2021 Men's Lacrosse

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: 2021 Men's Lacrosse

Post by Hofstra »

Move all Lax threads to the trash, thats what this team has been for years. Typical loss. Typical season.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

And this is a team with one of the best players in the country?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We have Seth Tierney for two more years Thats when his contract runs out He will be here till his daughter graduates in2023 Hofstra will not buy out his contract
Polito

Post by Polito »

Don't worry, no big post from little ol me. I'm just here to watch it all transpire. For the 10th year in a row.
Popcorn.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Saturday is basically D Day for Hofstra mlax as we could either solidify a CAA tourney spot or potentially be out of contention by end of day. If we lose and Towson beats Delaware and UMass beats Fairfield then we will already be eliminated since we would lose a three-way tiebreaker to both. We still control our own destiny so hopefully can take care of business.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

Mikey77 wrote:Everyone has been working that high to low pass on us. Saw it coming a mile away. Defensemen covering nobody and not looking at the net. This was a typical Tierney era loss - up by 4 in the 4th and a collapse. Can't wait to hear the excuses from Husid and Dutchflid. Thanks for the Polito compliment. Polito's post are way more incisive than mine and he packs more emoji power than I do.
I am not an apologist nor an excuse maker, Saturday was a heart breaker. My posts have not been pro or con about our HC but opining that there is no Mosiah out there.

The education, location, tuition and esthetics make HU a difficult place to recruit.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Dutchflid wrote:
Mikey77 wrote:Everyone has been working that high to low pass on us. Saw it coming a mile away. Defensemen covering nobody and not looking at the net. This was a typical Tierney era loss - up by 4 in the 4th and a collapse. Can't wait to hear the excuses from Husid and Dutchflid. Thanks for the Polito compliment. Polito's post are way more incisive than mine and he packs more emoji power than I do.
I am not an apologist nor an excuse maker, Saturday was a heart breaker. My posts have not been pro or con about our HC but opining that there is no Mosiah out there.

The education, location, tuition and esthetics make HU a difficult place to recruit.
Your post makes zero sense given Hofstra is located in a lacrosse hotbed and the quality of Hofstra's education is comparable if not better than other schools in the CAA. "Aesthetics?" Hofstra's facilities are as top notch as it gets for D1 schools and our locker room is better than many professional ones. Only part that makes remote sense is tuition and no question the public universities have advantage on that end like UMass, Towson and Delaware.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Dutchflid wrote:

Your post makes zero sense given Hofstra is located in a lacrosse hotbed and the quality of Hofstra's education is comparable if not better than other schools in the CAA. "Aesthetics?" Hofstra's facilities are as top notch as it gets for D1 schools and our locker room is better than many professional ones. Only part that makes remote sense is tuition and no question the public universities have advantage on that end like UMass, Towson and Delaware.
you have enlightened me, with the right coach Hofstra should be able to keep 5 or 6 LI AA's a year and be perennial final four team.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The challenge Hofstra has always had going back to Danowski days is keeping the best local players on the island since many want to go away to school. With Danowski he was able to get a ton of middle of the road blue collar guys who had big chips on their shoulder and develop them into elite players. We have also had that under Tierney, but problem is other schools are also very invested in sport so competition is fierce. There is no reason though we should have a 10-year NCAA Tournament drought though given our location, facilities, tradition, etc.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

HofstraPride1 wrote:The challenge Hofstra has always had going back to Danowski days is keeping the best local players on the island since many want to go away to school. With Danowski he was able to get a ton of middle of the road blue collar guys who had big chips on their shoulder and develop them into elite players. We have also had that under Tierney, but problem is other schools are also very invested in sport so competition is fierce. There is no reason though we should have a 10-year NCAA Tournament drought though given our location, facilities, tradition, etc.
I totally agree with this.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dutchfld Let me start by saying I have followed all of Hofstras sports programs since 1995 Translation Im old In those years Hofstra has become reactive instead if proactive We all saw the landscape of lacrosse changing as more schools have included it in their athletic programs I just feel that Hofstra has not adjusted and seems to have shrugged their shoulders How I have other schools adjusted to the changing landscape maybe they increased their budget for recruiting and did what was necessary to increase their schools image on the national landscapeNow as far as Hofstra is concerned They have put some money into the facilities but that alone is not enough
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Our facilities are among the best in the country for lacrosse. In fact our locker room is among the elite.

