MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Andersjorstad

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Andersjorstad »

He's listed at 6-6, so probably a wing in the mold of Nichols/Tanksley/Koon. I don't know anything about what he brings to the table but glad they're going after guys in that mold.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Below video link of Gregory. found another reference indicating although from Canada, he will be in a north Carolina program for his senior high school year (2015-2016). Certainly does not look like a big impact player, but I assume Jam and staff see him with raw potential (maybe a "project" type player). With HU as his first and only D1 offer (he has 4-5 D2 offers) staff must see something in him (diamond in the rough)?? On the video he reminds me a little of Malik, but not as athletic (but heck, its only a video of a high school junior).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... w99VGHYzMg

I must admit that I get a little nervous when I see us recruiting guys like this. Is it a sign that there is not a lot of high end positive recruiting activity now that we have EP? Although nervous, I'll still trust Jam, as he has done right by us so far.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Not too impressed by this kid and surprised Hofstra offered...this kind of kid usually walks-on at the D-I level
Polito

Post by Polito »

shame to hear about Allen, but certainly explains his clear under-recruitment - looks talented, a guy to keep tabs on if he can get his grades in order

as far as this Canadian fella, this is an interesting one - perhaps I'm looking at different things than you guys, but his video doesn't look anything like a walk-on or a D2 player - he looks explosive, fast, quick, and displays the ability to score in a variety of ways as well as play solid D - he knocks down the J, can hit from deep, attacks the rim, plays aggressive/unafraid, can dish, block, and steal, and looks like a terror in the transition game getting up and down the floor

I don't see much Nichols in him actually - Nichols is a forward who plays stronger and bigger, this young man is more of a guard - he's a 6'6 WG, and from a size standpoint that can be flat out deadly - he looks twice as fast and quick as Nichols blowing by guys off the dribble with ankle breaking moves and driving straight to the hoop for either a poster slam or a nice up and under the basket reverse layup type deal - I mean that's not a skill set possessed by a lot of guys at his size, esp that HU has a real shot at

Admittedly I'm not huge on Canadian hoops, so who knows what his competition is like, but I will also admit it's gotten a lot better over the years - some pretty good talent in the Toronto area for example - this kid, for what it's worth, is ranked a Top 40 player in Canada across a couple of different outlets - most Canadian players are under-recruited in the US unless they are top 10, but that certainly still has to mean something in terms of his ability...

he's either the biggest sleeper in CA and in this class, or he's playing against a bunch of 10 yr old level guys! LOL and I have no idea which it is :D
garyg

Post by garyg »

Guess we have to trust that coach and staff know what they are doing regarding this kid...coach has said a number of times to me that they will not bring in a kid unless he can make a difference in some point...they will not bring in players just to fill up roster spots
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Totally agree Garyg, I trust this staff to make good decisions regarding players.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Early signing period begins 1 week from today...after EP we have 4 scholarships left to offer...question is will we sign anyone in early period other then EP?? At this point I would say no but hopefully JAM and staff have some surprises up their sleeves
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think there will be another surprise / unknown by us signing along with EP - no inside info, just a gut feeling that there will be at least 1 more than EP for the early signing period - just based on the staff working the trail VERY hard, I'm kind of expecting another fruit from that...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hope you are right Polito...if we sign 2 guys early and have the kind of season we expect to have the spring period should be a bountiful one for us as well
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Hope you are right Polito...if we sign 2 guys early and have the kind of season we expect to have the spring period should be a bountiful one for us as well
hope you are right also
garyg

Post by garyg »

At this point staff does not expect to sign anyone else early but that is not set in stone...up to current team to have great season and we become that much more attractive during spring signing period
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wow...that surprises and disappoints me. Seems like we are gambling on a great season being able to help pull in high end talent. Risky in that we might not have the great season we need to get the talent, we could have injuries to key players, and finally, the pool of guys we would like to get is smaller the longer we wait.

My guess would be that other than EP, we were not able to get one or two other guys that we had targeted as the ones we really wanted.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:Wow...that surprises and disappoints me. Seems like we are gambling on a great season being able to help pull in high end talent. Risky in that we might not have the great season we need to get the talent, we could have injuries to key players, and finally, the pool of guys we would like to get is smaller the longer we wait.

My guess would be that other than EP, we were not able to get one or two other guys that we had targeted as the ones we really wanted.
I can't figure out this whole recruiting process - however at our WORST we still added 2-3-4 players - and we aren't at our worst so I have to assume that there are players on this staffs radar and we will get some of them -
Cards

Post by Cards »

I can't figure it out either daHUPride! I just think making a general statement that waiting till Spring reduces (not eliminates) the odds of getting who or what you most covet. I completely trust JAMs ability to judge talent (and other factors), just have to hope he can land the ones he IDs (and many times its simply a matter of not being able to make up the recruits mind for him).
garyg

Post by garyg »

I realize JAM and staff are taking a bit of a gamble but they must be confident they can land the talent they are looking for in the spring...whether that is a blend of JUCO...HS Seniors...transfers...remains to be seen
garyg

Post by garyg »

Found out today we are still involved with a bunch of good players but none of them want to sign early...to me that is encouraging because I am confident staff will get job done...great season would help too
Cards

Post by Cards »

good news garyg. Thanks!
garyg

Post by garyg »

A rising senior that has been mentioned on this board before is Antwan Walker from down in DC...kid is really coming on and will only turn 17 soon...listed at 6-7 on most sites and anywhere from 215-225...could grow another inch or two and fill out some more...understand grades are good...hopefully staff has caught his attention...heard possibility he might go to prep school for year but not cause of grades,only because he might want to be recruited at higher level...hopefully JAM and staff can convince him Hofstra is place for him...I think we will do very well in spring as long as this team reaches expectations
Polito

Post by Polito »

This has been my feeling on it, meaning I felt that if any of their targets were ready to make a move, HU would grab another this fall period - but if the news is that won't happen, it isn't because of any effort on the HU side, it's simply because the kids are not ready to pull the trigger yet...

And that's ok, just part of the process, it's a lot of back and forth - HU recruits their pants off but it's up to the kids when to make a decision - as I have hoped and felt was happening, HU is all over their primary targets and probably doing a very good job, and now it's a matter of time for the recruit to mull things over, and for HU it's a matter of making the package as attractive as possible with a super attention grabbing season

Antwan Walker is an interesting one, solid player who could make a strong impact here; but the real interesting thing is his recruitment brought attention to one of his very good friends and produced a follow up offer from Hofstra for him as well - read a good article on that, all about HU's involvement with them both, a '17 kid I think - could be very cool to land them both and have another Green/Tanksley kind of friendship on the court from the start! We'll see how it plays out, all depends on what they really want in a program, both also have the potential to possibly go higher

There are also a couple of solid wing/forward recruits on HU's radar in NC that I believe could be very good - it's a wild world this whole recruiting thing! Want this team to go out there and make a national statement, that will do wonderful things to the filling the remaining spots!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The early signing period starts tomorrow. Does anyone know is EP is officially signing tomorrow (or at least during this peroid), rather than waiting until the regular signing period? It would be great to have him officially locked in, and should help with getting other recruits in the later period.