Game#14 vs Towson

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
4EverDutch

Re: Game#14 vs Towson

Post by 4EverDutch »

Just win tomorrow and solidly in second place. Cramer proved me wrong on the 3's and hopefully contintues.
Wags

Post by Wags »

They really needed those 3s (4/5) from Cramer today - also the 2/2 from 3 from Trueheart in his 8 mins off the bench helped. Without that, they struggled yet again from there (5/18 for everyone else), with Coburn again settling for 2/8 from 3 while getting to the line just twice. He's so much more effective when he attacks. It's masked in a 13-point win, but I'll say the same on that as after the losses - he should be getting to line double-digit times every game instead of settling. He's capable of it, just doesn't always do it.

Defense, defense, defense - I'll keep saying that too, whether after the losses or a 13-point win. And today, they're down at the half but dominate Towson by 16 in the second half because they held the Tigers to just 27.6% shooting (8/29), including just 1/8 from 3 in the second half after Towson shot 53.6% (15/28) in the first half.

Looks like their CAA wins and losses are as streaky as their shooting so far (W2, L3, W2). Now they have to come back strong and get the sweep of Towson tomorrow to get to W3 and find some consistency over the final 10 CAA games after that. They're fortunate to be in second-place at just 4-3, but the rest of the league below them is mediocre so far, at best. Catching NU is going to be tough. The Huskies just keep rolling along, going to 7-0 today. Coen already the favorite for COY. But they don't need to catch NU, they just need to worry about their own game, keep gelling and get to the title game (presumably against NU at this point, though that could change) at JMU in March.

One other thing - it was his only one of the game, but I LOVE this assist from Kante after he sets the high pick and rolls to the left block to get the pass from Ray:
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 2563244032

He's, of course, often a threat to score down low, himself. So if Kante continues to make more passes like that out of the post, it could help open things up for some of HU's perimeter shooters who have been struggling and ultimately give HU a nice inside-outside threat as the season continues to progress.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Until I read it in Newsday, I didn't realize 16 points was Cramer's career-high. In 11 of his first 13 games, he scored 5 to 12.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

maske wrote:Hello people, I support this forum and I am impressed by the mature comments, so I decided to join the forum.
First of all, I would ask your forgiveness if you do not fully understand me because I work through a Google translator, because English is not my mother tongue.
I'm from faraway Serbia, and of course I'm a big fan of basketball.
I follow all HOFSTRA matches via flohops tv and I am slowly getting acquainted with the challenges of the matches.
As you know, there is a guy from Serbia in the team with your guys when I follow him, I guess you have a clear reason.
HE IS MY SON. I am very proud of him, and I believe he will become a good player.
The boys are not in good shape yet, but let's hope they play better. I can't wait for today's game and I hope to win, of course.
So far, so much, and I apologize once again if the google translator translates badly. Greetings from distant Serbia and
Belgrade
Hello and Welcome to the forum! Very impressed by Vukasin so far.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

cactus wrote:
maske wrote:Hello people, I support this forum and I am impressed by the mature comments, so I decided to join the forum.
First of all, I would ask your forgiveness if you do not fully understand me because I work through a Google translator, because English is not my mother tongue.
I'm from faraway Serbia, and of course I'm a big fan of basketball.
I follow all HOFSTRA matches via flohops tv and I am slowly getting acquainted with the challenges of the matches.
As you know, there is a guy from Serbia in the team with your guys when I follow him, I guess you have a clear reason.
HE IS MY SON. I am very proud of him, and I believe he will become a good player.
The boys are not in good shape yet, but let's hope they play better. I can't wait for today's game and I hope to win, of course.
So far, so much, and I apologize once again if the google translator translates badly. Greetings from distant Serbia and
Belgrade
Hello and Welcome to the forum! Very impressed by Vukasin so far.
Make sure to get him in the weight room this offseason back in Serbia. Weights have no language barrier. Lets get him JACKED for his sophmore season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ah can’t believe I missed this post, thanks for reposting cactus - welcome maske, great to have you! Appreciate the familith of players participating here - HU is glad to have Vukasin - he is a work in progress as a frosh of course, but has shown some ability to build upon and the staff seems to really believe in him.

