MBB Game 03 - Stony Brook - 11/21/14, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB Game 03 - Stony Brook - 11/21/14, 7 PM

Post by stuball888 »

Game was a tale of two halves. First half 30-
25 SBU with a game destined in the 60s tops. The secod half we out score SBU 41-35 and game likened to an 80 point game which is in our favor. We attacked the basket in the second half. SBU badly outrebounded us 36-19 but we made that up with a turnovers and points off turnovers. This game of tempo favored us in the second half. I can see only NU giving us trouble with their experienced front line.
Difference this year was Nesmith was fresher down the stretch instead of being gassed. We now have 4 scoring options instead of two.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Both teams fell in love with their outside shots in the first half and had a lot of bad possessions. If Warney hadn't woken up in the second half, we could have run away with the game. As it was, we stole a victory at home.

Warney and Purifoy are both nice players. I was surprised that SBU outscored us in the first half with Purifoy on the bench in foul trouble. That tells you how bad we were.

We have two games in three days starting tomorrow, and the second is a long trip to USF. I hope we can give Green some rest and Gonzalez some playing time tomorrow.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo great video as always. Hofstra should hire you.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Big win, with some clutch shooting from Nesmith. Green and Nesmith willed this team to victory. Bernardi made a clutch shot but other than that, he has been non existent in two of the three games.

Tanksley's numbers look fine, but he is clearly still shaking off rust, he's a much better player than what he has shown so far, which I think is actually a good thing. There's a lot more to come.

Seems like I'm in the minority here on this one but I have not been blown away with Gustys. Don't get me wrong, he looks like he'll be a solid player but he needs a lot of work. I thought Warney exposed him last night. The 6 steals was not indicative of how he played defensively, and rings pretty hollow to me. When he didn't make those 6 steals, they were feeding it to Warney rather easily and Warney had a very easy time with him. Gustys got out rebounded 14-3 and that's by far and away where Gustys is most valuable at this point in his career. His D needs work and that shot is..... well, a ways off. I'm not disappointed, I think he's a fine player. He rebounds well (just not against Warney) and moves the ball well for a brand new freshman. I'm just not getting drunk off the kool aid yet.

2-1 is exactly where the team should be and they are still not playing up to their potential and have a lot of growth ahead of them. Very encouraging in my opinion.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

BBF remember he is still a true freshman put in this position because of the injury to Kone.Warney might be the best big man we will face this year. He had an offer from Iowa but came to SBU. So Rokas is doing just fine. It will be a learning process for Rokas.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

stuball888 wrote:BBF remember he is still a true freshman put in this position because of the injury to Kone.Warney might be the best big man we will face this year. He had an offer from Iowa but came to SBU. So Rokas is doing just fine. It will be a learning process for Rokas.
I'm not at all worried about him. I understand how difficult it is to come in as a true freshman, particularly as a center/forward.

I'm just not going to heap praise on him a day after he was absolutely whipped and owned by a superior player.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Seems like the outside/ 3 shooting has been pretty bad the past two games. While Hofstra did hit some big shots, especially late, that was a game that they have an early hold of if they make their shots when they should.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Give SBU credit in that they dictated the pace in the first half. at 30-25 it played into Pickell and SBUs hand. We picked up the pace in the second half and it was more to our liking. Like I said in the 60s (30-25) it favors SBU. In the 80s (41-35) it plays to us better. We won because we attacked the hoop in the second half.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here's the official game-winning highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7r6EkR ... e=youtu.be
Polito

Post by Polito »

I wasn't able to attend, but some thoughts:

I know its a work in progress but I expected better - the poor 1st half's need to be fixed - this game quite frankly should not have been close - it's a W and SBU is a good club so I'll take it... But no reason this should've been a last second victory

Not getting on any frosh, esp the bigs, there's clearly room for improvement but they have HUGE potential

Will get on Bernardi and Nichols - there is no excuse for those 2 not to have great games against SBU - know bernardi hit clutch couple of shots at end, but he's a Jr in Soph yr and here to put the ball in the hoop from deep, period - and Nichols has had 2 bad games as well - SBU had no one of experience to match with any wing/forward so he should've had a big game - bit disappointed, they need to get it together and be consistent scoring options

Very pleased to see they shut down Purifoy - that was on of my keys, and even allowing Warner to get his stats HU should've been able to mow them down - 25pts first half? Ia game shouldve seen HU in 70-80's easy

If Kone is out a while and Bernardi and Nichols keep playing subpar, my prognosis for this team will change a bit - post needs Kones experience BIG time - and this team needs to shoot better right from get-go - Wagner should be a 20 PT win, but we'll see...

