Game 3 - @Iona, 11/16/21, 7 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Game 3 - @Iona, 11/16/21, 7 PM EST

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Garbage. Just like that HU falls right back. Exactly what you fear, Ray returns and no one does jack squat. Bad coaching, bad leadership, bad play.

These 3 guards need to figure out how to play together off each other - instead Ray’s presence totally derailed them. Cooks nothing Estrada nothing.

And like I said, no interest in another 3 point bombing team that has no other way to win. Cmon Speedy you and TP better be a whole lot better than that. That crap doesn’t win championships. Will be really bored if that’s their continued strategy from JM. Hope they’ve learned to balance their roster next time and have more in the post and more than the deep ball.

Totally deflating loss getting beat by Iona yet again. Prob not beating them until Pitino is gone. Very very disappointing. Burgess regressed and Cramer, as I feared, continues to underwhelm.

Yawn. Expect a lot better. Sure hope this isn’t going to be another JWF deal where no one does anything and Ray is all they depend on. This is why no one knows or talks about HU, continued failures to gain name making wins - beating Pitino would’ve been something - and why the Houston choke was big. Iona owning this city along with St John’s until this program figures out how to step up.

Gonna be a long OOC if they don’t show up better, esp on D. You wanna do nothing but chuck 3s then you better play some killer D.

Weak sauce Speedy and staff and team - better come correct against UMD and UR or gonna get run out of the gym.
Cooks poor play last night had NOTHING to do with Ray...He was forcing shots, throwing the ball away and was generally out of control. Estrada was ok. And yes of course it's goingto be a long OOC because it was PLANNED to be! Do you LISTEN to Speedy's presser last night. This team has NINE new players, it will take TIME to JELL.

Why are you so quick to THROW EVERYONE under the bus after 3 games...I respect your passion but perhaps you should chennel it into some postives.

You keep carping about the program and its lack of resources, and willingness to invest in success...HOW DO YOU KNOW?

As they say, SHOW ME THE MONEY...do you know what we spend? How it compares to IONA, St. John's etc.

Go out and raise some money and earmark to HOOPS...then you might actually MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Last edited by HUSID74 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote: Sure hope this isn’t going to be another JWF deal where no one does anything and Ray is all they depend on.
Time will tell as the season progresses, but I don't think that will be the case. What SHOULD happen and what might've been expected tonight was that Ray makes it easier for Cooks and Estrada, but sometimes that doesn't happen right from the start. If it's a trend over a few games, it's concerning (we'll see). But first game together for that trio, I'm not too worried (yet). Cooks knew he had to be the guy the first two games with Ray out. That changed for him tonight with Ray in and hitting a bunch of 3s. I think Cooks and the team will adjust over the next several games now that Ray is in the mix. Cooks can play, he can score. We know that's the same for Ray. I think they'll figure it out as consistent, reliable 1-2 or 1-1A options and then Estrada will find his role and be a nice complement to them, with the rest all filling in their roles. As we know well, November basketball is so different than January, February, March basketball. I'm not too concerned about a competitive road loss at Iona in November following a solid win at Duquense and a mostly very good showing in Houston. Most concerned with everyone just finding their roles in November and December and seeing what they'll truly be as they start CAA play (which is ultimately what really matters) at the end of next month.

p.s. Virginia was blown out by 20 and held to only 47 in Houston on ESPN tonight.
Well said Wags!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Burgess is one of our best defenders...he had several steals last night and he was also necessary to get the ball up court with their press. That's why Carlos played...we needed ball handlers...Carlos also got stuffed a couple of times...not quite ready for prime time.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

In some ways, this is a better loss than Houston. The team played worse, but in terms of testing development and chemistry, Pitino throws the kitchen sink and then some. So it's a useful barometer for the team, these OOC games don't really matter beyond figuring out our fit. They're still annoying to lose, but I don't want to get too mad about dropping a road game to a very good team with a HOF coach.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the road fatigue start to sink in a little bit -- 5 straight games on the road, traveling all over the place, certainly a different kind of mental test.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