Would love to know what brought your son to HU?
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Welcome maske; it is great to have you and your son with us. As Polito notes our coaches seem to have confidence in Vukasin. He appears composed and makes good decisions with the ball. As he grows stronger, more confident and agressive his game and contribution will grow. I gather you have 2 more children; what are they like? Again welcome!
maske

Post by maske »

Thanks to everyone at the nice reception on the forum, and I'm looking forward to exchanging opinions about basketball.
I'm glad that you have nice opinions about Vukasin, that means a lot to me as a parent.
Polito, Vukasin had many offers, but opted for Hofstra because of Mihalich and Speedy.
Speedy watched him the most in high school Hoosac recommended him for Hofstra coach Mihalich.
Of course, Speedy is a living legend, Vukasin knows everything about him as well as other NBA players. In Serbia, basketball is very popular and the NBA is followed a lot, so Vukasin is also in love with your world stars.
As a father, I recognized his love for the ball in time, and here it is ....
Now he is there with you, let's hope that he will be successful in sports and college.
What is the problem for him is that he does not play in the position he played in Crvena zvezda, but in the position 3. He did not play in the national team either, so he gets used to that position in the team.
Most importantly, know that we have got a team player who will just show what he knows. When he is completely free and gets more freedom in the game, we will all enjoy it.
and finally, whatever you are interested in, feel free to ask me, I will be happy to exchange opinions with you.
I hope that tomorrow the guys will make us happy, so that we can chat about the victory tomorrow
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

maske wrote:Thanks to everyone at the nice reception on the forum, and I'm looking forward to exchanging opinions about basketball.
I'm glad that you have nice opinions about Vukasin, that means a lot to me as a parent.
Polito, Vukasin had many offers, but opted for Hofstra because of Mihalich and Speedy.
Speedy watched him the most in high school Hoosac recommended him for Hofstra coach Mihalich.
Of course, Speedy is a living legend, Vukasin knows everything about him as well as other NBA players. In Serbia, basketball is very popular and the NBA is followed a lot, so Vukasin is also in love with your world stars.
Now he is there with you, let's hope that he will be successful in sports and college.
What is the problem for him is that he does not play in the position he played in Crvena zvezda, but in the position 3. He did not play in the national team either, so he gets used to that position in the team.
Most importantly, know that we have got a team player who will just show what he knows. When he is completely free and gets more freedom in the game, we will all enjoy it.
and finally, whatever you are interested in, feel free to ask me, I will be happy to exchange opinions with you.
I hope that tomorrow the guys will make us happy, so that we can chat about the victory tomorrow
IDK that we ever had a parent of a player posting on the forum but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will quickly correct me. We have had former players but that hasn't always worked out. I know sir if I were in your shoes I would be sensitive maybe even protective of my son and the comments made about him. Having said that how refreshing it is to have a parent commenting on the team and giving us a little background that we otherwise would not be privy to. I think that you have to be quite happy for your son to be in a position to get valuable playing time which isn't always the situation for freshmen. Vukasin has already shown he can and does contribute and his last game is a testament as to what he can contribute. Thanks for joining the forum it's nice to have you as well as Vukasin on the team. Much success.
Wags

Post by Wags »

maske wrote:Thanks to everyone at the nice reception on the forum, and I'm looking forward to exchanging opinions about basketball.
Welcome, maske! It's great to have you posting here! Best of luck to your son! Coach Farrelly is very high on his future development and upside as a player.