I do agree though, this team is still growing and has BIG potential - type of team that could peak at the right time (end of season) - that is still very exciting!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh and I will say the video is great! Crowd looked very spirited, those who there raved about the great game and treated it like a big game - believe the attendance totals will grow in time - glad to see the teams playing again, and that it seems to be a real rivalry 8-)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Wagner should be a 20 PT win, but we'll see...
You were close.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Polito wrote:Oh and I will say the video is great! Crowd looked very spirited, those who there raved about the great game and treated it like a big game - believe the attendance totals will grow in time - glad to see the teams playing again, and that it seems to be a real rivalry 8-)
Winning solves a lot of that- especially with the students. These wins mean a lot. Would love to show recruits not only a full house, but more importantly a packed student section. This HAS to get people to come to Hofstra! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uT_wn4juybI/T ... C03624.JPG
LaxPhan

Post by LaxPhan »

Tough to get students on a Friday night but the turnout wasn't too bad and the students present seemed to have a great time. The atmoshpere was really good. Be great to see better turnout, I hope as the team continues to improve students will come out to support them. They deserve it. Very exciting game.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

When is it a good time for the students? Sat games they're "hung over" Sunday they are not around, Friday NG????? I think that's a great time...go to the game have fun and party afterward...It's still early.
Then we move into exams, the holidays, winter break etc....I think we need a strong student showing but we need to reach out into the community more aggressively. Everyone I talk to who has come to a game, many with kids think its a GREAT experience, great facility, free parking, cheap tickets etc....We need to aggressively pursue the youth leagues and area communities....A couple of years ago we did a coupon program with Newsday....Bring the coupon and get tickets, discounted hot dog and soda....worked well...we need to do more!!!1
Polito

Post by Polito »

bottom line is everyone loves a winner - this program is overcoming yrs of mediocrity, a scandal, coaching change, player change, conf change, etc. lol

just keep winning, get the attention of the regional media, and things will improve - I think the students have been great so far, all things considered

would def like to see more of the community out in force - it is a great atmosphere and one of the cheaper fun things to do in the area, esp for a family!

again, winning cures all - the word is spreading, and it will spread like wildfire if these guys beat a bigger conf team and/or go out there and keep putting W's on the board

trust me, *1* return to the dance this yr with a squad that will return nearly every starter, and this program will gain some serious traction...
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Yeah, it's not the time of the games, it's making the thing to do again. For a while (again, starting with the St. John's game at the Arena) everyone wanted to go to games. But it's basically been one full class of students since Charles has been gone, so these kids don't know what the electric atmosphere was like. And for a school like Hofstra, where apathy is obviously a huuuuuge thing, it was electric. That student section was packed on the regular, and plenty of times it reached the upper deck. But sadly, all the sucking and scandal has zapped out all the good work that TP actually did in building that.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

First NJIT, now SBU. Kudos to the Seawolves on upsetting No. 13 Washington:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400593234

This makes our win over SBU even more impressive, right?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Def helps in that area...

However this friggin infuriates me about HU's lack of ability to produce a single quality OOC win - now you guys are seeing... it's BS they blew those games - not acceptable to me at all when we're seeing literally WEEKLY upsets from mid to low teams/programs knocking off big boys on THEIR floor

those losses are not going away for me until this team wins the CAA and earns their right to the dance
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito why are you talking SBU. Dont you know this is a Hofstra board. LOL! just busting your chops after all the grief I took earlier. That is why I root for the other local teams when we DONT PLAY them. It helps our RPI when we beat them.