MBB Game 2 at Marshall on November 11, 2018 at 2:30 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Game 2 at Marshall on November 11, 2018 at 2:30 P.M.

Post by cactus »

Good effort and game, but too much one on one basketball resulting in forced shots down the stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Reason we lost 7 assts and 20 turnovers. MArshall at least had 13 assts and only 14 turnovers.
Cards

Post by Cards »

lose by 4.

Zero offensive ball movement. Very few picks. screens, give and go...…..just all one on one. Wow I hope this is not the plan for this season.

Looks to me like JT has no hands and DD is no offensive threat. We got a combined whopping 2 pts from the 5 spot. ST at the 4 added another whopping 3 pts. Thats 5 pts in 68 minutes from our bigs. Pitiful!

The lack of team ball on offense made me think I was watching and NBA D-league game.

Should have left the other 6 guys off he court and just played a 40 minute 2 on 2 game.

Game was exciting to watch, only because it was close.
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:Reason we lost 7 assts and 20 turnovers. MArshall at least had 13 assts and only 14 turnovers.
No assists to be had when its all one on one!

And one last tidbit, JWF and EP combined to outrebound ST, JT, and DD. :(
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Got nothing from our front line. Taylor is playing very timid. Looks like he is playing not to get hurt. No fire in the belly.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Buie's missing the first of a 1-and-1 with 2:37 left, Trueheart making 1 out of 2 free throws with 1:00 left, and Pemberton charge to foul out with 10 seconds left prevented a comeback. Pemberton had 19 on great field goal shooting and a career-high 12 rebounds. He made only 1 out of 3 free throws, and he had 5 turnovers and 5 fouls. Last season no Hofstra player had at least 5 turnovers and 5 fouls. I'm not going to check before last season because I can't find that out quickly. Ray had a bad game with 2-for-9 shooting. 54 of Hofstra's 60 field goal attempts were by guards. Taylor had 1 rebound, 4 turnovers, and did not attempt a field goal. Dwyer led Hofstra with 2 assists. What odds could you have gotten on that? Hofstra's shooting percentages for the game were okay, but 20 turnovers were costly. We had 7 assists for a ratio of 0.35, which was our worst ratio since we had 4 assists and 15 turnovers in a 70-69 win at UNCW on February 25, 2016. In that game, we trailed by 18 and were down 7 before Green made a three with 1:27 left. It was our worst ratio in a loss since we had 5 assists and 22 turnovers in a 61-43 loss at Georgia State on February 13, 2013. Marshall shot three-pointers poorly but shot two-pointers great. Burks and Elmore combined to make 15 out of 25 two-pointers. Hofstra did not commit their first foul of the second half until there was 8:36 left. Elmore had 30 points, 2 three-pointers, 8 free throws, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 5 turnovers, and 3 fouls. It was the first time since at least 2010-2011 that a player had at least that many of all of those statistics.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

Not a bad game from Hofstra, going on the road in just 48 hours to play what (I read earlier on this thread) is the 6th best team outside of the Power 6 conferences? Pretty impressive. I wanted to say this earlier but I've been busy, I really think they should give Matija Radovic a start. A long wing who can shoot? Any offense from the 4 is something I'm alright with. I've never been high on Trueheart but I guess seeing him play for a while might not be the worst thing. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. But I never thought Radovic got a fair shake. He had a very impressive pedigree before coming to Hofstra, and I think he just didn't shoot well enough for the coaches to like him, even though he shot the three ball significantly better than JWF did his freshman year. We'll see. Again though, not a bad loss and I think we can rebound against AT&T. It's going to be rough getting the big men to step up this year though.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Cards wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Reason we lost 7 assts and 20 turnovers. MArshall at least had 13 assts and only 14 turnovers.
No assists to be had when its all one on one!

