2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: 2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:No, I'll say it was a failure.

Did you see the rosters our competitors rolled out? With all due respect to Drexel, they were a tomato can last year, and they got it done this year. Hell of a job by Spiker and the team to get it done, but come on.

I hope the players and coaching staff look at this year like a failure too. They have to know they can be the best team in the CAA.
Couldnt agree more. Total failure this season. Everyone dealt with covid. Some dealt with it better than others. It isnt an excuse for the effort, or lack their of in most games.

Drexel really got coached up well. Normally, I would think of them as our rivals, but this season we just didnt have killer instinct. Never in contention. Happy for them.
We place so much emphasis on the tournament when we label the entire season because in reality, that's what it all comes down to for every team. But Hofstra was 8-6 in the regular season (CAA play), Elon was 4-7 (CAA). Was Elon's season a "success" if Hofstra's was a "failure?" Elon's tournament was a great success, but their season, relative to Hofstra's? Was JMU's season a "failure" after going 8-2 (CAA) because they lost to Elon in the quarters and went two fewer tournament rounds than Elon? Disappointing season for Hofstra? Definitely. Failure? I don't think so if what returning guys did this year helps them grow toward titles later.

I get the "failure' sentiment right now and understand why people feel that way when expectations aren't met, but I also think those expectations should've been tempered to begin with. I was surprised they were picked 1st after losing what they did from last year and I warned very early this season that everyone was forced out of their roles by default. Love Coburn as a person and sometimes did as a player, but I said early on, he was not a No. 2. He worked out well in his role last year because he didn't have to be a No. 2. This year, he had to be by default, and just wasn't. Ray grew into being a No. 1, but not always a reliable No. 1 and Coburn even less reliable as a No. 2. When you can't rely on that, how do you expect to win? That evolution wasn't going to happen magically. They were what they were.

Still, Ray had a good year. But very hard to win without a legit No. 2 on any team at any level. Then throw in the conference COY missing all season, and what did people really expect? They certainly didn't overachieve, but based on all that, I don't think they really underachieved that much either. They merely put themselves in decent position and came up short. Pretty much what I expected from the beginning. Cramer's help as a freshman and Burgess' growth (more than I expected) gave me more hope, but I also said before the tourney, watch out for Elon - HU ran into a very hot team at the wrong time. So, all in all, I can't get on board with "failure." It was about what they should have done given what they were, which was never really as good as some believed. I can only call this season a "failure" later on, in retrospect, if in the future, guys like Burgess, Kante, Cramer, even Farrelly if he's the HC, don't continue to grow off of this season and don't seriously contend later.
Captain

Post by Captain »

A couple of observations;
The program is in a great place. For perspective, look at the pr catastrophe we put behind us pre Joe. We were an embarrassment. Let's hope Joe is well enough to come back if he chooses to do so. If Joe elects not to return, you must give Farrelly a real chance in a real world to continue with the program. He will grow into the job as well. Opening up a job search for a new head coach would be a huge slap in the face to the staff. The AD won't do this nor should he.
The consequences of changing the head coach are enormous. Current players will split and recruits will go elsewhere. Very short-sighted.

Next there will be enormous turnover on a national level. Players will be moving all over the place. Looking at verbal commits and UNCW has about 5 relevant players departing the 1st year new coach. We don't know the plans of our seniors for an extra year. In these tumultuous times stability of a program is a real attraction.

Finally being a HU basketball fan thru bad and good, the last few seasons have been a blast for me. Keep this train running please.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Captain wrote:A couple of observations;
The program is in a great place. For perspective, look at the pr catastrophe we put behind us pre Joe. We were an embarrassment. Let's hope Joe is well enough to come back if he chooses to do so. If Joe elects not to return, you must give Farrelly a real chance in a real world to continue with the program. He will grow into the job as well. Opening up a job search for a new head coach would be a huge slap in the face to the staff. The AD won't do this nor should he.
The consequences of changing the head coach are enormous. Current players will split and recruits will go elsewhere. Very short-sighted.

Next there will be enormous turnover on a national level. Players will be moving all over the place. Looking at verbal commits and UNCW has about 5 relevant players departing the 1st year new coach. We don't know the plans of our seniors for an extra year. In these tumultuous times stability of a program is a real attraction.

Finally being a HU basketball fan thru bad and good, the last few seasons have been a blast for me. Keep this train running please.
This has been a golden age of Hofstra basketball, a conference championship, 3 guys are in the g league, and one of the best recruits in program history coming in. With Carlos/Burgess, Cramer/Green, and Kante/Schutte, 3 spots are locked down next year, with all-conference first team potential, plus a bunch of intriguing guys for the 2/3 (including the possibility of ray and coburn returning). Program is in great shape, would be crazy to change things up.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Agree to disagree with some. While last season was amazing, this is a performance based industry, and to say that this season was anything short of a failure is hazardous.

