 3 after 3 instead of driving the lane, drawing contact, dishing to the post, etc. It's a recipe for disaster in OT or the CAAT if your 3's aren't falling. Honestly, I think if they would've used the lane/post during the JMU game they would've ended the drought sooner and likely won the game. They have the ability, they just need to use a different strategy - chucking up shots is not the answer. No, you can't go to RG forever, but the dude was DOMINATING so when a tight tough game is winding down you keep going until they prove they can stop him. Isn't that what they're doing by only playing 6 guys and launching 3's? Why not do the same for a hot player when it's WORKING?!?!?

I want these Srs to go out on top in the worst way. That's the reason for the passion. I actually DO see some possibility here, more than I did before, but man, they need to make some key scoring attack adjustments - I'll concede they're not going to be a lock down D team, SO if they can limit their scoring droughts, well then that may be the strategy to go out champs.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:as for the game, not making shots and having depth are related - when certain guys are off, you need others to step in - starters had NO legs at the end/in OT and the off/short shots showed it - the delusion that these guys don't get gassed, or that the minute distribution / depth building is fine doesn't add up, and this game proved it. This was just a 5 min OT, what about the CAAT? Bringing in a 6 ft freshman to replace RG in the post is just asking for a loss... and they got it. It wasn't the sole reason, but it def contributed to it. No problem with Bernadi shooting, that's his JOB if he's open - AT and JG can and should take 3's in certain situations - for example if JG is looking to lead and take back control, make a statement, or is just 'feeling it', etc.
I completely agree here. No reason why JWF should not have been in the game for 5-10 minutes. If the shot's aren't falling why not try another shooter off your bench; at the very least I can't imagine he would have hurt us. And with MN in early foul trouble they should have at least given AW 3-5 minutes in the first half to help keep RG rested. I feel like if coach did this we would have won this game; maybe I am wrong but I just can't see why we aren't giving them some game time chances to see what happens.
garyg

Post by garyg »

No reason AW and JWF should not be getting a few minutes each half...good for short term and long term...JWF would provide energy/scoring ability off bench and AW would clog up lane a bit...grab a few rebounds,,,hit a layup or two...and provide an interior defensive presence...
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

garyg wrote:No reason AW and JWF should not be getting a few minutes each half...good for short term and long term...JWF would provide energy/scoring ability off bench and AW would clog up lane a bit...grab a few rebounds,,,hit a layup or two...and provide an interior defensive presence...
I completely agree about JWF and agree AW should get some PT, but AW looks absolutely lost on the offensive end. I'm not sure if it's simply lack of time, nerves or what but he just doesn't look like he knows what to do there and I wonder if that's the big reason he doesn't play. I like what he can do on D, but liability on O for sure.

One other issue I keep noticing is how quickly the team tries to get back on D after a 3 pointer is launched. Many of those misses end up in long rebounds and we already have three guys who have gotten back before it hits the rim - easy rebound for the opposition. Since we can't stop anyone anyway, maybe it would make sense for at least one of the guards to stay engaged in case it bounces out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Pride97 wrote:
garyg wrote:No reason AW and JWF should not be getting a few minutes each half...good for short term and long term...JWF would provide energy/scoring ability off bench and AW would clog up lane a bit...grab a few rebounds,,,hit a layup or two...and provide an interior defensive presence...
I completely agree about JWF and agree AW should get some PT, but AW looks absolutely lost on the offensive end. I'm not sure if it's simply lack of time, nerves or what but he just doesn't look like he knows what to do there and I wonder if that's the big reason he doesn't play. I like what he can do on D, but liability on O for sure.

One other issue I keep noticing is how quickly the team tries to get back on D after a 3 pointer is launched. Many of those misses end up in long rebounds and we already have three guys who have gotten back before it hits the rim - easy rebound for the opposition. Since we can't stop anyone anyway, maybe it would make sense for at least one of the guards to stay engaged in case it bounces out.

I definitely agree that AW doesn't really look like he does much on offense but offense really isn't our problem. Maybe with him out there the defense might start double teaming the guy with the ball or something but I am sure he can at least hit an open layup or dunk which should get them to stop doing that.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly, guys like AW and JWF need to be used in certain situations - and the issue I have is they are not.

The end of OT against JMU is 100% where you use AW to provide D - you don't need him for offense in that scenario - when RG fouls out you put in AW, that is an absolute NO-BRAINER and it should've been automatic - you do NOT replace RG with DB - that was just truly a baffling move

and it cost them - I guarantee with AW in that spot JMU does not go down low and put in an easy bucket the way they did - it would've completely altered their attack plan and their shot selection - I'm going to have a VERY hard time getting past JM refusing to use a 6'10 center known for D in that scenario and opting to put in a friggin 6 ft FRESHMAN

I really just can't get past it. If we're being real, it was a boneheaded stubborn move. At least if JMU beat AW in that spot, then so be it, they beat your backup - NO ONE in their right mind would've said, wow coach, you really should've used Buie there :roll: - It's like he refuses to do what makes sense out of spite or something - and it's driving me crazy, it could easily cost them the tourney. This was a monster game, they just needed a defensive stop to get the ball back, and that poor choice directly factored into losing the game

To not use the only friggin guy you have that plays any ounce of effective D in the post is extremely frustrating - was bad in the OOC, and now it's costing them key conf games. :x
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

"known for his D" ??????

by whom ?

Nature and nurture.....you need both to be a player. He has the nature....he's 6'10"....he has learned/worked-on nothing else. Dalembert would have eaten his lunch and then we would have had nothing on the offensive end !!!

(BTW, DB was left alone due to a poor rotation by the middle. And in a 1-3-1 he IS the type of player who runs the baseline.)

Give me a break already with this playing time nonsense. The biggest gap in the rotation is due to a visa. That's it....plain and simple.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

dutchiedoright wrote:"known for his D" ??????

by whom ?

Nature and nurture.....you need both to be a player. He has the nature....he's 6'10"....he has learned/worked-on nothing else. Dalembert would have eaten his lunch and then we would have had nothing on the offensive end !!!

(BTW, DB was left alone due to a poor rotation by the middle. And in a 1-3-1 he IS the type of player who runs the baseline.)

Give me a break already with this playing time nonsense. The biggest gap in the rotation is due to a visa. That's it....plain and simple.
Agree with this. I want to like AW, but outside of him being 6'10" I don't see much else at this point.