And one last tidbit, JWF and EP combined to outrebound ST, JT, and DD. :(
but dwyer led the team in assists. with 2.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They have to work with Taylor. If he is going to get major minutes in the post he cannot have hands like Kenny(HANDS OF STONE) Adeleke.
garyg

Post by garyg »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:Not a bad game from Hofstra, going on the road in just 48 hours to play what (I read earlier on this thread) is the 6th best team outside of the Power 6 conferences? Pretty impressive. I wanted to say this earlier but I've been busy, I really think they should give Matija Radovic a start. A long wing who can shoot? Any offense from the 4 is something I'm alright with. I've never been high on Trueheart but I guess seeing him play for a while might not be the worst thing. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. But I never thought Radovic got a fair shake. He had a very impressive pedigree before coming to Hofstra, and I think he just didn't shoot well enough for the coaches to like him, even though he shot the three ball significantly better than JWF did his freshman year. We'll see. Again though, not a bad loss and I think we can rebound against AT&T. It's going to be rough getting the big men to step up this year though.
Agree with you on Radovic...like to see coaches get him some minutes at the 4 & the 3...came to program highly regarded and as freshman got off to slow start...might be what the doctor ordered
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:They have to work with Taylor. If he is going to get major minutes in the post he cannot have hands like Kenny(HANDS OF STONE) Adeleke.
The guy has not played meaningful minutes in two years...Give him a break! I seem to remember another guy who did quite well for us with bad hands...national rebounding champ John Irving.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:They have to work with Taylor. If he is going to get major minutes in the post he cannot have hands like Kenny(HANDS OF STONE) Adeleke.
The guy has not played meaningful minutes in two years...Give him a break! I seem to remember another guy who did quite well for us with bad hands...national rebounding champ John Irving.

You may be right HUSID - time will tell. What I am not so happy about is in two games, neither JT or DD has taken any shots longer than layups. I thought both of these guys were supposed to have some inside game and/or some game from 10-15 ft from the basket? So far, and I know its only been two games, we have not even seen an indication that they will be involved in the offense other than for picks and layups/dunks. We need them to show some offense to keep opponents defense honest. Otherwise, opponents will comfortably hang out on the perimeter and give our guards fits. How hard is it to teach JT/DD to run the old Rok pick and roll??
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am a big fan of Radovic but the problem is he plays more like a guard and we have plenty of guards already. Trueheart is better at rebounding and playing in the paint than Radovic and that is what we need from the 4 spot. After the MSM game Mihalich came into the pride lounge to speak and one of the things he said is Radovic will get his minutes; he also alluded to maybe a minor injury he is dealing with.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:

You may be right HUSID - time will tell. What I am not so happy about is in two games, neither JT or DD has taken any shots longer than layups. I thought both of these guys were supposed to have some inside game and/or some game from 10-15 ft from the basket? So far, and I know its only been two games, we have not even seen an indication that they will be involved in the offense other than for picks and layups/dunks. We need them to show some offense to keep opponents defense honest. Otherwise, opponents will comfortably hang out on the perimeter and give our guards fits. How hard is it to teach JT/DD to run the old Rok pick and roll??
One, some or all of our bigs better be able to catch a little dump off pass from a slashing Buie, JFW and Pemperton - from what i saw Friday night both JT and DD (thought ST did too) have a nice touch from the stripe.

That said - they cant just foul our big - like last year - and not pay. A big that can finish is going to be important to Buie entire game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote: I am a big fan of Radovic but the problem is he plays more like a guard and we have plenty of guards already. Trueheart is better at rebounding and playing in the paint than Radovic and that is what we need from the 4 spot. After the MSM game Mihalich came into the pride lounge to speak and one of the things he said is Radovic will get his minutes; he also alluded to maybe a minor injury he is dealing with.
I'm not saying Radovic is good in the paint, but his rebounds per 30 minutes last season was 5.29 and Trueheart's was 5.36. 80 percent of Radovic's field goal attempts were threes, but he was a much better rebounder than Bernardi and Sestokas who shot mostly threes. Furthermore, in a small 2 game sample Pemberton is averaging 9 rebounds and JWF is averaging 6.5, which could make rebounds from Trueheart less important. Trueheart is averaging 6.5 rebounds and 1 block, but has shot poorly.