2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: 2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by HUSID80 »

It is not currently in the best interest of the program to "Blow Up' the staff at this point and I don't see it happening.

I see Cole making Farrelly the head coach, which I support by the way, moving Speedy up to Assist Heach Coach and then adding another assistant. The hope is that Joe can come back and support the program in some capacity...senior advisor? much like Gene Keady did for St. John's a few years back.

I don't see Joe returning as the full time head coach at this point.

Despite what many of you think, this program has been established as a legityimate contention for the CAA title every year and to blow it up now (remember Welsh/Cassara, et al) would be a HUGE mistake IMO.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hi HUSid, I know followers of the program are interested but until information is provided by the family please try to avoid speculating on Joe or condensing inside info into thoughts about what you think will happen. Had a few requests regarding this, plus while this discussion is not yet a possible HIPAA violation or providing me any liability, if someone takes it a step further and provides any specifics about why he may/may not return it would. Thanks for understanding.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

cactus wrote:Hi HUSid, I know followers of the program are interested but until information is provided by the family please try to avoid speculating on Joe or condensing inside info into thoughts about what you think will happen. Had a few requests regarding this, plus while this discussion is not yet a HIPAA violation or providing me any liability, if someone takes it a step further and provides any specifics about why he may/may not return it would. Thanks for understanding.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
He was just giving his opinion. I dont think that qualifies as a HIPAA violation.

This is a message board. We are allowed to express what we think can or will happen. Right?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

joeg1 wrote:I'm usually one to give the program the benefit of the doubt, but I think the way they've handled Joe's illness is/was pretty crappy. Information can be shared tactfully (without getting too specific if that is his wish) in a way that shows consideration for the concerns of the Hofstra community. Besides maybe Rabinowitz, Joe is probably the highest profile person in the whole school. Radio silence for over six months is just unacceptable.
I completely agree. Joe and his family are obviously entitled to their privacy, but Joe is a public figure, there will be wild speculation if nothing is said. Just a brief update for the people who care about him and the program would have been appreciated.

As for the coaching this year, well it sucked.

Our matchup zone was crapola in CAA play, and our offense was sloppy, we never got the most out of the players. There was always so much confusion, and seemingly few adjustments, we did not finish games well. The offense wasn't a complete failure, it showed some great flashes, but it seemed like we didn't have the shooters for the system and we struggled to make adjustments off that reality. Defensively we were a disaster though, one of the worst in school history, which was a shame because our starting lineup had defensive talent.

I'm not some Pangloss guy who always thinks we have the best team, but we had the most talent this year. In the 20 years in CAA, we've only had the most talent this year and '20. You have to get it done if you have the most talent, especially considering how beat up the other CAA rosters were. The seas parted for us, and we got blown out by Elon in the semifinals. We had no composure, and you get composure from confidence in your preparation. Elon and Drexel were able to develop that composure, there's really no excuse for our lack of it, especially with three returning starters, who ultimately had good seasons.

Overall though I believe in Farrelly. It was a tough year to be a rookie coach, and I think he's going to learn a lot from the failures of this season. I've always liked his character and hoops IQ, just too many moving parts to overcome the inexperience of captaining the ship. I hope Hofstra has the foresight to take the interim tag off and let him run with the program the next few years.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:
cactus wrote:Hi HUSid, I know followers of the program are interested but until information is provided by the family please try to avoid speculating on Joe or condensing inside info into thoughts about what you think will happen. Had a few requests regarding this, plus while this discussion is not yet a HIPAA violation or providing me any liability, if someone takes it a step further and provides any specifics about why he may/may not return it would. Thanks for understanding.

He was just giving his opinion. I dont think that qualifies as a HIPAA violation.

