MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU87

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by HU87 »

In my opinion, some more proven scoring from the 2/3 position would be ideal, and would most likely come from a grad transfer. We have a lot of talent at the 2/3, but it's young or unproven. I'd love a grad transfer who could come in and either start at the 3, or come off the bench at either position to give us 10 ppg. With Bernardi as our obvious starting 2, and our duo of speed at the 1, some stability on the offensive side at the 3 is a must, and Robinson/Greer still have a lot to prove on that end. A 6'4''/6'5'' scorer who is open to 15-20 mpg off the bench as an experienced leader on a winning team looking to dance-- should be a strong sales pitch.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito wrote:HU needs to roll out the total red carpet for Ford on the 8th - should be #1 priority right now - big time future in the blue and gold for that young man!!
Ford highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQN48fVgs4
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HU87 wrote:In my opinion, some more proven scoring from the 2/3 position would be ideal, and would most likely come from a grad transfer. We have a lot of talent at the 2/3, but it's young or unproven. I'd love a grad transfer who could come in and either start at the 3, or come off the bench at either position to give us 10 ppg. With Bernardi as our obvious starting 2, and our duo of speed at the 1, some stability on the offensive side at the 3 is a must, and Robinson/Greer still have a lot to prove on that end. A 6'4''/6'5'' scorer who is open to 15-20 mpg off the bench as an experienced leader on a winning team looking to dance-- should be a strong sales pitch.
He's only a freshman but that person could/should be Pemberton
Polito

Post by Polito »

Honestly, I'd love to see another PF, but with JM's style of play this team can never have enough guards that can score - I would be all for another CG type that can play 1-3 - It's prob the best way to go, and my feeling is that may be what happens -

I don't think, and don't want, BB playing entire games anymore - he needs help - and people can fight me on this all they want, but he lost it the 2nd half of the yr and I contend it's because the season wore on him - not saying he was tired, just worn - he was a total liability for most of the 2nd half of play - a sharp-shooter doesn't need to be out there for 30+, and he's not a complete enough player for that - HU needs another CG that can put the ball through the hoop from deep AND play real D to eat up about half the minutes - VERY interested in this need right now and who they are targeting

Thx Jojo - I'm well-versed in Mr. Ford's play, and he's a talent - here's a commercial he just did for IMG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQ-eyXl6D8

I REALLY hope he's still on to official tomorrow - this needs to be THE priority for HU right now - per Adam Finkelstein George Mason, Penn St, Richmond & Gulf Cost are in today to see him

I have felt, and still do, that UR is the biggest competition, they appear to be losing out on their other top guy(s), so I think they're in hot pursuit - if HU gets him on campus on the 8th, it will be big, and they need to throw everything plus the kitchen sink out there!!!

He's a future game-changer at the position IMO.

Outside of that, landing Simon would be tremendous for the future as well. Any word on potential visits for him or others??
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:I don't think, and don't want, BB playing entire games anymore - he needs help - and people can fight me on this all they want, but he lost it the 2nd half of the yr and I contend it's because the season wore on him - not saying he was tired, just worn - he was a total liability for most of the 2nd half of play - a sharp-shooter doesn't need to be out there for 30+, and he's not a complete enough player for that - HU needs another CG that can put the ball through the hoop from deep AND play real D to eat up about half the minutes - VERY interested in this need right now and who they are targeting

I think Justin Wright-Forman is the guy that will split time with Bernardi at the 2. You also have Greer, Robinson and Pemberton at the 3; so you could also play two of those at the same time. I think we definitely have the players to have a deep team at the guard spots but they are unproven players. I am all for bringing in the best players we can even if that ends up being a guard but I wouldn't say we have a need at the 2 right now. First priority is the 4 and then just bringing best available recruits.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Honestly, I'd love to see another PF, but with JM's style of play this team can never have enough guards that can score - I would be all for another CG type that can play 1-3 - It's prob the best way to go, and my feeling is that may be what happens -

I don't think, and don't want, BB playing entire games anymore - he needs help - and people can fight me on this all they want, but he lost it the 2nd half of the yr and I contend it's because the season wore on him - not saying he was tired, just worn - he was a total liability for most of the 2nd half of play - a sharp-shooter doesn't need to be out there for 30+, and he's not a complete enough player for that - HU needs another CG that can put the ball through the hoop from deep AND play real D to eat up about half the minutes - VERY interested in this need right now and who they are targeting

Thx Jojo - I'm well-versed in Mr. Ford's play, and he's a talent - here's a commercial he just did for IMG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQ-eyXl6D8

I REALLY hope he's still on to official tomorrow - this needs to be THE priority for HU right now - per Adam Finkelstein George Mason, Penn St, Richmond & Gulf Cost are in today to see him

I have felt, and still do, that UR is the biggest competition, they appear to be losing out on their other top guy(s), so I think they're in hot pursuit - if HU gets him on campus on the 8th, it will be big, and they need to throw everything plus the kitchen sink out there!!!

He's a future game-changer at the position IMO.

Outside of that, landing Simon would be tremendous for the future as well. Any word on potential visits for him or others??
my concern for BB is he cant really create his own opportunities - and with all of the scorers and versatility that we had with a core 5 last year and BB still struggled - and I don't think his game is going translate better for BB in 2016-17 then it with last years squad - I hope ia m wrong.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I agree with you guys on Bernardi...I would play him 22-25 minutes a game...he should not be logging 37-40 minutes a game
Polito

Post by Polito »

And Finkelstein follows that up and confirms Fords visit to HU this weekend! Whoohoo, I wasn't sure if it was definite!

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/sta ... 8098201601

This is a HUGE visit. MUST...GET...COMMIT!!! Show him the future at HU!!!

