So who will Speedy add to his staff

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:wags the difference is that this time there is a 600K weight attached to the budget of the mens basketball team. I have faith in Speedy but with Pecora he had his staff almost all intact with the exception of Bret Gunning. That first year was not easy for Tom Pecora.
I don't sense that the lack of faith is coming from these things. I sense that people don't perceive that Speedy is capable of being a good head coach as much as they believed that in Pecora, regardless of the supporting staff back then and whatever supporting staff Speedy will have -- as if people think Speedy absorbed nothing in all this time under Mihalich and Farrelly vs. what Pecora absorbed under Wright. I think Speedy deserves the chance to show what he learned and how he can apply it, leading as a HC, before we assume he can't without a great supporting staff. We gave Pecora the benefit of the doubt based on his own merits far more than on his supporting staff. I think Speedy deserves the same right now.
Totally agree Wags. Speedy has forgotten more basketball than most mid major coaches know. Hopefully now, at 42 he knows his strengths and weaknesses and bring in a staff that addresses his weaknesses.

As a MVP college PG and a NBA Championship winning player I have more faith in Speedy’s in game decision making than most.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So is Shaka Smart available No longer at Texas
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Stuball888, Shaka Smart recently left Texas to become the new coach at Marquette in his home state of Wisconsin.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I missed that one
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

stuball888 wrote:So is Shaka Smart available No longer at Texas
Shaka Smart going to be an assistant coach at Hofstra after making a final four and coaching high level power 5 conference ball? Maybe Coach K leaves Duke to help out Speedy. LOL
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

But Pecora coming back to Hofstra while making 350 k is feasable?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

stuball888 wrote:But Pecora coming back to Hofstra while making 350 k is feasable?
I dont think so. Pecora was a failure after he left Hofstra though.

I am not in the majority with this hire. I dont think Hofstra will spend on a staff for him. I hope they do, but I highly doubt it.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

cactus wrote:No inside info, but with Ray at the press conference today I think he is going to come back for another year. Assuming Carlos stays and no one transfers out they would have a very good team going into next year.
This DID NOT get enough attention...

No inside info here either, but having Ray there speaks volumes... if he was graduated and out of the program, I don't think he attends.

Was Coburn there? I'd hope they'd be a package deal and both come back for year 6.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:
stuball888 wrote:But Pecora coming back to Hofstra while making 350 k is feasable?
I dont think so. Pecora was a failure after he left Hofstra though.

I am not in the majority with this hire. I dont think Hofstra will spend on a staff for him. I hope they do, but I highly doubt it.
He admits it was a major mistake though. Could have been Hofstra's best ever team. Can't bring back Hail and Chaz but he might want to make things right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HU87 wrote:
cactus wrote:No inside info, but with Ray at the press conference today I think he is going to come back for another year. Assuming Carlos stays and no one transfers out they would have a very good team going into next year.
This DID NOT get enough attention...

No inside info here either, but having Ray there speaks volumes... if he was graduated and out of the program, I don't think he attends.

Was Coburn there? I'd hope they'd be a package deal and both come back for year 6.
Coburn was not there and his social media gives the impression he is moving on. Unlike Ray he's had 5 years of college already since he transferred.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Definitely promising thought about Ray - I'd def like to see him return to ideally end on a better note.

Coburn should move on, he's done his 5 yrs, and I think he will.

REALLY racking my brain to figure out who this previous HC will be ... I don't think TP is out of the question - I know his ending was not great, but that was a long time ago, and this is Speedy we're talking about - he might consider - sheez, $350k at QU is ridiculous - I'm hopeful with Speedy saying he's going for seasoned guys that means HU is opening up the checkbook, but not sure HU would match that for an assistant - but who knows at this point

Buddy suggested Barry "Slice" Rohrssen - def an intriguing possibility, thoughts on him? Talk about recruiting with those two, holy moly
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I'm hoping it's Cluess who I've heard would like to get back into coaching.
wrhualum

Post by wrhualum »

I am hoping that Coach Jim Ferry is Speedy's lead assistant. He is a local guy from Elmont who had plenty of success at Adelphi and LIU.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Whoa, now THAT would be one helluva pull FD. I'd take that all day long and my entire gut feel about this would shift in a big way. Those two together, wow.

I was trying to figure out his current status, with him leaving Iona due to health concerns, would he even be game to get back into the life? Would being an assistant be more feasible for him and his health, or still to much...

Would be amazing if he could do it and HU could swing it.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Ray - at the conference is encouraging, Ray Burgess and Carlos - yes please

"Slice" Rohrssen - that would be a local recruiting dream team - for sure
Cluess - dont know why what kept him from staying at Iona - but he loves transfers - he loves to run (SC said they want to run/and play more Man-to-Man D)
Pecora - he recruited in NY really well too - I'd take that

I hope - locals (and a smaller stage) want to play for Speedy - like guys want to play for UofM J Howard
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Tim Cluess, another Hofstra alum, would be great! His St. Mary's teams were always tough, and we all saw what he achieved at Iona. Plus we have the Iona connection in our AD.

https://icgaels.com/sports/mens-basketb ... -cluess/77
wrhualum

Post by wrhualum »

I don't think Tim Cluess is up to coaching anymore. I am hoping that Coach Jim Ferry is Speedy's lead assistant. He is an Elmont native who was very successful at Adelphi and LIU.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Just listened to Pecora on a podcast (Level Up Your Basketball). Talked a lot about Hofstra and still says leaving was the biggest mistake of his life.

Maybe he would like a redo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:Just listened to Pecora on a podcast (Level Up Your Basketball). Talked a lot about Hofstra and still says leaving was the biggest mistake of his life.

Maybe he would like a redo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK so just looking at this from a monetary perspective Joe is kept on staff at HU and had been making 600K. I for one don't think that HU guaranteed that contract as much as they love Joe. We would love to be privy to the backroom negotiations that went down to make this all happen. Joe kept here as part of the athletic dept. Speedy handed the HC job and Mike Farrelly given a glowing recommendation from Joe etc.(deserving) and setting him up for another asst. HC job maybe as asst. coach at Fordham if I'm following the bouncing ball. So how about this Speedy who had on the top of his bucket list to be the HC here(I disagreed) but was obviously wrong and takes a diminished salary to make this happen(he doesn't need the $$) and Joe also being happy to be here in a place he calls home lets his contract be renegotiated down to make this all financially doable. That potentially frees up money to bring in an experienced support staff to make this all a successful transition seemingly a win win for everyone. So using this theory how much money is Speedy being paid to coach at his Alma mater?? Thoughts??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think minimum is 300K for speedy. Lets ay Joe cuts his salary in half to 300K. So now think the rest of the budget would be 400K for 3 asst caoches. It could be 400K for Speedy and 200K for JAM. Either way I think the total salary budget is 1 mil.