This is a message board. We are allowed to express what we think can or will happen. Right?
I made it clear it's not one yet
(this is something I handle professionally) but if it's based on any inside info it's getting into hairy territory and the discussion itself, in language like "don't expect him back as head coach" etc., being that the reason in that case would be health related, invites a potential HIPAA issue if more info gets provided without consent. Additionally I mentioned I've received some requests privately to not allow discussion of it on the boards, some of which may or may not be people close to the family (I don't know either way). I totally get as fans of the program we want to know what's going on, but I agree with those requests that out of respect we should wait until we hear something from someone in an official program or family capacity to speculate on his health and future.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cactus I was just expressing my opinion/hypothesis if you may...There is no violation of anything, only my speculation based upon close to 50 years of being associated with the program.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Thanks for clarifying HUSid that your statement was not based on privileged info. Just to be clear, I haven't identified any HIPAA/privacy issues yet, just trying to proactively prevent one from occurring.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Today's the anniversary of last year's championship (March 10th).

I understand the desire for transparency on what's going on with Joe and the head coaching position for next year, but we JUST ended THIS season. I think we need to take a collective breath and let this play out while we of course all wish Joe the best, just for he and his family health-wise first, forgetting basketball for a while.

IF Farrelly ends up being the head coach next year, whether in an acting role again or on a more permanent basis, I think we need to cut him some slack for this season, which although wasn't the kind of year that was hoped for, was still very far from a disaster or anything like that. They came up short but Farrelly still maintained the team as a legitimate contender. Remember also, he was extremely instrumental in the defense that played a tremendous role in winning regular-season and conference tourney titles last year, and he lost his best defender (one of the best in the conference) in Buie along with another pretty good one in Pemberton. And just like players need time to grow from their freshman or sophomore years, it's more than fair to say that Farrelly (IF he's the HC again) deserves at least one full, normal season next year to grow into that role. It's tough to judge him as a HC after only a single year that was as atypical as this one has been.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Today's the anniversary of last year's championship (March 10th).

I understand the desire for transparency on what's going on with Joe and the head coaching position for next year, but we JUST ended THIS season. I think we need to take a collective breath and let this play out while we of course all wish Joe the best, just for he and his family health-wise first, forgetting basketball for a while.

IF Farrelly ends up being the head coach next year, whether in an acting role again or on a more permanent basis, I think we need to cut him some slack for this season, which although wasn't the kind of year that was hoped for, was still very far from a disaster or anything like that. They came up short but Farrelly still maintained the team as a legitimate contender. Remember also, he was extremely instrumental in the defense that played a tremendous role in winning regular-season and conference tourney titles last year, and he lost his best defender (one of the best in the conference) in Buie along with another pretty good one in Pemberton. And just like players need time to grow from their freshman or sophomore years, it's more than fair to say that Farrelly (IF he's the HC again) deserves at least one full, normal season next year to grow into that role. It's tough to judge him as a HC after only a single year that was as atypical as this one has been.
It almost seems like what I said a few days ago is somewhat being paraphrased here to some extent which some people took exception to?? Not trying to be argumentative here but was in Mike's corner based on everything that went down this year and the replacing of two starters who just happened to be our leading scorers.

I don't like people calling the season a failure and maybe it was in the perspective of when you don't win the championship you haven't accomplished what your ultimate goal was. We replaced our two leading scorers(seniors) with a red shirt freshman who hadn't played basketball in three years and a sophomore PG who played very little in his freshman year. Kudos to Caleb for a very gritty game and making big plays during very big moments. I look at this year as successful in my own eyes and just to get to the semi-finals knowing the adversity and what we had to replace with an interim coach all speaks positive volumes. I personally thank the staff and the players for giving us an exciting year of basketball when we all had doubts whether it would even come to fruition. Thanks for all the personal sacrifice/hard work and after seeing Mike break up during the post presser really felt for him and what he went thru. I was very touched on how emotional he got. Yes a bitter pill to swallow but thanks for getting us there to experience the moment. I enjoyed the ride!!

triplec2195

joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I don't think anyone on this board (myself included) is privy to any of Coach's health info via any insider privilege. First and foremost, I hope he is doing well/better healthwise, whether or not he is ever able to retake the helm. It's a delicate situation, that I guess will have to play out in due course. At some point, actions will speak louder than words. He'll either be well enough to coach or he won't. Of course, the situation doesn't exist in a vacuum, and decisions that impact others can't be deferred indefinitely.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