RollPride15 wrote:In some ways, this is a better loss than Houston. The team played worse, but in terms of testing development and chemistry, Pitino throws the kitchen sink and then some. So it's a useful barometer for the team, these OOC games don't really matter beyond figuring out our fit. They're still annoying to lose, but I don't want to get too mad about dropping a road game to a very good team with a HOF coach.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the road fatigue start to sink in a little bit -- 5 straight games on the road, traveling all over the place, certainly a different kind of mental test.
If you listened to Speedy's post game remarks this scenario is exactly what he wanted...he is using this killer schedule to prepare for the CAA...let's just hope it doesn't destroy this team's mojo in the process.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Don't overreact to OOC wins or losses. This is preseason for the CAA schedule and tournament. The lessons the team learns by losing at Houston and Iona will pay dividends later on.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Dooku25 wrote: One other thing I want to call out is the usage of Burgess down the stretch. To me, the last 8 minutes of the game should have been Cooks, Ray, Estrada, Dubar and Iyiola. Burgess played 27 minutes and had 0 pts. He also missed 2 big free throws in crunch time. He should be used sparingly like Silverio IMO. If he was going to be a great player, we would have seen it by now unfortunately.
Spot on
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Yeah good point about Estrada who didn't play a lot of minutes in the 2nd half and Caleb really not helping us or himself. He doesn't seem to exude a lot of confidence. He needs to shoot more. Nice article about the game and a comment by Pitino that he will be surprised if we don't win 22/23 games this year. https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/coll ... 628498002/
Also good points - don't think CB looks at all confident and thought although AE was having a tough start but seeing him vs Houston and Duquesne - he handle the ball, rebounds and clear will shot more/better then CB...
Didnt read the article but by what your saying I think we are a 20+ win team...
Think we will be OK (better then OK) in the CAA
Not exactly sure why both Estrada and Silverio got limited minutes but did it have anything to do with their D play or just about matchups. Silverio came in and the first thing he does is make a lackadaisical pass that is picked off and led to an easy score the other way but he did hit two threes and maybe his O game was on.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Some of my thoughts to others comments

Cooks poor play last night had NOTHING to do with Ray...TOTALLY agree – Cooks last night was taken out of his game by Pitino – and I feel Cooks tried to force his game with little success – as opposed to maybe taking what Iona was giving him or deferring to his teammates…

What SHOULD happen and what might've been expected tonight was that Ray makes it easier for Cooks and Estrada…AGREE – they’ll have to learn it is best to work with each other –most teams aren’t like Iona in the CAA, where they have 3 athletes that can cover the entire court with size and athleticism

In some ways, this is a better loss than Houston….Thought the EXACT SAME, Iona is closer to our peer group – a team we can compete against night after night and playing Iona now is a better true test for us then Houston/Maryland

f you listened to Speedy's post game remarks this scenario is exactly what he wanted...he is using this killer schedule to prepare for the CAA..I am OK with that – but be careful what you wish for – less from a physical side then a mental – got to keep the players engaged that this is the PLAN and the prize is a CAA championshiip and to dance in March

Not exactly sure why both Estrada and Silverio got limited minutes but did it have anything to do with their D play or just about matchups…YEP – other seeing a guy make a steal, block a shot or let a guy blow by him – I don’t have the expert/coaching eye to tell you when or if a guy is playing outside the game plan – and I thought the same that Estrada and Silverio were out because of some team D detail – but like many I thought down the stretch it would be Iyiola (AI), Dunbar (DD), Ray (JR), Estrada (AE) and Cooks (ZC)…don’t get the Burgess (CB) 2nd half minutes

SIDE NOTES

At the Iona game saw coach JAM – what a great guy – supporting his team (and I believe that Hofstra is “his team” in his heart)

Bethea no minutes????

