WAKE UP CALL STAFF AND FANS - REALITY CHECK TIME

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: WAKE UP CALL STAFF AND FANS - REALITY CHECK TIME

Post by HUSID80 »

hofstrahall wrote:
Polito wrote:Ok people, let's get to it - time to look at the truth of this season - this is for us fans and those connected to the program who browse here (looking right at you ph2015)

Best brace yourselves folks and reset your expectations, this team is not the best team in the CAA. And this squad as it stands now is not winning the CAAT, nor making the NCAAT. And that was my impression from *GAME 1* where they looked like many other HU teams that left opportunity on the table. You cannot in any sane mind believe you are taking this conf with no D and no Depth - anyone with any delusions otherwise is just fooling themselves. And if anyone on this staff thinks they're cutting nets and kissing babies on their way to the NCAAT with 6-7 guys, 0 bench production, and a swiss cheese D, they should exit and stop wasting the time and $ of everyone involved.

They wanted the expectations... they got them... and they're not living up to them. We all know the reasons, the causes, for what's happening - a blind bat could figure it out - but this yr it's no excuses, and NONE will be accepted.

Defense
Anyone still joking around about the D? Still funny, or no? Yeah...didn't think so. Fixing the D is something they should have worked on in the OFFSEASON, not halfway through a live one. Please learn this hard lesson for next yr.
Depth
The Djambo situation stinks, but that is no excuse to not play the rest of your bench. You are literally gambling away Green's final yr and your best shot at the dance in YEARS - knowingly taking that risk is mind boggling - it's going to fail... it IS failing. If this is still a problem in Year 4 the staff needs to be spoken to about what it really takes to win the CAA. And I mean that.

Cannot stress enough how important this 2016 class is. On a richter scale of 1-10, I'd say it's about a 400.

Winning the CAA
As others have mentioned, have seen NOTHING that gives any confidence they can win 3 in 3 - seen plenty of the opposite - if this is what they're going with in terms of rotation, and the D stays as is, it ain't happening. You cannot run through all of CAA play with the same 5 guys every game, then expect them to shoot lights out AND play some level of effective D in 3 straight high-intensity games - they're not doing that in SINGLE games right now. Feels like we are watching the season goals slip away, and it's frustrating.

Overall
20+ wins is doable but FAR from a lock, and if they don't get the above in order asap, when we get to season end they will either be sitting at home or playing in another crap tourney

Like I've said, it's their butts on the line, they have to live with their choices and results - I get to just be a fan. Love the players and the staff, and do believe they all really want to be great for everyone involved - and I KNOW they are working hard - I have a big heart for the whole program, and I am pulling for them badly!

It's certainly not over yet, IF they make IMMEDIATE changes - BUT if they keep beating their heads against the wall come CAA play, well then the sad reality is that's all she wrote.
I agree. I have a few points that others have touched on. This is fairly early in the season and it is OOC schedule. The defense is improving.
The program is improving but as the flagship sport of the University it really is not as good as it should be. Hofstra does not spend anywhere near what other schools do.
I also think Hofstra getting penalized unfairly by other local schools who fail to schedule us because they think Hofstra is not serious about sports and fear a LOSS to Hofstra.
I support the team and the sports but you have to see the reality. Hofstra is in a conference that is football dominant. HOFSTRA belongs in the A-10 or the Patriot League (we beat all those PL schools consistently and routed them in basketball and football in the 80s and 90s and PL denied us multiple times.) Football is gone. Basketball was never as successful as football was and the school is transitioning to a Basketball Flagship with not enough money in a conference where we are outspent.

The reality is Hofstra needs more money so the coaches and the staff can get better recruits to play and have more money to get better opponents. Hofstra needs to win to get out of the CAA. It can win but money is needed.
The staff's hands are tied.

When the head coach states that no local school wanted to play us in the Holiday Festival it shows me that Hofstra is at least trying but the other area schools have their agendas and more money.

Think of it like this: You buy a 200K loaded sports car and the car is fueled. You have a trip planned. Your have your destination but you are driving and all the exit numbers have changed because the GPS system you use cannot upgrade to the new system because you ran out of money. You see your destination but you cannot get there. You look for a map and it is the same you always use and it flies out the window.

