MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:Was told a month ago, reported here that Burgess told the staff he was coming but wanted to wait until signing day, which I believe is April 14...have notheard anything otherwise since.
Spring signing date April 17th...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Was told a month ago, reported here that Burgess told the staff he was coming but wanted to wait until signing day, which I believe is April 14...have notheard anything otherwise since.
Spring signing date April 17th...
Eight days and counting!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

HUSID74 wrote:We would have been in the top 4-5 in the A10 last year...it was also a down year for that League....difference is the A10 usually gets at least two bids in the Dance so if we had a similar performance, losing in the championship game after winning the regular season we would have danced.

Having said that we would need to raise our commitment level in basketball and many other sports as well...not sure it would be done. On the other hand the A10 could use a much stronger program in NY. Fordham is a joke and should not be in that League, they should go back to the Patriot which would be perfect for them.

We have much better facilities, bring a strong geographic area, Long Island as well as New York and we have a better track record of success.

I so totally disagree with this. The A-10 is much tougher and our record wouldn’t be the same. Also the A-10 was a 1 bid league this year until VCU got upset, otherwise they were the only team going. Heck Davidson had 24 wins and didn’t even make it If anything our chances would drop in that conference. I want no part of the A-10, Hof has to get an auto bid to make it, I can never invision a scenerio where would would ne good enough to get an at large in any conference. We were a 7 seed in the NIT and this was our best year in a really long time.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Here's a great way to know the likely standing on recruits: If no new offers come in for that year at that position, staff is feeling good. New offer for that class/position, and it's highly likely change is a comin. Not a guaranteed measure, but it's pretty daggone close. So far, so good. Although I still feel Knox is going bigger - but we'll see.

Quite frankly the fact that HU hasn't cut nets in this watered down CAA is enough to know they would likely do nothing of the sort in the A10. Now I would LOVE the move eventually though if it ever popped up, just not right now - and I'm sorry but not with this staff. 9 times out of 10 HU will be mid pack in a 14 team league that even in it's down year is still a bit ahead of this current poor mans version of the once powerful CAA. Heck NU and CofC wouldn't win that league either. Compete YES, but that's actually not the goal even though it's all we hear every year (one of the reasons why they don't actually win it). The goal is to finish the damn job. Every team 'competes' in these kind of leagues. That isn't enough. It takes another gear that I just don't think this group has.

The fellas put up a helluva fight against VCU (1 game) - played its guts out with the best HU team in decades and the top 2-3 player in program history, against a VCU team that still hadn't quite found it's footing...yet still didn't win. HU has had a couple of decent wins, FSU, Dayton, but they are so rare that it's clear HU would need to take the next step in staffing, roster, money, commitment, and support in order to truly succeed there. Add in the reality of HU's last dance we know, but even worse for our hopes is JM's last NCAA appearance was *12* years ago folks - 2006-07. Not exciting odds here.

Now give me a staff like what UB put together to pull themselves out of the HUGE trap of being good / mediocrity and into being GREAT / the national spotlight, and hell yes give me HU in the A10 all day. And if a friggin SUNY school can do it, then yes I absolutely feel HU should be able to - with the right AD vision and commitment to make the ballsy moves. Which I have not seen thus far.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Frankie Porcelli, a 6’7” SF who played at LuHi, just announced he’s transferring from Dayton. This is a kid we should be all over...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/d ... N/amp.html
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU87 wrote:Frankie Porcelli, a 6’7” SF who played at LuHi, just announced he’s transferring from Dayton. This is a kid we should be all over...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/d ... N/amp.html
Could be a plus here and was recruited by Syracuse so I'm not so sure he would be willing to play in the CAA although could be a star in this league. We already have two red shirts this year so I think the focus is to get kids that can contribute right away IMO.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hofstra recruited this kid out of HS...he can play the 3 and the 4...would hate to have 3 kids redshirting next season but there are always exceptions...if this kid is good enough and he is seriously considering Hofstra he would be one of the exceptions...would love to know what our staff thinks of this kid
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:We would have been in the top 4-5 in the A10 last year...it was also a down year for that League....difference is the A10 usually gets at least two bids in the Dance so if we had a similar performance, losing in the championship game after winning the regular season we would have danced.