Last Night

MARYLAND loses to GM last night (71-66) hope Maryland isn’t to pissed after that beating

LIU/KANTE played UCONN – clear why Kante left – he IS the MAN at LIU – and clearly they sold him on that as opposed to HU/Speedy Guard studded offense – Kante had almost half of LIU 40 points and most of their rebounds – in a UNCONN 93 – 40 blow out – think Kante – if he'd had stayed – would had be a rally nice 1-2 punch down low for us with AI

StJ/COBURN played IU – not much from him last night for the Johnnies – but saw him in 2 previous games and had nice games against Miss Valley/StP
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Kante made a huge mistake. LIU stinks...he could have been the difference maker on our team this year. Instead he languishes in Brooklyn.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Kante made a huge mistake. LIU stinks...he could have been the difference maker on our team this year. Instead he languishes in Brooklyn.
Yup and don't think for one moment he doesn't think about it!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Awful move on Kantes part. And I sure hope HU actually tried to stop that... still unconfirmed for me how this all went down. Would love to know the truth...

HUSID:
Cooks poor play last night had NOTHING to do with Ray...He was forcing shots, throwing the ball away and was generally out of control. Estrada was ok. And yes of course it's goingto be a long OOC because it was PLANNED to be! Do you LISTEN to Speedy's presser last night. This team has NINE new players, it will take TIME to JELL.

Why are you so quick to THROW EVERYONE under the bus after 3 games...I respect your passion but perhaps you should chennel it into some postives.

You keep carping about the program and its lack of resources, and willingness to invest in success...HOW DO YOU KNOW?

As they say, SHOW ME THE MONEY...do you know what we spend? How it compares to IONA, St. John's etc.

Go out and raise some money and earmark to HOOPS...then you might actually MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Hehe, you know me my friend, passion to the core! Guilty as charged, I get revved up. 8-) HU could use another 5k like me.

I DO like this team. A lot actually! Some great signs of tough D, high speed, deadly guard play, and strong rebounding. But I'm not here to sunshine pump and tickle each others feet about 'almost'. When you choke you choke. No one cares about woulda shoulda coulda - when you have the game won, you need to win it. Period. Wags correctly noted in another thread the goals change per the actual scenario, not the prediction that didn't happen.

And I sure as hell hope our players and staff feel the same. This isn't Adelphi for goodness sake. You play the D1 game to WIN. Outside of a quality clean program and turning out stand up young men (that should always be a priority), this is about WINNING and DANCING. Two things HU has fallen flat on its face for WAY too much.

You think *I* should go out and raise money and fundraise? As a fan? Surely you jest. First and foremost, I have done MORE than my part to support this program over the 25 years I've been a diehard, and you directly know that. Can I do more? Can we all? Sure, we can all always do more. But if you are suggesting it's up to ME to fund HU's program properly, I'll take a hit of that ganja you're smoking. And I don't smoke lol.

Now if HU want's to hire me and give me a proper budget to start showing what it means to take this program seriously and treat it like we actually want it to be the best mid in the East, then yep, I'll take that job tomorrow and you can take it to the bank I would produce results in 2 years or less. Hell I would even allow that stipulation in my contract - that in itself would show no messing around from HU! Pretty sure you've said something similar about your ability to better market HU's athletic department 8-)

But HU doesn't operate that way because they think small - they're either afraid to make big moves, don't know how, or don't care enough. All unacceptable IMO. And frankly that's even more concerning than the spend - HU is routinely outshined by mid majors across the country, and I'm doubting whether it's just about more money. I don't think HU as a whole knows how to do this. And when they get someone who does, perhaps a Cole, they neuter him from making any real progress. As I said in his hire, this guy is used to actually going dancing. When he realizes this isn't HU's priority, and it will rarely get there, AND he doesn't have an admin that cares enough about it, watch him exit. I give it a couple of years.

You know how I know they don't treat it properly HUSID? Pretty easy: When you can't even send a 2-3 man team to cover HU's opening game in Speedy's DEBUT against a top 15 Final Four opponent, and they are calling the game watching the same friggin show we are, then yeah, you are running bush league and you are NOT treating this as your flagship. That's the SCHOOL'S job - talking a couple of grand here for goodness sake. Drop in the bucket. That = SMALL TIME.

Never once said HU has to spend like a P5. They aren't and can't. I've said they need to treat this like the FLAGSHIP. They do not. They treat it like the main sport, the practice facility is awesome and a move in the right direction, but they are not like moving like they are trying to make it the best mid in the east. THAT'S what they should be doing. Otherwise bring back football. Proof is in the pudding.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Iona just beat #10 Alabama 72-68
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Iona just beat #10 Alabama 72-68
Pitino said after this win - paraphrasing here, but essentially:

The key to our team is our chemistry. I'm even listening to some of their music. You'd think we were ranked No. 1 in the country with the way they act sometimes. They have great confidence and chemistry.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If they keep winning they can play any music they want They are undefeated
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just sickening. It's almost as if I literally just said those exact words.

Worth every penny. He won't stay there long, but every year he's there Iona will be a national story, win titles, go dancing, sell merch, boost their brand, and make MONEY. THAT'S a school that understands how to play this game, puts every penny to it, makes bold moves, and doesn't accept just 'competing'.

People can act high and mighty all they want, and make excuses and claim Iona has no morals or is cheating or whatever weak excuse simply because Iona is doing this thing way better than HU. The reality is Iona is a winner, and treats their program like they should. HU doesn't have the stones or the smarts to make the move Iona did with Pitino, and would never put that kind of money behind their supposed priority sport. And they reap the rewards.

Meanwhile over in bush league land, HU is in the rear view mirror, woulda coulda shoulda, the story of HU. A total afterthought, blown it's opps to be the talk of the mid world, now relegated to patting itself on the back after a "GREAT" win over D2 Molloy. And what's worse is HU is totally cool with it all.

The Speedy hype shine has worn off IMO, the preseason interviews and feel good stories are over - the season has begun, this is what matters, and no one will give two craps if this program doesn't start doing something. I warmed up to the hire, but the fact this team already needs a smack for slacking off in game 6 is scary.

I love HU and proud to be an alum, but boy the difference between these two programs admins and fanbases is night and day. This team needs to start winning.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Rick Pitino will win games and maybe a championship for Iona, but at what cost?

https://www.si.com/college/2017/09/27/l ... ino-ousted

Not to pick on Iona, but why would any school, let alone a religious school, hire someone with Pitino's past? People here excoriated Mo Cassera for much less.

Everybody makes mistakes, and everybody deserves a second chance (or two or three).

Sorry, but Iona can keep Pitino.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pitt will go after Rick next yeaf along with several other larger schools
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Rick Pitino will win games and maybe a championship for Iona, but at what cost?

Not to pick on Iona, but why would any school, let alone a religious school, hire someone with Pitino's past? People here excoriated Mo Cassera for much less.

Everybody makes mistakes, and everybody deserves a second chance (or two or three).

I've posted this before but I will post this anecdote once AGAIN. I've an old friend of the family who I like to think has very high standards. He graduated from Iona many moons ago my age. He follows the program over there so I needled him about the sports programs and how Iona prostituted itself by hiring him and he said to me who cares the BOTTOM LINE IS WINNING. So different strokes here but I'm not in agreement with hiring him but it's all about winning TO SOME PEOPLE!

BTW Iona had been doing quite well year after year with our alumnus Tim Cluess COACHING there(199-108) and for the 9 years Cluess coached there they played in the post season every year NCAA 6X NIT 2X and CIT his first year. They only one once during Cluess' reign won in a post season game. They certainly were a winner before Pitino so will Pitino take them past the first round if they get in the tourney??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:Rick Pitino will win games and maybe a championship for Iona, but at what cost?

Totally agree!