Hofstra sees the destination but the resources are limited.
Hofstrahall I don't know where you get the information that the program is not funded properly...we are funded as well or better than every school in the CAA in basketball...our coaching staff makes more money, the school invested in a new practice facility and we can recruit EVERYWHERE...Where are we not well funded??????
Last edited by HUSID80 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HofstraHall...Glad somebody else posted this but lack of resources is not the issue...we are extremely well funded in basketball...among the TOP is the CAA...Jus look at the new practice facility...most CAA schools don NOT HAVE ONE...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

joeg1 wrote:Drop the MAAC mentality where you can win with three good guards...we cannot finish games like this
Guess it doesn't work for Villanova either huh????
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

ProudofPride wrote:I have to disagree with Hofstrahall's argument about money. I think our budget is just fine. The latest data released is for 2014. Hofstra actually had the 3rd largest MBB budget in the CAA, at $2,701,104. That also puts at the 122nd highest budget of all D1 schools. The only 2 schools in the CAA that spend more than us are Drexel (116th in D1) and UNCW (120th) in D1. Last year, we had enough money in the budget, demonstrated by the fact that we paid to host the post-season game against UVM, and would've paid to host subsequent rounds had we won. Maybe the money isn't being budgeted properly within the MBB program, but there certainly is money. http://bbstate.com/all/budget-mbb
The budget is not allocated correctly. I am well aware that we are 3rd in the CAA and we still do not win. The budget needs to be increased. The school has not been to the tournament since 2001. Basically the budget is in the top 33% of all Division 1 schools. Post season was not NIT last year. You cannot win without money. Yes there is money not enough. If you look at what Saint John's (8.2) spends what Fordham ($3.9) spends and what schools like Creighton spends. Hofstra is way behind. The University of Dayton Fliers in the A-10 spends more money ($4.9) than Hofstra.

Hofstra's budget very heavily relies on tuition and when that happens - your options are limited. More money needs to be allocated. Hofstra cannot state we want to make a statement in Division 1 BB and spend that kind of money and expect to be taken seriously.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Maybe I'm unfamiliar with MBB budgeting, but someone please explain to me what StJohns spends $8.2 on vs our $2.7.

I assume we are fully funded (13 full rides available), nice Arena to play in, great practice facility, appears that we travel around (maybe some more flights instead of bus rides), are coaches salaries too low? is there not enough recruiting money? do we need more full time tutors traveling with the team? What does the money get spent on????

Yes I know we certainly could advertise and market more - we are certainly lacking in that area.
Wags

Post by Wags »

hofstrahall wrote: If you look at what Saint John's (8.2) spends what Fordham ($3.9) spends and what schools like Creighton spends... The University of Dayton Fliers in the A-10 spends more money ($4.9) than Hofstra.
Two Big East and two A-10 teams. If you're going to make a fair comparison, compare to the CAA, most of which (as noted above) doesn't spend as much as Hofstra does.

Let's remember our roots in the ECC and America East -- playing in the PFC, without The Mack, without a new training facility, without the ability to play some games on the NBC Sports Network or on SNY -- before opening The Mack only at the tail end of our stay in the AE, and then joining the CAA. This program has come a long way. More could always be spent, but I don't see that as an issue right now. The current budget led to this year's team recruiting good enough talent to be the CAA preseason favorite and to get to the NCAA tourney as CAA champions. If the team fails in that regard, it will be because it didn't live up to expectations, not because enough money wasn't spent to put the team in a solid situation to have success. And I think Mihalich and his staff would all be among the first to admit that. You may raise some fair questions to be considered here (down the road), but can we please see how the season goes first, sitting at 0-0 in the CAA right now, before we decide that we're not spending enough money to adequately compete?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Excellent stuff here everyone... appreciate the great convo and feedback

This thread is not about HU's performance during the regular season - they are a good team, I've acknowledged that often - the starting 5 is strong, talented, and plays well together - they can and likely will win a lot of games, 18-22 wins is certainly doable; but again, that's no lock - I would put $ down they will lose some more bad games in conf, so they need to be focused - the press clippings aren't the reality right now

This is about the only thing that matters this year: winning the CAAT and getting to the NCAAT - the staff has said it's all about those 3 days in March... yep, this year it is - and the way they're managing this team right now, it ain't happening. And I would put $ on that as well. You know why? Because like Wags said, yes we HAVE seen this before, and we know exactly how it plays out: with HU licking it's wounds on yet another decent but wildly disappointing letdown season. You are not winning the CAA without a D or Depth - you are not getting to the dance with 5 gassed starters, and 1-2 minimally productive bench guys sprinkled in for a few min a game. It's NOT HAPPENING. I'm no coach or guru, and I respect this staff, but c'mon, common sense here, this is basketball 101.

