JWF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: JWF

Post by Cards »

So it looks like the Salt Lake City Stars (G league) will be somewhat of a CAA reunion. Not only do they have JWF and J Brantley, but thier roster also lists Shawn Occeus (from Northeastern). Small world.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sorry for the delay Wags :)

I watched them against the Lakers - and I should be honest with my disclaimer, I can't stand the NBA - almost unwatchable to me - so I thought both teams looked like garbage - also start of the season, so I'm sure there's some acclimation taking place - but it's awful in my eyes lol

And not because they aren't good players - the NBA clearly has supreme talent and size across the board - I just can't stand how the game looks when they play it - just trash to me

Conley will no doubt put up points, I know he can play - I just think in a league as wide open scoring and zero defense as the nba is, JWF could at least provide something - not starter material, doesn't have the size, but he certainly could come off the bench for a few shots

But I agree, he most likely will have a very tough time getting that opp unfortunately
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: So it looks like the Salt Lake City Stars (G league) will be somewhat of a CAA reunion. Not only do they have JWF and J Brantley, but thier roster also lists Shawn Occeus (from Northeastern). Small world.
I wonder if a pro team in any country had ever had three CAA players before. Occeus is the second CAA player I know of to go pro after fewer than four seasons. VCU's Larry Sanders was taken in the NBA Draft after three seasons. The Stars have Trevon Bluiett, who scored 2,261 for Xavier, so scoring that much in a top conference doesn't guarantee you'll make an NBA roster. Kyle Collinsworth scored 1,707 points and had 703 assists for BYU. He won WCC POY as a senior in 2015-2016. He went to Provo High School, BYU in Provo, and is back near Provo after three G League seasons elsewhere. That gives them three players who scored over 2,200 points and/or won POY, and Brantley scored 1,914.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Cards wrote:So it looks like the Salt Lake City Stars (G league) will be somewhat of a CAA reunion. Not only do they have JWF and J Brantley, but thier roster also lists Shawn Occeus (from Northeastern). Small world.
They must have had a scout that saw a lot of CAA games. Occeus is definitely a defensive stopper. Not quite as big but could eventually develop into a Kent Bazemore type.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Sorry for the delay Wags :)

I watched them against the Lakers - and I should be honest with my disclaimer, I can't stand the NBA - almost unwatchable to me - so I thought both teams looked like garbage - also start of the season, so I'm sure there's some acclimation taking place - but it's awful in my eyes lol

And not because they aren't good players - the NBA clearly has supreme talent and size across the board - I just can't stand how the game looks when they play it - just trash to me

Conley will no doubt put up points, I know he can play - I just think in a league as wide open scoring and zero defense as the nba is, JWF could at least provide something - not starter material, doesn't have the size, but he certainly could come off the bench for a few shots

But I agree, he most likely will have a very tough time getting that opp unfortunately
We'll see. Guys struggle, injuries occur. You never know when or how an opportunity comes. He just has to stay ready and make the most of it if/when it does.

On the NBA vs. college I like both and watch both often, but I have always liked the college game better because it's often more of a team game vs. the 1-on-1, ISO stuff we often see in the NBA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:So it looks like the Salt Lake City Stars (G league) will be somewhat of a CAA reunion. Not only do they have JWF and J Brantley, but thier roster also lists Shawn Occeus (from Northeastern). Small world.
Three now? How can this possibly be? Didn't we often hear last year that if you don't make noise in the NCAAT, you have basically no shot at the NBA? :lol:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Three now? How can this possibly be? Didn't we often hear last year that if you don't make noise in the NCAAT, you have basically no shot at the NBA? :lol:
That certainly sounds familiar!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Both Occeus and Brantley played in the NCAA tournament.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly cactus. And easy Wags, the G league ain't exactly making it.

Not sure if that was a comment to me, but either way I stand by every point I made last year. Making the dance makes a HUGE difference. And 2 of the 3 did. The 3rd was questionable to make it, but certainly earned his place through absolutely stellar top of the NCAA offensive production. It took that to overcome failing to finish the job and cut nets.

