Men's Basketball Banquet 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
G24

Men's Basketball Banquet 2018

Post by G24 »

I don't post here much but I wanted to briefly thank Hofstra for the great event they put on tonight at the Garden City Country Club. This was my first time attending the banquet and I'm glad I finally made it. (Shout out to Shaun Rutherford for convincing me to go!)

After an open bar and dinner and dessert, Joe Mihalich spoke about the passing of Zeke Upshaw and what he meant and continues to mean for the program. There was a video presentation followed by a moment of silence. Very touching.

The coaching staff handed out awards to individual players, who then gave brief speeches. Having seen these guys on the court all these years, it was nice to actually hear from them and getting to see them being gracious and humble. This team really is a brotherhood. We got to hear lots of appreciation for outgoing athletic director Jeff Hathaway and he spoke at length about how proud he is of the Hofstra program. And we were treated to a bit of inside news that will probably be announced shortly.

It really was a special night and a nice way to end the season. The team was genuinely thankful for everyone's support and it was full of fun moments. It made me feel proud to be a season ticket holder of this team and a member of the Pride Club. I'm sorry for having missed out on these in the past but I plan to be a regular in the years ahead. Thank you, Hofstra!
stuball888

Re: Men's Basketball Banquet 2018

Post by stuball888 »

G24 no mention of Rabinowitz. Was he there
G24

Post by G24 »

stuball888 wrote:G24 no mention of Rabinowitz. Was he there
He was not there, though Hathaway thanked him.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Sorry I missed the dinner...I'm in Fla, which given the NY weather is not a bad thing.

What's the inside news...may I ask?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does anyone find it strange that Rabinowitz isn’t anywhere near an athletic event or award dinner. And this is someone who values athletics? does anyone think things are going to change when Rick Cole gets here. He will be like his two former ADs. He will be neutered by Rabinowitz
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

G24 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:G24 no mention of Rabinowitz. Was he there
He was not there, though Hathaway thanked him.
Did he thank him for not showing up??? LOL
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Triple love your sense of humor does anyone knowing Rick Cole was in attendance
G24

Post by G24 »

It was a nice evening and I was trying to thank them for putting that on for the team and fans, Stu. Please don't turn this into a rant. Thank you.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

G24 wrote:It was a nice evening and I was trying to thank them for putting that on for the team and fans, Stu. Please don't turn this into a rant. Thank you.
Rabinowitz cares more about the 12000 other students than the 12 on the basketball team...go figure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not turning it into a rant. Just saying don’t expect more from Rick because Rabinowitz still holds the final day in things. Look I have nothing against Rabinowitz on the academic side if things. He has a done a tremendous job fund raising plus the medical and engineering school. Still on the athletic side he has much to be desired. That’s all. Those that think things will be that much different are in for s disappointment
G24

Post by G24 »

I wasn't posting about Cole. I wasn't posting about Rabinowitz. I'm sorry you felt the need to hijack my appreciation for what Hofstra did for us last night. (I'll note that Cole and Rabinowitz attended the event just as much as you did.)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This was the first dinner I have missed since 2001. If it wasn’t for family emergency of my sister in law I would have been there. Sorry about hijackingvthe thread. I am appreciative of what Hofstra does for the the student athletes but so does every other D-1 school.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Inside news is always intriguing! Hope it comes out soon and it's actually something exciting.

Thanks for posting G24. Obviously you are some kind of HU admin supporter, but I appreciate your post, and agree it's a great event, so I'll refrain from giving my thoughts on the other stuff :)

Joeg1 - what's your deal?? Have you forgotten this is an ATHLETICS FAN forum? Whats with all downplaying of HU sports support?? And all the Rab love and agreement with any bias against HU sports? You guys boys all of a sudden or something? Fine if you are but just say so so we understand what the hell is up with you.

You love academics, cool, great, congrats lol - nothing wrong with that, but go find an academic forum to post that stuff on.

This place is predominantly for support of the athletic Dept - not solely of course, but that's the primary purpose here - take your athletic bashing somewhere else please. It really makes no sense here.
G24

Post by G24 »

Polito wrote:Thanks for posting G24. Obviously you are some kind of HU admin supporter, but I appreciate your post, and agree it's a great event, so I'll refrain from giving my thoughts on the other stuff :)
Thanks for the kind words, but I take exception to your labeling of me. All I did was ask that this not become an airing of grievances. This thread has nothing to do with the administration. Since Stu has been going to this event 17 years in a row, it seems he knew the answer to the question before he asked.

It was a very nice event. I'm sorry you missed it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito wrote:Inside news is always intriguing! Hope it comes out soon and it's actually something exciting.

Thanks for posting G24. Obviously you are some kind of HU admin supporter, but I appreciate your post, and agree it's a great event, so I'll refrain from giving my thoughts on the other stuff :)

Joeg1 - what's your deal?? Have you forgotten this is an ATHLETICS FAN forum? Whats with all downplaying of HU sports support?? And all the Rab love and agreement with any bias against HU sports? You guys boys all of a sudden or something? Fine if you are but just say so so we understand what the hell is up with you.

You love academics, cool, great, congrats lol - nothing wrong with that, but go find an academic forum to post that stuff on.

This place is predominantly for support of the athletic Dept - not solely of course, but that's the primary purpose here - take your athletic bashing somewhere else please. It really makes no sense here.
Calm down, Polito. Other people have opinions, too.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Have to side with G24 here. Anyone who reads these boards on even a semi-consistent basis knows where Stu and Polito stand on all things Hofstra. It gets repetitious. No need to add it to every thread on the board. G24 wanted to point something out and it ended up in the same place most of these threads do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Again my apologies to all I have offended.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Pride97 wrote:Have to side with G24 here. Anyone who reads these boards on even a semi-consistent basis knows where Stu and Polito stand on all things Hofstra. It gets repetitious. No need to add it to every thread on the board. G24 wanted to point something out and it ended up in the same place most of these threads do.
This is why we can't have nice things.
Polito

Post by Polito »

No offense meant G24, we've had our share of HU shill stuff over the years, so I'm a bit on guard for it lol :D - all good, like I said, glad it was a great event, and appreciate your post and positive recap.

And on your end there's no need for the passive aggressive comments throwing shade at anyone who didn't attend. You have no clue about peoples situations, their lives, what people do or don't, and most importantly the reasons why. Respect to you, glad you are here, and I hope you stick around. Truce.

Calm down, Polito. Other people have opinions, too.
Response to an opinion. Genius. I'm quite calm, just sticking up for HU athletics, and will continue to do so. Stick to the lax staff support - seems to be going well.

Funny that it's cool for joeg to hijack threads bashing any notion that athletics should have some priority on a SPORTS forum and claim that Rab is one of the greatest HU presidents ever, but *I* get smacked for challenging that... some never cease to amaze me.

Pride97, I thought we were cool??? You part of my 'fan club'?! I'm sure they would gladly accept new applicants! :D

Stu, hope that was TIC, you have nothing to apologize for. You have every right to your opinion as they do theirs. It's amazing some fail to see the irony in their constant harping on it -->> bashing certain posters opinions only to support others rights to have opinions! :lol: :lol:
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

STOP HIJACKING THE THREAD. Just start a new one and comment there. This was great stuff g24. sounds like it was an awesome night. did they talk about rokas and where he might play next year or the schedule?