We don't need half of conf play to finally figure that out - it's been apparent since game 1. THAT'S what this wake up call thread is about. You don't wait till conf play to develop your bench guys, you do it NOW - you want to throw Walker or JWF into the NE game after riding the pine for 2 months? I sure don't. What's happening here is foolish, and it's going to cost them the prize if they don't change it.

HU has plenty of $, and I don't see any glaring mis managing of it at this time, at least on the surface - I admire your vision and high standards, but let's be fair here - you just compared HU to a number of higher level programs/conferences - heck Dayton is one of the top mids and nearly a NCAAT lock every year - you need to compare HU to the CAA, and in that world, they are top notch - IMO $ is not holding this program back at all

And no, that guard strategy actually doesn't work for Nova either - Nova is just a higher level HU - they win a lot of games, but fail when it matters most - they have yet to fulfill their hype in the NCAAT, it's prob the only big gripe with Wright: recruits great, teams score, but just like HU, they are limited in the tourney setting - and it's getting old there just like here. At some point, you need to EARN your hype.

Nearly every top CAA player is gone from last yr - there is absolutely no acceptable reason for this team not to win it all - NONE. If they fail to get it done because they refuse to develop a bench and don't play D, that will be no ones fault but their own. They are dangerously close to blowing Green and Tanksley's final season...

And that's exactly where this appears to be headed. Scary and concerning. The time is NOW. Stubbornness is for losers. Winners own up, man up, and adapt - I want THAT.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

hofstrahall wrote: HOFSTRA belongs in the A-10 or the Patriot League (we beat all those PL schools consistently and routed them in basketball and football in the 80s and 90s and PL denied us multiple times.)
The CAA has 1 out of 10 school be Christian. The Patriot League has 4 out of 10 schools be Christian and is currenly 21 spots behind the CAA in the Conference RPI. The CAA is 8th out of 32 and the Patriot League is 29th. The Patriot League is normally better than 29th, but it's average Conference RPI rank over the last six complete seasons is 21.5. The Atlantic 10 has 8 out of 14 schools be Christian.
Cards

Post by Cards »

EvanJ - don't quite understand your post and the "Christian" reference?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:EvanJ - don't quite understand your post and the "Christian" reference?
I don't want to speak for Evan, but I think he was saying in terms of fit, since Hofstra isn't a Christian school, it's better suited to remain in a league like the CAA, with hardly any Christian schools, rather than jumping to a league that has a lot of Christian schools, and that if such a league were seeking to add another school, it might be looking to add another Christian school first, before a non-Christian school like Hofstra... kind of the way that when the old Big East disbanded and reformed with almost exclusively Christian schools.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hofstra absolutely needs to be in the A10 for hoops (not for anything else though)

you want to put fans in the seats, you want to land big time talent, that's how you do it - and before anyone wastes their time, spare me the BS about how it's impossible, that HU isn't good enough, blah blah blah

If VCU, GMU, and DAVIDSON did it, and ODU went bigger too, HU can too... in time - HU was in the same conf as 3 of those 4 for TEN YEARS, so let's not act like it's an impossible move or out of their league - yes, it would take a lot of work to make it happen, but that's not the point - that is where they should be working to get to

And considering HU has consistently competed with and beaten several A10 programs over the years, they would certainly be able to hold their own, and then even be something better once recruiting took hold

Just salivate at the idea of home games against Davidson, Dayton, UMass, URI, GW, and of course the new VCU lol, etc etc - attendance solved. recruiting solved. scheduling solved. Hopefully they'll boot SLU soon, who is completely out in left field regionally - no sense for them to be in the A10 at all...

AAAaaaaahhhhh, a man can dream :D
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Hofstra absolutely needs to be in the A10 for hoops (not for anything else though)

you want to put fans in the seats, you want to land big time talent, that's how you do it - and before anyone wastes their time, spare me the BS about how it's impossible, that HU isn't good enough, blah blah blah

If VCU, GMU, and DAVIDSON did it, and ODU went bigger too, HU can too... in time - HU was in the same conf as 3 of those 4 for TEN YEARS, so let's not act like it's an impossible move or out of their league - yes, it would take a lot of work to make it happen, but that's not the point - that is where they should be working to get to

And considering HU has consistently competed with and beaten several A10 programs over the years, they would certainly be able to hold their own, and then even be something better once recruiting took hold

Just salivate at the idea of home games against Davidson, Dayton, UMass, URI, GW, and of course the new VCU lol, etc etc - attendance solved. recruiting solved. scheduling solved. Hopefully they'll boot SLU soon, who is completely out in left field regionally - no sense for them to be in the A10 at all...