Fact is most local kids, especially lacrosse players do not want to stay home, just look at the rosters of most lacrosse programs.

We have had to recruit on a national level and go to Canada to bring talent into the program. Fact is there are many more prestigious schools playing lacrosse and recruiting a fairly limited pool of talent as the sport is just now gaining traction nationally.

In addition, the number of schools qualifying for the NCAA tournament is very limited vs. many other sports...just look at the CAA. The conference used to receive multiple bids to the dance...no more.

I believe the solution should be an expanded NCAA tournament, which would better represent the sports expanded number of schools and national interest.

I personally feel Seth Tierney does a good job of running this program, enjoys strong alumni support, I.e. Jim Metzger and he will not be leaving any time soon...IMO
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Our facilities are among the best in the country for lacrosse. In fact our locker room is among the elite.

Fact is most local kids, especially lacrosse players do not want to stay home, just look at the rosters of most lacrosse programs.

We have had to recruit on a national level and go to Canada to bring talent into the program. Fact is there are many more prestigious schools playing lacrosse and recruiting a fairly limited pool of talent as the sport is just now gaining traction nationally.

In addition, the number of schools qualifying for the NCAA tournament is very limited vs. many other sports...just look at the CAA. The conference used to receive multiple bids to the dance...no more.

I believe the solution should be an expanded NCAA tournament, which would better represent the sports expanded number of schools and national interest.

I personally feel Seth Tierney does a good job of running this program, enjoys strong alumni support, I.e. Jim Metzger and he will not be leaving any time soon...IMO
Agreed. He certainly won't be leaving before his daughter graduates and she has two years of eligibility remaining after this if she opts for it. I wish NCAA Tourney would expand to at least 20, but can't count on them to do the right thing sadly.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I go back and forth on Seth. Sure, we could do worse. Probably knows his job is safe- might not be a bad thing if he felt a little pressure, though.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amazing... so the 10 year drought has NOTHING to do with the coaching staff? Nothing at all? Literally everything except that?

LOL got it. Makes perfect sense.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Amazing... so the 10 year drought has NOTHING to do with the coaching staff? Nothing at all? Literally everything except that?

LOL got it. Makes perfect sense.
LUV YA MAN! So I'll turn the tables...It has EVERYTHING to do about the staff.

This is not a world of absolutes...both are incorrect...surely I want to see us get into the NCAA's but its a whole different world in 2021 vs. 10-15 years ago.

Surely you understand that.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You got me there, fully agree :D

It's a mix, and HU has failed every part. My fight is more with the admin than Seth - he's certainly not trying to choke. He just does. But the real issue is the admin simply doesn't care, and neither should we until they do.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Towson is in the same boat that we are in terms of recruiting a hotbed, and they've broken through.

The men's lacrosse team has choked in every big situation for a decade straight, we can't win a meaningful game in the CAA. It's crossed over from frustrating to embarrassing years ago. Yes the players dictate the outcome of our performance to a large extent but there is only one constant over the last decade. If NCAA lacrosse is a whole different world today, maybe we need a different staff to navigate that world.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We saw this coming but we didnt react the NCAA is what it is they are in no rush to expand the field Since the ACC is not a conference in Mens lax they eat up most of the at large bids How do you combat thisus a killer OOC schedule and beat the top teams so the ncaa has no choice but to give you an at large either that or you have to win the caa outright
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:We saw this coming but we didnt react the NCAA is what it is they are in no rush to expand the field Since the ACC is not a conference in Mens lax they eat up most of the at large bids How do you combat thisus a killer OOC schedule and beat the top teams so the ncaa has no choice but to give you an at large either that or you have to win the caa outright
If not for covid Hofstra was slated to play Hopkins, Rutgers and Michigan this season, but Big 10 went to conference only schedule. We also had Syracuse game wiped out due to covid pause. Hopefully schedule will be much better going forward.