We got our doors blown off by Elon. Elon.

They were hot at the time, but not hot enough to beat mediocre Drexel. I'd rather see Ray and Coburn move on. They did a lot for this team, but we have Carlos coming in. Let him get the minutes. Caleb led the CAA in assists this year, despite his disastrous game vs. Elon. Lets let those 2 cook.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am sure people will be upset with this post, but it is what it is. Not everyone gets a trophy, and this team stunk.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Hofstra wrote:Agree to disagree with some. While last season was amazing, this is a performance based industry, and to say that this season was anything short of a failure is hazardous.

We got our doors blown off by Elon. Elon.

They were hot at the time, but not hot enough to beat mediocre Drexel. I'd rather see Ray and Coburn move on. They did a lot for this team, but we have Carlos coming in. Let him get the minutes. Caleb led the CAA in assists this year, despite his disastrous game vs. Elon. Lets let those 2 cook.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am sure people will be upset with this post, but it is what it is. Not everyone gets a trophy, and this team stunk.
I am of course crushed by what happened, especially given heartbreak last year of having NCAA tourney experience ripped from us, but the reality is no team is going to be completely in sync after three weeks of no games even after playing day before. It sucks, but we have to give some credit to Elon, who peaked at tight time and was on a more normal schedule going into CAAs. Not sure what will happen with Mihalich this offseason, but either way I hope Farrelly will be our future head head coach.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I understand people liking Farrelly. He is probably a really nice person, and a great basketball mind. What I dont understand though is why everyone is saying they would like him to be the coach, or expect him to be the coach. What has he done to earn that? We were picked 1st in the preseason poll, and faltered all season. We had a first team all caa kid, and did nothing. I am not ruling him out, but I would like to see a coaching search done. Let Hofstra do their due diligence in regards to finding a coach. I assume this would be a desirable landing spot for many.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I think you also have to take in consideration if you are happy with the players as the team currently stands. If Joe doesn't come back then you have continuity with Farrelly and hopefully the team stays intact. if you do a coaching search, you put doubt in the players mind as to what their future and and they could start exploring options.

I like the players we have and am excited for next year. I would not want to start a potential rebuild at this time. Since 2016, they have been at the top of the league and have been very enjoyable seasons. i think that continues with this staff (plus maybe an addition of a vet assistant being added).

If you change coaches, i imagine the recruiting class is gone and we'd have some transfers. Pecora leaving killed that team years ago and i'd rather not have a repeat of that personally.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This is eerie:

8th-seeded Elon beat a 9 seed, 69-48.
8th-seeded Georgetown beat a 9 seed, 68-49.

Elon beat a 1 seed hampered by a key injury, 72-71.
Georgetown beat a 1 seed hampered by key injuries, 72-71.

So, I guess this means St. John's beats Seton Hall today before losing by somewhere around 76-58 to Georgetown. But after that, this doesn't work, since Big East's 6 seed already lost (to 11th-seeded DePaul), but Georgetown could still lose somewhere around 63-56 to someone else in the finals.

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 2126985216
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Captain wrote:A couple of observations;

Totally agree Captain. Could not have said it any better!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hofstra wrote:I understand people liking Farrelly. He is probably a really nice person, and a great basketball mind. What I dont understand though is why everyone is saying they would like him to be the coach, or expect him to be the coach. What has he done to earn that? We were picked 1st in the preseason poll, and faltered all season. We had a first team all caa kid, and did nothing. I am not ruling him out, but I would like to see a coaching search done. Let Hofstra do their due diligence in regards to finding a coach. I assume this would be a desirable landing spot for many.
Farrelly has paid his dues as an assitant under Joe for nine years. he is the architect of the defense that WON the CAA last year and has recruited several of our top players.

His pedigree goes back to his playing days at St. Joe's under one of the greats; Martelli...in fact they are still close.

If Joe had left or retired Farrelly would have been my choice to replace him much like Pecora replaced Wright after he moved on.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

You can compare this to our softball team When Bill Edwards retired he passed the reigns to longtime asst Larissa Anderson Team was successful for several years When she left we lost our pitching staff and we saw the results Having a longtime asst take over keeps the program stable
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also the same with womens soccer as Simon Riddough was Joanne Russells longtime asst
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

If Cluess wanted the job for lets say five years, would Cole entertain that thought?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Tim is in no shape to coach again He too has health problems
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID80 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:I understand people liking Farrelly. He is probably a really nice person, and a great basketball mind. What I dont understand though is why everyone is saying they would like him to be the coach, or expect him to be the coach. What has he done to earn that? We were picked 1st in the preseason poll, and faltered all season. We had a first team all caa kid, and did nothing. I am not ruling him out, but I would like to see a coaching search done. Let Hofstra do their due diligence in regards to finding a coach. I assume this would be a desirable landing spot for many.
Farrelly has paid his dues as an assitant under Joe for nine years. he is the architect of the defense that WON the CAA last year and has recruited several of our top players.

