Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

practice facility completed

Post by cactus »

HUSID80

Re: practice facility completed

Post by HUSID80 »

This new facility has got to give us a significant new weapon in recruiting against not only local schools but within the CAA as well. Not sure how many CAA schools have anything like this; I know Delaware does, any others?????? For sure I don't think ANY local school has one.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I can't think of any local schools that do. Seton Hall practices on campus and play their games at the Prudential Center, but that's about it. I know Rutgers is talking about one, but that's been years in the works.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Stumbled across this today… Uconn had a ceremony dedicated their new practice facility and one of the pictures that was floating around is strangely similar to our facility. Vey similar court, same room set up with a full court, 2 half courts, and foul lane, and baskets on the wall. It could have been the same company, since Jeff Hathaway would know the companies Uconn uses.

Hofstra: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/p ... 215512.jpg
Uconn: http://www.trbimg.com/img-544165c7/turb ... 00/500x281
CT Bob

Post by CT Bob »

I believe the main difference is UConn has seperate facilities for the men & women.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The cost of their practice facility is 40 mil. I really like our facility and it compares favorably to UConns. Once you are inside it makes no difference. I am sure Hofstra got its moneys worth. Nice job Hofstra!
Polito

Post by Polito »

flat out 1st class - for a mid major, it's absolutely top notch, and IMO puts HU right on the forefront with ANY level of the tri-state programs
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

In general, I'd have to say that Hofstra's facilities, all things included, would have to be better than anyone else around the area. I know we've had this talk before, but in all honesty, who has it better?? You can probably find a school that has a better something (a baseball field or a soccer stadium, etc. etc.), but as a complete set, seriously, what school has a better full set?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

For a mid major we have the best facilities in the northeast.
Polito

Post by Polito »

exactly - major props to HU all around, the admin, the athletic folks, everyone - it's deserved

the football axing was bogus BS, no question - and I still don't agree with it and have hopes for it's return one day post-Rab

HOWEVER, it cannot be denied that HU as a whole has shown fantastic commitment to the other major programs, esp basketball - none of us would have ever thought after the fball fiasco that HU would commit to something like that practice facility - no way, not one person here - I mean a PRACTICE facility? after axing fball and all the haters talking about how HU was downgrading the entire athletics dept?

this is HUGE - the JM hire was HUGE - the admin as a whole has grown tremendously over the last few yrs and started making not just moves, but the RIGHT moves - far cry from my early yrs as a student/fan in the mid-late 90's!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I've only seen pictures of the practice facility but aren't we making too much of a big deal of it. We took the north end of the PFC (which already had a BB court expanded it a bit, put up a lot of pics of former stars and added a new floor. This was not a facility that was built from the ground up.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

While all that is true Bob it is still a facility dedicated to basketball only. teams men and women will never be bumped out of their regular practice times. Players can practice on their own 24/7.
Cards

Post by Cards »

recuits won't know the history - they will just see what is there now. For a mid-major, I think its pretty impressive. Combine that with the Mack arena, weight training rooms, etc, and its a nice package.
Polito

Post by Polito »

don't mean to squash you bobe13, but you are totally off base on this one

can't over promote the value of that practice facility - trust me, it's making a MAJOR impact. Coaches have said so, media has said so, RECRUITS have said so. This staff has now landed 4 3* kids IN A ROW, not to mention the quality level of transfers, and all of them have mentioned the facilities as being a factor

I don't care if they re-purposed the student caf for it, it's a BIG deal - that's why only HU and UD have one so far in the entire league. And quite frankly, HU's practice facility is better than half the CAA's home arenas.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Does Northeastern have one? I know their games are played at Matthews, but I don't know what their practice situation is.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Just wondering- does this get built with the fb program bleeding money?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Who knows its just speculation now. Does anyone have any info on the final cost?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

No clue. I see a lot of Nike logos on the wall though. I'm sure they didn't pay for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if some money came from Oregon.