This is not a question for debate. Making, and even better performing, in the NCAAT does wonders for both individual and program stock. Period.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Both Occeus and Brantley played in the NCAA tournament.
Read again. I said making noise in the NCAAT, not simply playing in it (well aware that they both did).
Last edited by Wags on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Exactly cactus. And easy Wags, the G league ain't exactly making it.

Not sure if that was a comment to me, but either way I stand by every point I made last year. Making the dance makes a HUGE difference. And 2 of the 3 did. The 3rd was questionable to make it, but certainly earned his place through absolutely stellar top of the NCAA offensive production. It took that to overcome failing to finish the job and cut nets.

This is not a question for debate. Making, and even better performing, in the NCAAT does wonders for both individual and program stock. Period.
And yet, Brantley and JWF, who failed to make the NCAAT last year, were both drafted within three picks by the same team in the second round and both are on the Jazz roster, not their G-League affiliate, right now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

But Brantley DID play in it though. Only JWF did not. And he was one of the best scorers in the entire collegiate landscape for 2 straight yrs just to give himself any chance. I’m not sure Brantley was even the best big in the league - very good, but not like JWF being clearly the best scoring guard by far.

Not sure what the point here is though... Are you trying to make the case the NCAAT doesn’t make a huge impact for mid major players chances of being drafted?

Had JWF Lead HU to the dance he would’ve been higher IMO. And if he would’ve shown out in it, he would’ve been a LOCK for that.

Can’t prove any of this of course, just my take :D
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:But Brantley DID play in it though. Only JWF did not. And he was one of the best scorers in the entire collegiate landscape for 2 straight yrs just to give himself any chance. I’m not sure Brantley was even the best big in the league - very good, but not like JWF being clearly the best scoring guard by far.

Not sure what the point here is though... Are you trying to make the case the NCAAT doesn’t make a huge impact for mid major players chances of being drafted?

Had JWF Lead HU to the dance he would’ve been higher IMO. And if he would’ve shown out in it, he would’ve been a LOCK for that.

Can’t prove any of this of course, just my take :D
Brantley didn't play in it last year though, before the draft. And if the argument is that he played in it at all and JWF didn't, well what did that matter? They're Jazz teammates now. I'm not denying that it helps, or that even a good conference tourney helps - Johnny Flynn was drafted ahead of Steph Curry because he had a great Big East tourney. But seeing JWF and Brantley as Jazz teammates (along with many other examples) show the NCAAT is not the be all and end all of whether mids get drafted and make an NBA roster or not. There are multiple different avenues depending on the player and NBA teams' needs.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JWF made his g-league debut in the season opener for the Salt Lake City Stars. They lost, but JWF was by far the top performer. 17 points (most on the team) on 7-14 shooting, including 3-5 3s. Also had 4 assists. His +/- differential was +8, only 3 on the Stars had a +, one of the others being Brantley, and both the other 2 were only at +1

Here are some highlights: https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/1 ... 4654205952
Wags

Post by Wags »

He has a new profile pic after that game that looks great:
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/status/ ... 3619059712

And another that, he has a really cool perspective of The Mack floor at the top of his page:
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/with_replies
Wags

Post by Wags »

JWF's second G-League game, and he's already putting up numbers like he did at Hofstra:

32 pts | 10/22 fg | 4/8 3pt fg | 4/4 ft

https://www.espn.com/nba-g-league/boxsc ... =401164665
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:JWF's second G-League game, and he's already putting up numbers like he did at Hofstra:

32 pts | 10/22 fg | 4/8 3pt fg | 4/4 ft

https://www.espn.com/nba-g-league/boxsc ... =401164665
Also note that in 32 minutes he had 0(zero) assists and they lost. Not sure why that is I guess not playing the point??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Awesome glad they added him!!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hofstra should make copies of the poster on the right (NBAers Charles, Speedy and Justin) and give them away at one of the games.