MBB @ Elon, Tuesday, 2/15/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB @ Elon, Tuesday, 2/15/22, 7 PM

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:New nickname for Omar
Hi Yo Silver!
Every time he hits the trey they should play the theme from the Lone Ranger.
Good stuff Stu, there’s a future for you in PR!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We became the third CAA teams from 2010-2011 to now to make at least 17 twos, at least 17 threes, and at least 12 free throws. The previous two were W&M on November 29, 2017 and December 19, 2016. Silverio became the twelfth player from 2010-2011 to now to score at least 40 points and make at least 11 threes, and the eigth player to do that against a Division I team. None of the previous eleven were for or against a CAA team. Silverio's game score of 35.4 was the highest by a CAA player since Buie in a 102-75 win hosting Elon on January 4, 2020, and the eleventh highest by anybody this season. Before that was when JMU's Matt Lewis scored 40 on JWF's Senior Day on February 23, 2019. From 2010-2011 to now, there was only one CAA player to have a game score of at least 35.4 not for or against us, and he was Delaware's Davon Usher on February 5, 2014. After leaving Hofstra, Massachusetts's Chaz Williams had a game score of 35.4. My source is the Sports Reference College Basketball Play Index.

Edit: I checked if we have a chance at the 1 seed if we win out to finish 14-4. Let's say UNCW loses hosting Towson, wins hosting JMU (we want UNCW to lose, but we can't expect it), it doesn't matter what they do at Drexel, and loses at Delaware. If they lose at Drexel in that case, they will be 13-5. If they win, I'll explain the tiebreakers later. We need Towson to win at UNCW, get at least one loss from hosting Charleston and both against JMU, and lose the suspended game that Delaware leads by 9. I already said we need Delaware to beat Towson and UNCW, and we need them to win out including at W&M and Elon and hosting Charleston. If Towson gets more than one loss against Charleston and JMU, we can afford for Delaware to lose against W&M, Elon, or Charleston. If Towson doesn't lose against that group, and Delaware wins out, they will be 13-5. Let's say UNCW beats Drexel to finish 14-4. Then our tiebreaker against UNCW will be record against Towson and Delaware combined. We are 0-2 against Towson and 2-0 against Delaware, and UNCW would be 1-1 against both, so it would go to the next tiebreaker. The fact the UNCW beat Towson and we did not is why we need Delaware to catch Towson for the tiebreaker. Then UNCW's other loss is to Elon, and ours is to W&M. Elon is 1 game better than W&M, and if Elon remains above W&M, we would win tiebreaker over UNCW from a better record against Elon. If Elon and W&M tie, all our tiebreakers against UNCW within the CAA could be tied, and if they use the NET after that we will win that tiebreaker over UNCW. It will be very hard for us to get the 1 seed at 14-4, but it does not require any big upsets.

All four times that three CAA teams went 14-4 or better were when there were twelve teams. The best record by a 3 seed in a season with ten teams was when UNCW went 13-5 in 2004-2005.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Silverio's record-breaker from behind the bench tonight. The beginning of this clip must be how the game slowed down for Silverio tonight.

https://twitter.com/chananagins18/statu ... 0691161088
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ESPN showed Estrada’s shot and three of Omar’s threes during the 12-1 edition of SportsCenter.

Estrada’s shot also came in at #7 in SportCenter’s Top 10.
Cards

Post by Cards »

As Speedy and all of us have noted, this team has many weapons. Typically, it's been AE and two others. The "two others" can change from game to game. I would imagine its getting pretty tough for opposing coaches to come up with a game plan to defend us. Doubling up on Aaron opens things up for many others, who on their own can cause quite a bit of damage.

Props to Omar. Not only his shot selection, but also his defense, rebounding, and effort have all improved. Good job by the staff to drive these points into him. He is still an average (percent wise) and streaky shooter. That being said, when he's hot, look out!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:ESPN showed Estrada’s shot and three of Omar’s threes during the 12-1 edition of SportsCenter.

Estrada’s shot also came in at #7 in SportCenter’s Top 10.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 3389237254
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Doubling up on Aaron opens things up for many others
I would still do it (which is why I hope opponents won't) because although the others are certainly capable in any given game, they're very inconsistent while Estrada has been very consistent. Although it can burn them, the odds are in the opponents' favor to make the inconsistent rather than the consistent beat them.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:What a win. I want to play Elon all day, every day.
Not the first time, for sure. Remember how Coburn went off on them early in a similarly lopsided win at home?

Although, we sure weren't saying that after last year's CAA tourney.
Buie also had a big game against Elon, if I remember correctly.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:What a win. I want to play Elon all day, every day.
Not the first time, for sure. Remember how Coburn went off on them early in a similarly lopsided win at home?

Although, we sure weren't saying that after last year's CAA tourney.
Buie also had a big game against Elon, if I remember correctly.
Yes! Had 44 at home against Elon two games after scoring 35 at Towson.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Without Silverio, Hofstra was outscored off the bench in this game, 17-15.

With him, it was 55-17, Hofstra off the bench.