Having said that we would need to raise our commitment level in basketball and many other sports as well...not sure it would be done. On the other hand the A10 could use a much stronger program in NY. Fordham is a joke and should not be in that League, they should go back to the Patriot which would be perfect for them.

We have much better facilities, bring a strong geographic area, Long Island as well as New York and we have a better track record of success.

I so totally disagree with this. The A-10 is much tougher and our record wouldn’t be the same. Also the A-10 was a 1 bid league this year until VCU got upset, otherwise they were the only team going. Heck Davidson had 24 wins and didn’t even make it If anything our chances would drop in that conference. I want no part of the A-10, Hof has to get an auto bid to make it, I can never invision a scenerio where would would ne good enough to get an at large in any conference. We were a 7 seed in the NIT and this was our best year in a really long time.
I never said we'd have the same record, I said we'd be in the top four...check out the Sagarin Ratings, they bear me out...much rather be in the A10...always MULTI-BIDS even in a down year!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We have nade overtures to the A-10 for the last decade Rabinowitz even begged someone to try and get us in Back in the day he tried a power play on then commisioner Linda Bruno and it failed So guys this is a pipe dream at best Rabinowitz implimented the 1 mil exit fee We are here to stay in the CAA
bean-pie

MBB Recruits 2019

Post by bean-pie »

Considering we could/should have beat VCU, I have zero issue imaging this past team in the top 4 of last seasons A-10. If we ever had the opportunity to jump conferences and didn’t, that would be a blow to the program. A-10 by default generates more fan Interest, plain and simple.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I don't want to be in the A-10, we would be in the bottom tier with our facilities, and we would have the lowest clout in the league. Ok great, we would perform better than Fordham. They've had one winning season in conference play since they joined in 1996, they're an embarrassment and should be kicked out of the league.

We haven't won the CAA in almost 20 years, can we do that first?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Any chance at Nate Tabor?
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:I don't want to be in the A-10, we would be in the bottom tier with our facilities, and we would have the lowest clout in the league. Ok great, we would perform better than Fordham. They've had one winning season in conference play since they joined in 1996, they're an embarrassment and should be kicked out of the league.

we don’t stand a chance getting into A10 until we win CAA, not just once, but multiple times.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:

I never said we'd have the same record, I said we'd be in the top four...check out the Sagarin Ratings, they bear me out...much rather be in the A10...always MULTI-BIDS even in a down year!

But the A-10 was a one bid league this year. It took a major upset for a second team to get in so obviously being in the “top 4” wouldn’t get us anywhere. With the CAA getting weaker by the year I’d think we have a better shot staying where we are.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Johnnie Dawkins has a few kids looking to leave UCF
T. Allen (son of HU star in the 80's L. Allen) and former Drexel PG -
M. Douglas - 6'7" SF, Maryland native and Hofstra recruit
Captain

Post by Captain »

garyg wrote:Getting a little concerned with no news on Burguess and Knox...SID any news ??
I looked at Burgess' twitter (visible on verbal commits) and he says that he will announce this Saturday at 3pm I believe.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Thanks Captain...hopefully it will be good news !!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

bean-pie wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:I don't want to be in the A-10, we would be in the bottom tier with our facilities, and we would have the lowest clout in the league. Ok great, we would perform better than Fordham. They've had one winning season in conference play since they joined in 1996, they're an embarrassment and should be kicked out of the league.

we don’t stand a chance getting into A10 until we win CAA, not just once, but multiple times.
Has nothing to do with win ing the caa....Fordham leaves, we make a strong commitment to program. A10 needs a better ny market presence.
bean-pie

Post by bean-pie »

What did VCU, George Mason and Davidson have in common? Unless we’re winning, we ain’t gonna be invited.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

First of all the conference discussion should have its own thread, secondly, does winning 20-plus games four out of the last five years constitute winning?

Fact is, no one is going to the A-10 unless someone leaves and the most likely candidate is Fordham...If that happens, we should be all over the opportunity...go after it with everything.

We are a much better fit than Fordham; facilities, access to a large area, winning, etc...