If you post on a Jets message board, people talk about injuries. No one worries about HIPAA. This is a message board, no narcs here.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: I don't like people calling the season a failure and maybe it was in the perspective of when you don't win the championship you haven't accomplished what your ultimate goal was. We replaced our two leading scorers(seniors) with a red shirt freshman who hadn't played basketball in three years and a sophomore PG who played very little in his freshman year. Kudos to Caleb for a very gritty game and making big plays during very big moments. I look at this year as successful in my own eyes and just to get to the semi-finals knowing the adversity and what we had to replace with an interim coach all speaks positive volumes.
If what guys like Burgess, Cramer, Kante did this year, and even Farrelly (if he's back as HC next year) all develop more next year (and maybe Masic) and possibly in years to come, and they win a title or multiple titles with HU in the coming years, then this year was successful.

I feel comfortable saying that Buie, Eli and Joe would not have led HU to their titles last year without the growth they developed in their prior years at HU. So, the same for the returning key players moving forward and for the acting coach who could remain as HC. They all learned a lot and despite some growing pains for each, they all showed some promise and things to build on further. Cramer had a good first year, Burgess generally took a good leap forward as the year progressed and as he was counted on more. Kante didn't progress much from a good sophomore year (although his ppg and rpg went up in only a bit more playing time), but he also didn't regress at all and the experience of a junior year along will help him next year. Farrelly being a HC for a first time will undoubtedly help him in the future should he remain in that role.

So, "disappointment" is more than a fair term to describe this season because they came up short as legitimate contenders. But "failure?" I don't think that can be judged either way until later on. If what was experienced and learned from this year helps them get to the top later, it's not a failure at all. It's simply part of the growth process.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

No, I'll say it was a failure.

Did you see the rosters our competitors rolled out? With all due respect to Drexel, they were a tomato can last year, and they got it done this year. Hell of a job by Spiker and the team to get it done, but come on.

I hope the players and coaching staff look at this year like a failure too. They have to know they can be the best team in the CAA.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:If you post on a Jets message board, people talk about injuries. No one worries about HIPAA. This is a message board, no narcs here.
So generally player injuries you hear about through official sources and were made public as contractually agreed.
Don't really want to get any further into HIPAA specifics, how it applies, or what my liability would be with the site, but clearly the family and program don't want or aren't ready to put us in the loop yet and just hoping we will respect that concept here.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:No, I'll say it was a failure.

Did you see the rosters our competitors rolled out? With all due respect to Drexel, they were a tomato can last year, and they got it done this year. Hell of a job by Spiker and the team to get it done, but come on.

I hope the players and coaching staff look at this year like a failure too. They have to know they can be the best team in the CAA.
They have the most talent in Hempstead, but were wildly inconsistent this year. But the team with the best head coach lost in the semis too.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Wags, I just read your latest HU article on NY Sports Day and I was very moved. Thanks so much for writing about the team for all of this 2020-21 season. I also hope you are fully recovered from your illness and are feeling much better.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:To Wags, I just read your latest HU article on NY Sports Day and I was very moved. Thanks so much for writing about the team for all of this 2020-21 season. I also hope you are fully recovered from your illness and are feeling much better.
Thanks for reading Shadow and for the kind words. Appreciate it. I'm not quite fully recovered (I cannot believe it is taking this long for the surgery wounds to heal), but it's not stopping me from doing anything I'd normally do (only Covid is still doing that at this point).

Anyway, I was just reminiscing since the celebration was going on in D.C. at around this time of night one year ago on this date, so enjoy these:

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 3969530880
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 7326976001
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 0602400771 (Fast Eddie!)

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 2568798209
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 6265940993 (Jerry Beach in one of these!)
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 3562358784
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 2109658113
Wags

Post by Wags »

Texted Joe tonight to tell him happy one-year anniversary. He replied:

"Thanks for thinking of me!! I feel good!!"

Encouraging to hear that and I thought it would make everyone here happy to hear that!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:No, I'll say it was a failure.

Couldnt agree more. Total failure this season. Everyone dealt with covid. Some dealt with it better than others. It isnt an excuse for the effort, or lack their of in most games.

Drexel really got coached up well. Normally, I would think of them as our rivals, but this season we just didnt have killer instinct. Never in contention. Happy for them.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, Good luck with your continued recovery and thanks for the trip down memory lane.