And you're right, almost forgot JWF is that guy to split time with BB, and I'm excited for it - love what BB brings to the table in certain spots, but not all game - it turns into a negative - best for him and HU to literally split time next season between him and JWF - believe they both and the team will be MUCH better off for it

Would love to know if Simon is planning to get on campus - pretty sure he's planning to stop by SJU, if he's in the area, would make sense to get him over to the Mack for a visit!
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is so bad how much I am freaking out right now... LOL

I feel like I want hourly updates this weekend from the visit. GMU offered yesterday (late to the party), and he is scheduled to visit UR next week.

Greer was set on visiting Colorado State per an interview just before his HU visit, until he got to HU and committed! May the staff be blessed to have a repeat scenario with Ford!!

My 'professional' analysis:

Good: UR is a great school. A10 as a league is attractive. Nice arena, good hoops support to my knowledge. Stable staff.
Bad: They are traditionally a midpack afterthought in the A10, the 2nd team by a long shot in their own city to VCU, and about the 4th or 5th school down the totem pole in the state (UVA, VCU, ODU, and VT is on the rise in the ACC) - i.e. very little shine for anyone there - I bet no one can even name their HC or top player - only one I know is TJ Cline and that's because of JM (and he is one of their best players by the way, which is a testament to JM more than UR) - they are going nowhere big in that conf in comparison to Xavier, Dayton, VCU, URI next yr, etc. - I don't think they have even a shot to win it or finish in the top 3 for the next few yrs, at least for as long as Ford would be playing - and he is very likely to RS there - couple of skilled wings at UR will eat up opportunities, and he is their backup plan - he needs to know that, they want Wesson first and are after other transfers as well - makes a difference IMO

Good: HU is a good school, with great facilities and a fantastic brand new bball practice facility. CAA is a very solid conf, and HU is finally positioned VERY well in it - even better considering all of the defections and turmoil of other key programs - I would bet $ on HU finishing in the top 3 and WINNING the league again during Fords playing yrs - great NYC market that produces a LOT of attention when the team is winning - super staff with *2* former NBA scouts and a TON of connections for pro opportunities, proven in player evaluation and development - a HUGE need at the position, and STUD PG's to dish the rock - pretty confident with his talent he would get PT first yr even with Greer - at HU Ford is a future CAA 1st team potential guy IMO - and that is proven to = pro shot - Ford is priority #1 right now at HU - makes a difference!
Bad: CAA is good, but not the A10. HU has very poor attendance currently - although I do see that changing a bit for the better during his time.

Aaagghhh, gonna be a long weekend unless I can get some real feedback/updates!!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with you Polito. ford would be a great get for the program. Transfers, JUCO, and 5th year guys are great if they fit the program, but nothing tops high level guys that will be around for FOUR years. I still believe that these are the types of guys that the fans rally around the most. Add Ford to the group of RG, DB, JWF, EP and we have the long term future stars of the program that fans can rally around.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

You guys are kidding yourself if you think JWF is going to play any 2 (with tiny PG's) and if he does our bad defense will only be worse! Probably smallest backcourt in America!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Justin Simon visiting Oklahoma St. this weekend...I have been trying to get an update as far as Hofstra's involvement at this point but I have not been successful
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Zach Braziller/NY Post's article on Greer's commitment: http://nypost.com/2016/04/09/hofstra-re ... n-i-dream/
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

ZMAN3 wrote:You guys are kidding yourself if you think JWF is going to play any 2 (with tiny PG's) and if he does our bad defense will only be worse! Probably smallest backcourt in America!
Well he isn't going to come in and play point guard. So if he gets any minutes at all it will be at the SG position.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Justin Simon update....as of today we are very much in the running...noted to my source that JS was visiting elsewhere this weekend and source indicated we still have a good shot
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:Justin Simon update....as of today we are very much in the running...noted to my source that JS was visiting elsewhere this weekend and source indicated we still have a good shot
Maybe he is saving his top choice for last; lets hope at least.
Polito

Post by Polito »

More importantly, how is Aleem Fords visit going?!?!?

FOCUS Gary! Great to hear about Simon for sure, but right now Ford and the wing spot is the PRIORITY!!

What's the update?!?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Gray gave verbal to San Diego...Ford visit went great but according to my source we are his first and only visit so far...I thought he had made a visit to Wofford but I guess that was not the case....Ford is scheduled to visit Richmond next weekend
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah was coming to post that... Had his official out there - I'm not a fan of that program at all, but good conf and who the heck can argue with living in San Diego :)

Glad to hear visit went great - would've loved to grab the commit before he heads back, but guess we'll have to sweat!

Pretty sure he did go to Wofford, but maybe something happened - they took a frosh for the position so they are out IMO - UR concerns me because they need one - if they land Wesson HU should be Fords spot - there's a chance they miss on him hence why they're going after Ford

Any word on who else HU is looking at?? Esp if anything goes awry with Ford - I'm somewhat ok with leaving 1 scholly open, but not 2 - they need to land 1 more impact guy of need who can play next yr - any type is fine (HS prep juco grad) - it's key IMO

4th if they decide to use should go to a guy to redshirt
Cards

Post by Cards »

Glad to hear that Ford visit went well. Hope JM and team continue to stay in touch with Ford (to the extent they can) as he visits other schools. I hate the idea of not being the last school visited (but sometimes that can't be helped)!

What do you guys think of the PG situation? We are clearly set for the upcoming year, but after this upcoming season we only have DB. Do we pull in another PG this year and either redshirt or give limited PT, or do we roll the dice and go with DB and a freshman in 17/18. Unless we can land a Devante Carter (or someone of that caliber), I'm a little nervous not having any proven/solid backup behind Buie. Of course this is 2 seasons away, but I'd like to hear other thoughts.