MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
4EverDutch

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by 4EverDutch »

Any concerns that the more highly regarded recruits/transfers like Kante and Cramer might in turn transfer out once re-established?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

No.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

4EverDutch wrote:Any concerns that the more highly regarded recruits/transfers like Kante and Cramer might in turn transfer out once re-established?
I hope not - loyalty is, hopeful, a two-way street
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

They have an excellent record in this regard so hopefully it continues.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

JAM and his staff have turned Hofstra into a perennial CAA contender Two main reasons for transferring is lack of playing time and frustration being stuck in a mediocre program
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Stu: You are correct, but have been watching this for years. We reach a high level then something happens and it falls apart. From the back-to-back NCAA appearances in the Rich Laurel era, to the back-to-backs under Jay Wright - then even the Pecora era with the NIT appearances - to the Tim Welch/Laptop theft mess. I'm fearful that the Covid and Mihalich illness could trigger the same fall. But as you note, so far so good. If a small Catholic school in Spokane (Gonzaga) can remain consistently competitive there is no reason that Hofstra should not.
Polito

Post by Polito »

A) Nah, no major concern - nothing is guaranteed in life of course, but I feel very good about HU in retention. They've earned that trust with a superior track record in that regard.

B) What Gonzaga has done is truly remarkable. They aren't just competitive, they are consistently one of the best programs in the country year in and out. And might be THE best this year. Their success is unprecedented and beyond impressive.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This guy has been on the x-fer radar, and I'd say he's got some options lol - looks like a very tough pull, HU should have a few alternatives in the hopper:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 6542727170
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:This guy has been on the x-fer radar, and I'd say he's got some options lol - looks like a very tough pull, HU should have a few alternatives in the hopper:

thats some list - yes he'd be a nice get for us - but there is some stiff competition we'd going up against
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
Polito wrote:This guy has been on the x-fer radar, and I'd say he's got some options lol - looks like a very tough pull, HU should have a few alternatives in the hopper:

thats some list - yes he'd be a nice get for us - but there is some stiff competition we'd going up against
So we have a 1/27 chance of getting him lol. He played in 29 games last year started 2 and averaged 6 points a game getting 18 minutes. He also had 4+ rebounds a game. A decent three point shooter at 36% we need that desperately. Certainly doesn't have stats that would jump out at you but a solid player coming of the bench.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Couple of quick updates on Barrouk:

His teams season started this past week after the initial league covid delay. Will be keeping track...

Nice feature on him:
https://papreplive.com/2021/01/19/dln-b ... o-the-top/

This one you need access, but wanted to show his naming as one of the elites:
https://www.prephoops.com/2021/01/chest ... -forwards/
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

TY for the post Polito it's nice to keep track of our incoming recruits to see how they're doing. Everyone is anxious to see these kids playing for us.
Cards

Post by Cards »

not much to discuss lately - so I'd thought I'd ping the group to hear if anyone has heard anything.

So assuming none of the three seniors (TC, JR, ST) return for next season, we currently have 8 returnees and 2 commits.......leaving three open spots.

Logical to assume we will target at least one 5. If only one, I think it will be a transfer with experience. If we go for two 5's, likely one freshman and one transfer.

I don't think we will go for another PG, as we have CB for two more years, we are picking up JC for four years, and have guys like VM who can bring the ball up once in a while.

I'm not sure about the 4 spot. Obviously KC will continue at the 4. Does anyone think there is a chance that with more experience DG could develop and spend some time at the 3?? Do we really need another 4 at this point in time - our current 4's will be with us for some time.

I guess any other open spots we just go for the best available and/or keep a spot open "just in case".

Thoughts?
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

Either KC or DG are going to have to transition to 3, won't they? Not enough minutes for both these talented players and I can't imagine either being long term bench player.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

My biggest concern is getting someone to groom to replace Isaac. He has proven to be a dominant player fro us and replacing him will be very difficult.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

4EverDutch wrote:Either KC or DG are going to have to transition to 3, won't they? Not enough minutes for both these talented players and I can't imagine either being long term bench player.
They could play small with Cramer at the 5.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HU87

Post by HU87 »

I bet we commit some big minutes and go get a high scoring transfer this offseason.

We have ~30 ppg to replace and will need to give Kramer/Green/Masic and the rest another season to develop into that level of contribution.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HU87 wrote:I bet we commit some big minutes and go get a high scoring transfer this offseason.

We have ~30 ppg to replace and will need to give Kramer/Green/Masic and the rest another season to develop into that level of contribution.
In theory.. the seniors are eligible again next year.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
HU87 wrote:I bet we commit some big minutes and go get a high scoring transfer this offseason.

In theory.. the seniors are eligible again next year.

Maybe I have been assuming this but thought there was a good possibility of both Ray and Coburn coming back next year continuing to get a free education. I heard Speedy referencing this recently on CC&C Chronicles. Kante will be coming in as a junior next year true everyone getting a free pass this year so he has two years of eligibility left. Speedy has said on the cc and c that we're not recruiting anymore HS players for next year and are looking to get transfers because older kids are better MID Major players. What positions we will be looking for is another unknown. I asked the question whether Green and Cramer would be on the court at the same time and Farrelly said it's possible this year but we lose some ball handling skills if this should happen but did say they will definitely be playing together next year. It sounded like it will be the norm next year but who's coming back that's the question. Does anyone have any feelings re Ray and Coburn. If both should leave then we have a big void to fill but have a talented roster with kids getting valuable experience and you also have two scorers coming in next year. Even the worst case scenario sounds promising.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I see HU going hard after a seasoned and skilled transfer big to help round out another excellent class. Griffin is going to bring some much needed firepower, and we know Carlos will beef up the 1 behind a budding star in CB.

Kante, Cramer, and Green is going to be one helluva trio, adding in Burgess to lead, that leaves one spot open to secure: the vital 2 guard. Whoever fills this, Masic, Silverio, or someone else, must be able to shoot the lights out and score on a consistent basis.

There's also Zion who simply had a rough year 1... so much still to known about him, so who knows how he will play into the mix.

Not sure I see Ray or TC coming back, it may depend on how things end this year. But I don't know about their post school plans. Returning would be something, but I think either way HU is setting themselves up really well here.