Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Polito »

Wow, that's huge, another monster blow for UD / the CAA... but a great change for HU. League is open for biz again, HU was already likely top 3-4. Should have sights set on repeat ... and dance for real this time.

He's got 2 years eligibility, kid sees an opp, hard not to take it. Transfer is becoming soooo easy now. Will continue to take colossal effort for mids to retain talent. Knowing all that not so much a shock at this point, more of the expected yearly mass exodus of talent every year in the CAA - thankfully, just not HU under JM.

That ability alone of this staff is a big thing keeping this program in the top half of the conf nearly every season. Huge kudos to them, it's tremendous really 8-)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mutts still has the option of returning to Delaware. Is it likely ,no but this puts Delaware in a tough spot. If they fill the spot left by Mutts and use their 13 schollys there is no room for him unless they either withdraw the scholly from the new recruit or give him a need based ship.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: I certainly felt that Delaware was the odds on favorite to win the CAA this year because it looked like they were returning all their starters but now we certainly have to be major included in this discussion. Losing Mutts is a huge loss for Delaware and like you said Evan he played well against us. Delaware also lost Colin Goss who averaged over 6 points a game and 4.5 boards. He also had some good games against us. We are losing 35+ points a game which is similar to what we lost the year before when JWF and Taylor graduated but this just begins to tell the story of losing Eli and Desure with all their experience and Buie's leadership. However if Elmo/Burgess are solid at the point and we find a kid(s) who can score and we certainly have a lot to chose from we will be coming in with another strong and competitive team.

Thanks for this info. Evan!!
Goss averaged 7.7 points and 6.2 rebounds in 11 games before Dylan Painter was eligible, and 5.3 points and 3.5 rebounds in 22 games while Painter was eligible. Painter is now their only returning player who averaged at least 4 rebounds. Nate Darling averaged 3.9 and is their second leading returning rebounder. They only had seven players average at least 10 minutes per team game, which is how I define a starter or important bench player. Painter shot much better than Mutts, and Painter had a slightly more rebounds and blocks per minute, but Mutts was much better at assists and steals. Mutts had 1.39 times as many assists per minute as Painter with a much better assist/turnover ratio, and Mutts had 4.67 times as many steals per minute. Even among forwards who rarely get steals, Painter had 4 steals, which was an extremely low 1 per 110.5 minutes. Kante had 1 steal per 52.8 minutes, which is over twice as many steals per minute as Painter. Schutte had 1 steal per exactly 43 minutes. In 2018-2019, Taylor had 1 steal per 49.1 minutes, and Dwyer had 1 steal per exactly 57.25 minutes. Among other CAA players who rarely or never shot threes, minutes per steal were 46.5 for JMU's Dwight Wilson, 53.7 for Drexel's James Butler, 38.6 for UNCW's Marten Linssen, and 20.4 for Charleston's Osinachi Smart. I'm making a big deal out of something that isn't important, but it's hard to have only 1 steal per 110.5 minutes. I looked for one of our players who had a worse steal rate than that. In 2007-2008, Arminas Urbutis had 2 steals in 250 minutes, which is 1 per 125, but he didn't meet my standard of 10 minutes per team game. Our only player in the CAA to play at least 10 minutes per team game with over 100 minutes per steal was Wendell Gibson, who had 2 in 452 minutes, which is 1 per 226, in our first season in the CAA in 2001-2002.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: I certainly felt that Delaware was the odds on favorite to win the CAA this year because it looked like they were returning all their starters but now we certainly have to be major included in this discussion. Losing Mutts is a huge loss for Delaware and like you said Evan he played well against us. Delaware also lost Colin Goss who averaged over 6 points a game and 4.5 boards. He also had some good games against us. We are losing 35+ points a game which is similar to what we lost the year before when JWF and Taylor graduated but this just begins to tell the story of losing Eli and Desure with all their experience and Buie's leadership. However if Elmo/Burgess are solid at the point and we find a kid(s) who can score and we certainly have a lot to chose from we will be coming in with another strong and competitive team.