AAAaaaaahhhhh, a man can dream :D
Makes sense on the surface, but with the A-10 now already the A FOURTEEN, did HU miss the boat on that? How many former CAA teams and teams from other leagues can the A-10 take? Maybe they'd go to 15, and maybe they'd like to add another in the NY market, especially with Barclays hosting the their tourney, but it would have been a lot easier to make the jump right along with VCU or Mason or ODU than now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HU won't go to the A10 because of our other sports...they don not support them...And, we won't go in just for basketball, doesn't fit the A10 profile.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
Cards wrote: EvanJ - don't quite understand your post and the "Christian" reference?
I don't want to speak for Evan, but I think he was saying in terms of fit, since Hofstra isn't a Christian school, it's better suited to remain in a league like the CAA, with hardly any Christian schools, rather than jumping to a league that has a lot of Christian schools, and that if such a league were seeking to add another school, it might be looking to add another Christian school first, before a non-Christian school like Hofstra... kind of the way that when the old Big East disbanded and reformed with almost exclusively Christian schools.
That's what I meant.

Polito, I don't like conferences with more than 10 teams (and I especially don't like conferences with 14 or more teams like the Atlantic 10). Also just because Hofstra was in the same conference as George Mason, Old Dominion, and Virginia Commonwealth doesn't mean the Atlantic 10 would want Hofstra as much as they wanted George Mason (who hasn't done well in the Atlantic 10) and Virginia Commonwealth. For example, after reaching two Final Fours while in the Horizon League, Butler moved to the Big East. Would the Big East have accepted any other school from the Horizon League? To provide another example, Xavier went from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East. Would the Big East have accepted for Fordham?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The move would be Fordham leaving for the Patriot League where they belong and currently play football. That would open the door for a NY area school to jump in...Hofstra
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

In my opinion, the A-10 Conference would probably not be interested in Hofstra as a member. A stronger candidate for them might be Siena. They play in an Arena in Albany. Siena has previously hosted the MAAC basketball tournament. It is a Catholic school without a football program. Hofstra has had low basketball attendance for a few seasons. Siena consistently draws in the thousands. Remember, follow the money. Hofstra has more in common with colleges like Drexel and Northeastern. I just do not think that colleges like St. Louis and Dayton have much in common with Hofstra. I believe the only school in the A-10 that may be similar is George Washington
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Just some stats to share courtesy of Pomroy -

Good - We are one of the most experienced teams in the country
Bernardi having a really good season - Polito has said that all year
Tanksley is coming on
Nicols is an under recognized offensive rebounding force

Bad - No shocker - besides Syracuse, we have the least amount of bench minutes in the country
No player a defensive factor in steals or blocked shots

Comments - Our core four averages 2.5 fouls per 40 minutes (10 fouls for 4 guys per 40 minutes) - Nicols and Gustys average 13.5 fouls per 40 minutes - I saw Walkers play Tuesday night-he might not be the guy-but he is the only guy we got with size on the bench and I still think he can eat some minutes and save a foul or two for Gustys and Nicols or play him with Gustys or Nicols to give us some length
Gustys gives us his all - but a few things we need from him - since he gets fouled so much and he takes so many free throws he has to improve from the strip (he is shooting something like 37% from the charity line); from the floor he shoots 58% he has to learn to get a handle on the ball. I think DJG loses 3 assist a game to passes Gustys should handle but doesn't. Improvements from Gustys would/could/should add 5 points from Gustys on average per game.

On that I will end on this note - I must remind myself that, despite mentioning how experienced this team is, these players are kids and for me I sit watch and follow HU BB because I enjoy college BB so much and try to support our local team and show my loyalty to my alma mater as much as I possibly can. So at times I might get over critical of a player or two - it is out of pure passion for the team/players and not to say this middle aged overweight fan knows or did better then these amateur kids at their age.

Merry Christmas To All and To All Goognight!!!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

In my opinion, Siena would be looked at by the A-10 as a better candidate for future possible membership. There is a large difference in the attendance totals of Hofstra and Siena the past few men's basketball seasons. Also Siena is a Catholic college which fits the A-10 profile. What we a Hofstra fans should consider is what direction the league will take with hiring of the new commissioner for the CAA. There are only about 30+ NCAA leagues. It is a job desired by many administrators. Maybe the league office will be relocated from Virginia. All of this speculation should be sorted out by the spring. A guess is early April at the Final Four.