MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraFan101

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by HofstraFan101 »

have news that Austin Burnette a Rutgers decommit has been getting heavy interest. Coach Nichols is visiting him next week and Burnette may be visiting soon. Would be a great get for us as he plays the 3/4 and is a mid- high major recruit.
Last edited by HofstraFan101 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Welcome HF101

I checked out video on Burnette - lean and lanky (but hes a only young kid) - nice soft shot (did not see any jumpers from 3, makes me think that in a highlight video they would show "3's" if he had the shot). He can handle the ball fairly well. Pretty good leaper. He looks like a young kid with definate potential that I could envision developing into a contributer. He does not look like a stud that's going to have an impact right away. Obviously, a three minute video doesnt tell the entire story on this kid, but if JAM is going after him, I trust his judgement.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

https://twitter.com/garnerroad/status/5 ... 0643889152

Dwayne West
‏@garnerroad
Hofstra and Austin Burnette - the Garner Road Elite Forward is becoming a hot commodity!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

A one-star recruit? I'd like to think we can do better than that:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... n-burnette

If we make it to the NCAA Tournament, we will have more higher-rated recruits to chose from in the spring signing period.
Polito

Post by Polito »

welcome aboard HF101, and thanks for the insight!! Been trying to get some inside scoop on the next potential recruits, this is helpful!

This kid is a bit of a wild card - love that he was a BCS conf recruit, but only other offers from charlotte, kennesaw st, western carolina, maybe 1-2 other smaller guys - think he would be a bit over his head in B10, but could be a sleeper for HU

Good:
great size for the 3/4 position - can create lot of mismatches
athletic, can attack the basket
great mid range shot
creates his own space/shot
can handle the rock and dish assists
can rebound
plays on a good team with a few D1 guys, including NC top 10 committed to BC
reads to be a great all around kid, which is very important to the HU program

Bad:
Unsure of competition level
No real 3 threat from what I can see - perhaps there but developing?
2-3 star at best so far
Not a lot of insight to his D ability

I do think HU can do better, esp with a strong yr, however, not every player is going to be a stud coming in, need a quality bench too - there is such thing as player development, and JM has proven to me that he has the ability to get the absolute best out of his players - I trust the staff - I can see the upside to this kid, even if he's off the bench - he has some questions for sure, but we'll see if it's a serious pursuit on HU's part...

either way, I want them to continue going after high level guys who can come in and start or make an immediate impact
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

I think the one star is a little outdated. 247 sports puts him as a 3 star. From his highlights he seems to have a great mid range game but seems to lack explosiveness. I think with a little conditioning he could be a great player. Also he has offers from Rhode Island and Minnesota. Will let you guys now if I hear anything else on him or other players
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

What is his hometown.. could go a long way in where he chooses his next home.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

He's from Raleigh,Nc but he's already committed to a NE school in the past so I'm not sure if it will make a difference
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This coaching staff knows what it wants in players. Fast athletic, versatile and high character. If we are going after him hard I trust that he will be a great fit! Keep 'em coming! Next up a 6-9 power forward who can run and jump!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra is visiting 2015 F Malik Constantine tonight. https://twitter.com/Justinbyerly/status ... 7098162176
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maliks stats thru 6 games 18.5 PPG
3.0 Assts PG
9.0 RPG
4.2 STL PG
1.7 Blocks PG
He fills up the stat sheet. You can watch highlites at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=373UYDrJjU4
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Having trouble with the link.
Polito

Post by Polito »

clearly the staff is making some moves in the NC area this week - both players are a bit unknown, but have huge potential - based on what I've seen from this staff, I trust them fully to find the right fits that they can develop into impact players, so I'm not overly concerned with finding a diamond in the rough or 2...

Both players are similar so I would imagine they would take 1 over the other...no idea which at this point

For Burnette, he committed VERY early, which likely impacted recruiting assessments - 3* on 247 and Future 150 - not saying that's the end story, but find it hard to believe he's only a 1, almost no D1 player is a 1, so ESPN likely just hasn't updated him - plus he's been offered by Rutgers, URI, Charlotte, and prob Minnesota - that's not bad

coaches prob like 2 main things: versatility (perfect size to play multiple roles/matchup nightmare) and scoring (his shot is automatic in his range, and he can slash/attack the basket with ease) - he plays for a very strong program that has consistently produced D1 talent, including his teammate who's top 10 in NC going to BC - I could see him developing into a very strong player under this staff

for Constantine, he's of a similar mold from what I can tell, although it's been tough to find a lot of detail - lighting up the stats recently, seen height anywhere from 6'5-6'7, so assuming he can play multiple spots, seems to be able to score, rebound, and play D, but just can't find enough to confirm...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Having trouble with the link.
I fixed the link in the post, try again
Polito

Post by Polito »

All I know is this staff best be recruiting their tails off in the post - this team needs BIGS in the worst way - and Djambo is not enough - losing Kone next yr so it's a net 0 - they need 2 more big guys in the '15 class, period.

No one less than 6'6 - really need 6'7-6'9... and TWO of them.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Totally agree...we are getting ABUSED inside right now without Rokas, Moussa limited and Walker real GREEN.
Polito

Post by Polito »

By the way, Buie and Wright-Foreman are ripping it up - these kids are potential major STARS for HU

Buie is averaging somewhere around 20 pts, 10 assists, 5 boards, 5 steals per game - Wings is 6-0, ranked #2 in NYC

Wright-Foreman I don't have his exact stats but most recaps I've been able to read he's been a major impact player, putting up around 20-25 pts - Construction is 11-0 (edit now 11-1) and ranked #5 in NYC
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:By the way, Buie and Wright-Foreman are ripping it up - these kids are potential major STARS for HU

Buie is averaging somewhere around 20 pts, 10 assists, 5 boards, 5 steals per game - Wings is 6-0, ranked #2 in NYC

Wright-Foreman I don't have his exact stats but most recaps I've been able to read he's been a major impact player, putting up around 20-25 pts - Construction is 11-0 (edit now 11-1) and ranked #5 in NYC
Wow. Those a nice numbers. Keep that pipeline full. Could be a great few years.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 1h1 hour ago
Hofstra has offered Wes Alcegaire (6'5/G/2015) of Daytona State.

Has decent stats at his JUCO. http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014 ... egairehcv6
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

His backcourt partner has better stats. His last name is Tanksley. I wonder if it is any relations.