MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

MBB recruits 2015

Post by dutchalum01 »

He's obviously a bright kid choosing Tufts, in my opinion he's a welcome addition. Is it possible he elected to go to Hofstra for the financial relief via scholarship? Hofstra isn't cheap, but with scholarship, it's definitely cheaper than Tufts - and I do like the take on Medical school. Would this allow him to play at Hofstra as a graduate - three years of eligibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by stuball888 »

I think he only has two years left.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Saw JAM briefly last night and he is VERY IMPRESSED with the Tufts kid. Said he is "dunking everything." Said he could not believe that he did not hear about this kid when he was in HS. Feels that HU should be the favs in the CAA next season but he cautions; that, "We need to do it on the court."
garyg

Post by garyg »

JAM told me same thing he told you HUSID80...Hunter dunks everything...I know this kid had offers from 20 D-1 programs as HS SR but he still appears to be a late bloomer and I think the year and a half sitting out will help to prepare him for the D-1 level...if [yes if LOL] he & Rokas & Andre develop we will have a nice trio of big guys
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Couldn't he technically have three years of eligibility left if he enrolled in the medical school?

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Medical school is hard enough without playing a varsity sport.
dutchalum01

MBB recruits 2015

Post by dutchalum01 »

If that's not the case, I have a hard time wrapping my head around transferring from Tufts to Hofstra for two years of D1 eligibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge advocate and bleed blue and gold... But the academics are not the same. However, he could have been accepted to the honors college with a full ride. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He is now closer to home. Closer to family. Maybe he was homesick. Who knows but glad we now have him. Remember he is only what 20 or even 19.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Dukes is going to Niagara according to Verbal Commits
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Dukes is going to Niagara according to Verbal Commits
He couldn't have come here anyway, as Sabety was our 13th scholarship.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Unless Sabety is getting a ride on an academic scholly or grant...probably not the case though
WRHU Sports

Post by WRHU Sports »

This week on "The Locker Room" we will speak to Coach Mihalich about the new recruits and about the upcoming season. Also, we speak to Women's Soccer coach Simon Riddiough as part of our State of the Program series. Tune in Sunday night at 8 on 88.7 FM WRHU or use the link below.

http://live.streamwrhu.net/
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Listening to The Locker room now, JAM discussed the two freshmen and the two transfers, and says there's still one scholarship left, and more transfers have visits planned. Sabety should've been the 13th 's final scholarship, so it means either or Koon is actually on an academic scholarship, or someone leaving.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Sun May 24, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Just listened to interview with JAM and it sounded like they still have one more scholarship to give which means Hunter may be on an academic scholarship
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I doubt if guys are getting other aid. I still don't think that works on the 13 max rule. I would bet someone is leaving or has already left.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

I'll be surprised if that last scholarship isn't used on a wing that would sit out next year. As people here have mentioned before, makes sense to have guys to bridge over for when our 5 seniors leave. We already got a big like that in Sabety, then Gustys and Walker should be a solid rotation. Need another guard to play with Bernardi and (probably) Buie.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

My guess is either Walker or Gonzales is leaving or has already left.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So what did Coach say about the new players?
kkan126

Post by kkan126 »

If HU has one more scholarship to give, I'd prefer it be for a Freshman or at least a transfer with 2-3 years left. They have 5 seniors and 2 juniors, and HU needs more players that will be ready once our current starting lineup transfers.

At guard they have Buie and Wright-Forman, and at forward there is Gustys, Walker, and Sabety (though he won't get any play time until after this class graduates, obviously).

So judging on how they have 3 young forwards, and two young guards (I don't really think Gonzalez will ever become a major part of this team), it'd be worth either recruiting another guard, or getting a young transfer guard. But even if they get a forward, if he has 3-4 years with this team, I'd be pleased.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:So what did Coach say about the new players?
He's very excited about all 4, plus Ibrahim Djambo. He said Hunter Sabety literally dunks every time he gets the ball and is near the hoop, whether someone passes to him or he grabs a rebound, like previously stated in this thread, and that he'll benefit a lot from practicing with the 5 players who will be seniors next year. Denton Koon has a very high basketball IQ, and JAM basically said his character is like Dion Nesmith's. He mentioned that Desure Buie is very slim, but emphasized that he's a pure point guard, and how quickly he can run up and down the floor. JWF will add some scoring.

He also said that Juan'ya Green will most likely be picked as the preseason player of the year, and wouldn't be surprised to see us picked first. Another thing he emphasized is that we'll get to see a full strength Rokas Gustys this season. He was never back to normal after his injury, but he's all set now and should be even better than he was last season.