His pedigree goes back to his playing days at St. Joe's under one of the greats; Martelli...in fact they are still close.

If Joe had left or retired Farrelly would have been my choice to replace him much like Pecora replaced Wright after he moved on.
I dont disagree with you in regard to Farrelly paying his dues. I just dont think that he did enough this year, albeit a wild year, to earn the title of head coach yet. The defense that won us that championship was non existent this year. I would have liked to see a lot more.

I agree with you about naming him head coach before the season if Joe left, but now I question that.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

stuball888 wrote:Tim is in no shape to coach again He too has health problems
Hipaa bruhhhhh. Chill
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

How about Martelli? He's an asst at Michigan

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

How about Frank Haith in the event he leaves Tulsa? A Queens guy and former coach at Miami and Missouri and former National Coach of the Year at Mizzo. He played at Elon.
Polito

Post by Polito »

First, as always, Godspeed on a fully recovery for Joe, absolutely want him back healthy and whole!

Second, this season was a failure. For us to not call it what is was is simply us being homers. They bombed a supreme opportunity - let's stop acting like HU ran into Gonzaga, Elon isn't that good and got promptly got knocked out as they should in the next game - we need to call it like it is. HU choked. Again.

HU has won once in 20 years. For this staff specifically once in 8. Call me crazy but I don't see the amazement there. HU is in a good position, sure, but they aren't taking advantage of it. I don't find 'almost' 'so close' 'barely missed' some great thing - better than bottom feeder, but it's still infuriating. HU has definitely had some bad luck, no question. But they've had plenty of times simply choking.

I like Farrelly a lot, he's all heart and hustle and he loves HU and the kids... but he left a lot to be desired this year. The coaching to end the season & tourney was very poor. Tough spot no doubt, thrust into the HC seat at the 'last minute', no easy task. We are lucky to have had him to do so, no question about that. But he did not overly impress, and I'm not going to ignore that either. He has a LOT to prove.

But I am all for him getting the chance to do so, I think he has earned a fair shake. I'm pulling for him, it would be amazing for him to quickly develop into a young assassin in the coaching ranks and lead this program to the top. But I'm not sold until I see it proven. Give him a shot, but a short leash to show what he's got. I'm not afraid to make a change, it's inevitable one day, and the last one HU made was positive. But def do so at the right time. Let's see what Mike can do with a more normal scenario. But his time to value should be short, especially after this debacle.

HU has wasted a prime, rare opportunity to go dancing. It is what it is, and we can't pretend like it wasn't or be afraid to say it. I'm not interested in tickling each other over a semi-final appearance when they should've won it all. This is about dancing when you have your chances. You do or you don't. Of course they don't have to win every year, no one expects that. But I 100% expect better than what we've seen. Dying on the same hill over and over again is getting old. And last year doesn't negate that.

What do I want to see? Here are just a few solid examples of fully attainable real mid major goals (forgive if years off 1 either way lol):

Iona = 4 straight, 6 in last 9.
Vermont = 3 straight 03-05, 4 more in last 11.
Robert Morris = 3 in last 12.
Winthrop = 4 straight 05-08, 3 in last 11.
Wofford = 5 in last 11.
Georgia State = 3 in last 6.
Liberty = 3 in last 8.
LIU = 4 across '08-'09 + '11-'12.
I could go on...

Now of course there are many more with worse results, but that's not the bar we should be using. HU has made the verbal commitment to win championships and go dancing. HU = 1 in 20. And didn't even get to play in a game. :roll: Minimal momentum. Minimal attention. Minimal shine. Minimal achievement of the verbal goals. Sorry, but that's just not good enough to me. And I hope it's not ok for everyone else, for this program, the admin, or this U as a whole.

And no, I don't want to be a fan of any of those programs. I want HU to perform to what I see as the proper level. But hey, that's just me... what the heck do I know.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

At any rate, the program's silence says it all. I think it's a pretty safe bet Joe's coaching days are over. And personally, I'd go with Speedy, (who played for Wright, Larry Brown, and Pop) over Farrelly, if we are not going the experienced route.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk