Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by stuball888 »

Joe he owns two restaurants in Point Lookut Very happy doing that
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Also, Mo is married now with a young family. Time to move on from coaching.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

joeg1 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Thats the one I have been touting Great get He develops big men and was responsible for recruiting Uter Kiaza and Pitizi
As did I. Good hire.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Sounds a little like "we are putting the band back together"..."we're on mission from God" (Blues Brothers or Speedy)

Good hire - guys that know Speedy and Speedy knows them - local guys (welcome back all you NYC recruits)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm just surprised that we still bring up Moe's name here after what he engineered here as head coach. I'm not as quick to give him a free pass as he took this program back years. Maybe it should be looked at as a serendipitous event eventually leading to JAM getting on board at HU and changing the culture here. I for one still have a bad taste in my mouth when his name is mentioned. He might be the nicest guy in the world but this is a forever "BLACK EYE" on his resume!!
Anyway I like this hire and let's see the first post player that comes here thru the recruiting of Parrotta.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

dutchalum01 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Thats the one I have been touting Great get He develops big men and was responsible for recruiting Uter Kiaza and Pitizi
who the heck is Pitizi? I’ve followed Hofstra since 2000, and Im drawing a blank on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm assuming Stu meant Brian Sisti.

I like the hire though, Parrotta was good with us and has HC experience which will be valuable as Speedy gets acclimated to the new role. Speedy putting the emphasis back on NYC, I love it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

All the student-athletes Mo brought in were approved by Jack Hayes and others. He alone is not responsible for their actions. I wish the players had behaved differently.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Flying D no it was Urbutis Pitzi was his nickname
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Stu play the lotto today you've been wanting this hire for as long as I've known you

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

See Speedy and I have something in common Great minds think alike
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dont be surprised if Tom brings in his son a 6 ft 4 wing who shoots the trey well Dont have to give him a ship since dad works for the school
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL I literally came to say the same thing cactus, this is Stu's D R E A M hire :D

I think TP should throw you a few bones Stu for being his unofficial advocate ... or agent 8-)

All in all, a good hire - TP is a good coach, and has had a focus on bigs and D - and clearly a NY guy - not a splash hire per say, and I did think Speedy's connects might land a slightly bigger fish, but I have no issue with it at all, and I think in combo with the other 2 this is a really really strong staff - these guys can recruit, develop, coach, and win.

As has been said, this program is going back to it's NY roots in a big way - I'm down, let's build an edge and a chip on the shoulder - NY hoops has fallen off a bit from the respect map, kids leave constantly to other programs around the country, I very much like the idea of HU playing a big part in forging it's return by rewarding the top talent who stay or want to come back.

ROLL PRIDE!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

joeg1 wrote:Somewhat off topic, but I'm surprised Cassara never got back into coaching. Probably rose too quickly, but could have climbed the ranks somewhere.

Spoke with Coach Mo at his pizza place a few years ago. Said he had no interest in coaching again, guess he could change his mind but it sure seems unlikely.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:Somewhat off topic, but I'm surprised Cassara never got back into coaching. Probably rose too quickly, but could have climbed the ranks somewhere.

Spoke with Coach Mo at his pizza place a few years ago. Said he had no interest in coaching again, guess he could change his mind but it sure seems unlikely.
A lot of coaches who do TV aren't interested in coaching. Sometimes they go back, but they like the TV gig. Mo does have the restaurants and the young family, but I think it might be the color he's been doing on CBS SportsNetwork that he doesn't want to give up.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It's now official...Tom Parratta named to Speedy's staff....good hire in my opinion. He's a proven Division I head coach with a wealth of experience and local ties.

Welcome back Coach Parratta!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:It's now official...Tom Parratta named to Speedy's staff....good hire in my opinion. He's a proven Division I head coach with a wealth of experience and local ties.

Welcome back Coach Parratta!
Good News!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Parrotta is a good, solid pick. Good with the bigs, knows Speedy, pipeline into Lithuania, I believe.

Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Good hire, I like what Speedy has done to make the program "his" in short order.

I think we have a very good staff. Clement and DePaoli were excellent hires who are up and coming potential HC's. Parrotta back in the fold is the perfect fit for the staff, he was here with Pecora's best teams, he coached under Joe at Niagara, he has a ton of experience running programs and recruiting the northeast, it made too much sense.

I'm considerably more optimistic now about Speedy at the helm than I was a month ago. I thought the way it went down with Farrelly really undercut momentum for Speedy, but I like the look of the new staff and team, I think we hit the ground running in the CAA next year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Glad to see this official, and as stated, a very good hire to round out what has turned into a very strong staff. With Serge and Mike, TP really fills things out and fills in the most needed areas: a seasoned former HC, and a post coach for bigs. Pluses that he is another NY guy, has excellent connections, is a proven recruiter and player developer, knows the game, can coach X's and O's, and is an HU guy. I'm onboard. Still much to prove of course, but some really nice early signs.

I have plenty of concern of a first yr HC handling a team full of transfers who don't know each other - this is a difficult test for any staff, esp a brand new one that has literally never worked together. And losing Kante really hurts. But this can be mitigated obviously by landing a stud transfer - TP has now become the most important coach in the room at this moment. He's done it here before, time to do it again!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No lets go out and get Josh Gray the LSU freshman in the transfer portal is 6 ft10 and 215 He went to high school in Brooklyn but grew up in St James Come back home Josh this is the perfect fit for you
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:No lets go out and get Josh Gray the LSU freshman in the transfer portal is 6 ft10 and 215 He went to high school in Brooklyn but grew up in St James Come back home Josh this is the perfect fit for you
Amen to that, Stu