CAA Playoffs - Game 1 vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: CAA Playoffs - Game 1 vs UNCW

Post by Dooku25 »

Wags wrote:
The Shadow wrote:To Wags, I am in favor of your idea to expand the NIT. If I am not mistaken, I recall that HU was part of a 40 member NIT field. I think it was the Nebraska, St. Joe's, ODU year.
That's correct, in 2006.
Hofstra was making the NIT that year even if the NIT had the 32 team field.. HU's RPI was 30. They were a legit NCAA snub, no chance the NIT would have snubbed them.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Dooku25 wrote:
Wags wrote:
The Shadow wrote:To Wags, I am in favor of your idea to expand the NIT. If I am not mistaken, I recall that HU was part of a 40 member NIT field. I think it was the Nebraska, St. Joe's, ODU year.
That's correct, in 2006.
Hofstra was making the NIT that year even if the NIT had the 32 team field.. HU's RPI was 30. They were a legit NCAA snub, no chance the NIT would have snubbed them.
You are correct Dooku - should've been a 2 bid year for the CAA
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Cards wrote: You are correct Dooku - should've been a 2 bid year for the CAA
It actually was a 2 bid year (UNCW, G Mason).. it should have been a 3 bid year. The argument was always why Mason over Hofstra when Hofstra beat them twice but I'm still appalled that Air Force got an at large over us. Go look at their resume. They had no business making the tournament over HU.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:
Cards wrote: You are correct Dooku - should've been a 2 bid year for the CAA
It actually was a 2 bid year (UNCW, G Mason).. it should have been a 3 bid year. The argument was always why Mason over Hofstra when Hofstra beat them twice but I'm still appalled that Air Force got an at large over us. Go look at their resume. They had no business making the tournament over HU.
Yup, Air Force... and Utah State. They each had RPIs in the 60s, I think. Those are the two that I still point to more than Mason.

Mason also had its AD on the committee, which might've helped, but they were also a co-regular season champ with UNCW, each 15-3. Hofstra was third, at 14-4. Had Hofstra won one more regular season conference game, that might have done it.

Regardless, Hofstra and Missouri State (with an RPI of 21, still the worst snub ever based on RPI) should've definitely been in over Air Force and Utah State.

Utah State's selection might've been a makeup for snubbing them two years earlier, when they were 24-3 (yes, THREE! And nationally ranked!).
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

nice post on the mbb twitter account for rokas.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUclassof19 wrote:nice post on the mbb twitter account for rokas.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 0568309760

And, from Rok:
https://twitter.com/GustysRokas/status/ ... 0745597952
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Very Classy post form the ROK. He will be missed. Nice to hear that he has his masters degree as several players have gotten their advanced degree after playing basketball for hofstra.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for the post Wags and for sure we will miss him big time!! He writes from the heart.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for linking Wags..

DAMN - wanted him and this team to win SO badly it physically hurts. That's why the passion comes out so aggressively.

These are such quality young men, just can't not root for them. Best of luck in the next chapter of your life Rok!!