Wondering what you and others in Serbia have thought of another Hofstra legend there, especially during his own time with Crvena zvezda - Charles Jenkins - if you can share.
maske

Post by maske »

Charles Jenkins is a legend of the Hofstra, but also of the Red Star, such a man above all, and a player who left indelible marks in the Red Star. Nowhere in Serbia will you find someone who will say something bad about him. NOBODY ANYONE. Vukasin was lucky to meet him personally as a very young man, and his impressions of him are incredible.
The most important thing is that all the players who played for Red Star are real professionals and they played great.
BUT Charles Jenkins IT IS SOMETHING THAT IS LOVED AND RESPECTED.
Wags

Post by Wags »

maske wrote:Charles Jenkins is a legend of the Hofstra, but also of the Red Star, such a man above all, and a player who left indelible marks in the Red Star. Nowhere in Serbia will you find someone who will say something bad about him. NOBODY ANYONE. Vukasin was lucky to meet him personally as a very young man, and his impressions of him are incredible.
The most important thing is that all the players who played for Red Star are real professionals and they played great.
Thanks, maske! Great to hear that!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maske a belated welcome to the boards. Nice to get to know you and your son during these trying times. Looking forward to seeing your son develop as not only a basketball player but as a student as well. What is he interested in academically. What field of work would he like to go into once his basketball career is over.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Game Notes say HCLAS (Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences).
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is awesome stuff, thank you maske for the insight! Really great to hear about Jenkins, he was a man among boys at HU, and a super citizen to the HU community. So great to know that HU has at least a bit of a reputation overseas, really cool.

Enjoying learning a bit about Vukasins journey here from you, thank you - that he had lots of choices, selected HU, and the part that Speedy and Joe played in it - and if Speedy likes a guard, that's an exciting endorsement! :D This staff isn't perfect, no staff is, but they have tremendous hearts for this program, their players, and the university - they do things the right way, without compromise, and have built a winner with high quality young men who are as easy to root for on the court as they are off it. Proud supporter!

It's not extremely often or anything, but we have had parents before - we used to get them more with the football program - I used to mix it up quite a bit with them 'back in the day' when I was less tempered and much hungrier for a fight LOL - I know it can be challenging, this is a fan board so we provide our opinions, and need to be able to do that freely... sometimes they can be harsh, and I'm sure tough to read as a parent - but that's the nature of these things, and for the most part, there's a lot of love and appreciation here.

This board is the collection of the most diehard TRUE Hofstra fans around, period. We want nothing more than HU to prosper. So my stance has always been take the good with the bad, because this group absolutely bleeds blue and gold!

Your son has ability, a seemingly level-headed maturity about him for such a young player - he's definitely making some mistakes, expected as a freshman, but the potential is also pretty visible - I am usually not that high on Euro players, they often have a hard time transitioning to the physicality and speed and of the American game, especially the ones that come to mid majors, and I admit that has been my concern with Vukasin. But to be honest he seems to be ahead of most in his situation, and he has been earning a lot of trust from the staff because of it. Pulling for him!

Nice start for him yesterday, and he had a great pass / assist to Kante in the post near the end. It's great to have him, and to have you on these boards, we hope you stick around and become a fan for life!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

maske wrote:Charles Jenkins is a legend of the Hofstra, but also of the Red Star, such a man above all, and a player who left indelible marks in the Red Star. Nowhere in Serbia will you find someone who will say something bad about him. NOBODY ANYONE. Vukasin was lucky to meet him personally as a very young man, and his impressions of him are incredible.
Charles Jenkins is a Hofstra legend. Glad to hear that he is leaving his mark everywhere he goes. Hopefully Pemba can continue the Hofstra tradition in the NBA.
maske

Post by maske »

OH, I am moved by the words with which you evaluate Vukasin's fight on the way to the stars. I am very glad that he has your support on that path, and I believe that he will justify it with his games.
Yes, mistakes are visible, but time works for him and there will be better moments.
Stubal 888 asked about his faculty interest - he is most interested in sports management, I think he will declare himself for that.
once again I thank everyone for the nice reception, and I will surely follow this really great forum with exceptional basketball fans, and of course faithful loyalty to HOFSTRA.
ALLOW ME TO BE LIKE THAT
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If he wants to major in Management or any other business, he should declare that ASAP. The Zarb School of Business has so many requirements that if a freshman is undeclared and decides to major in business after one year, it could take over four years to graduate. It's not important to know which business (Accounting, Management, Marketing, etc.) a student wants to major in as a freshman, but it's important to know if he or she wants to major in a business.