Goss averaged 7.7 points and 6.2 rebounds in 11 games before Dylan Painter was eligible, and 5.3 points and 3.5 rebounds in 22 games while Painter was eligible. Painter is now their only returning player who averaged at least 4 rebounds. Nate Darling averaged 3.9 and is their second leading returning rebounder. They only had seven players average at least 10 minutes per team game, which is how I define a starter or important bench player. Painter shot much better than Mutts, and Painter had a slightly more rebounds and blocks per minute, but Mutts was much better at assists and steals. Mutts had 1.39 times as many assists per minute as Painter with a much better assist/turnover ratio, and Mutts had 4.67 times as many steals per minute. Even among forwards who rarely get steals, Painter had 4 steals, which was an extremely low 1 per 110.5 minutes. Kante had 1 steal per 52.8 minutes, which is over twice as many steals per minute as Painter. Schutte had 1 steal per exactly 43 minutes. In 2018-2019, Taylor had 1 steal per 49.1 minutes, and Dwyer had 1 steal per exactly 57.25 minutes. Among other CAA players who rarely or never shot threes, minutes per steal were 46.5 for JMU's Dwight Wilson, 53.7 for Drexel's James Butler, 38.6 for UNCW's Marten Linssen, and 20.4 for Charleston's Osinachi Smart. I'm making a big deal out of something that isn't important, but it's hard to have only 1 steal per 110.5 minutes. I looked for one of our players who had a worse steal rate than that. In 2007-2008, Arminas Urbutis had 2 steals in 250 minutes, which is 1 per 125, but he didn't meet my standard of 10 minutes per team game. Our only player in the CAA to play at least 10 minutes per team game with over 100 minutes per steal was Wendell Gibson, who had 2 in 452 minutes, which is 1 per 226, in our first season in the CAA in 2001-2002.
transferring UD F Mutts going to VaTech
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
EvanJ wrote:

transferring UD F Mutts going to VaTech
Going from the CAA TO THE ACC that's quite a jump it will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets and how well he plays. He's a good player and can rebound.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

There is also talk on the hens board that Darling might opt for the G League. making 100K for a history major is not peanuts. He can develop his game further at a higher level while earning decent $$$$.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Go Hokies baby!! Love it!

And I can tell you from the VT boards there is solid excitement around landing him, he will have the opp to play right away, may even secure a starting position. Was between VT, Houston, and Miss St. This move is a win for me x2 lol! 8-)
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra at San Francisco, November 29th https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 5379405824
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/07 ... r-changes/

Duquesne added to schedule, although no date listed.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So by my count we have,

San Fran
San Jose
LSU
Duquesne
2 of either Air Force, Florida Atlantic, Southern Ill.
Princeton
Bucknell
Monmouth
Stony Brook

So thats 10 games. Throw in a local D2 game making 11.
I expect we will play Manhattan making 12.
Any word on another game which would round out the 13 game OOC schedule?
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Thanks for this rundown!

Seems like LSU could have a serious squad, pending some transfers/NBA Draft decisions-- They have a top-10 recruiting class too which includes a 5-star PG who is the all time leading scorer in Oak Hill history.

Any of these other teams poised to be top of their conferences?
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like those 2 adds, SF is always a solid mid with good rank/rep/perception, and the Dukes are regional and at least bring the A10, and they should be very young this season (i.e. winnable).

Overall I actually like how this OOC is shaping up, outside of San Jose, most are pretty decent comp / matchups in some way.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Polito - "outside of San Jose," the same San Jose that beat us at home last year. Seems like a good and very competitive schedule.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We not might play any of these games. The Ivy League just cancelled all sports until Jan. 1. Will other leagues follow?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/spor ... virus.html
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:We not might play any of these games. The Ivy League just cancelled all sports until Jan. 1. Will other leagues follow?

Too early to tell, but non-conference games not as important to Ivy League schools as other midmajors. Am sure other leagues will do everything they can to schedule non-conference games against power 5 teams, even if it means no fans.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Whoa. No Ivy league football this year. I looked at Hofstra Website and no schedules posted for fall sports which are usually posted by now, at least in part. I suspect that if fall sports proceed there will be a lot of ad hoc and more localized scheduling.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:We not might play any of these games. The Ivy League just cancelled all sports until Jan. 1. Will other leagues follow?

Too early to tell, but non-conference games not as important to Ivy League schools as other midmajors. Am sure other leagues will do everything they can to schedule non-conference games against power 5 teams, even if it means no fans.
Will this turn into a domino effect just like when the IVY League opted out of their league playoffs? Not long after that The NCAA tourney was cancelled. What a nightmare. Will we see basketball in the fall??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Could we see it in the Winter or spring
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.46535193

D'Antonio quoted in this story saying CAA football proceeding as planned. Cole also quoted about losing non-conference basketball game against Princeton. Hopefully they can re-add them to schedule for 2021/22 season since would be cool to see program like that at Mack.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Right now with the virus raging out of control in most of the US I believe sports are in jeopardy. The Ivies cancelling all fall sports will create a crescendo like it did in the Spring.
Look for basketball to resume sometime in January if we are lucky!