MBB Game 07 - Norfolk State - 12/2/14, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 07 - Norfolk State - 12/2/14, 7 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

This is first of only two home games in December, a month in which we play five games on the road (counting LIU at Barclays).

The Spartans are 3-3. They edged LIU and play St. Peter's, who upset Rutgers, tonight.

Have we played Norfolk State before ... in any sport?
ProudofPride

Re: MBB Game 07 - Norfolk State - 12/2/14, 7 PM

Post by ProudofPride »

the women's team played them in VA on Sunday, and beat them 64-47. That's the only game I can find against them in any sport though, at least in the past few years.
rakaufman

Post by rakaufman »

HU played NSU in baseball two or three years ago. NSU became moved up to D1 in 1997 and the MBB team upset Missouri in the NCAA tournament in 2012.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This will not be as easy as JSU, as NSU has some talent in their starting 5 thx to a couple to transfers (sounds familiar) - a team vying to win the MEAC, prob one of their top 3 - could be some good match ups in the SG/W and PF/C spots

However, they have NO depth and are highly dependent upon shooting well, which likely due to lack of depth seems to be a 50-50 shot to happen

I think HU should look to run them wild, play fast pace tight full court D and get em off their scoring rhythm - if they can keep them to around 60 I think HU can grab the W - if HU is hitting 3s well they could win comfortably - but I do think NSU has enough quality in their starters to battle

This will likely not be easy but it can be a nice W by season end - attack them from the starting whistle, own your house esp in the 2nd when they should be feeling the effects, and get it fellas - ROLL PRIDE
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Norfolk State went on a 19-0 second-half run to edge St. Peter's, 60-58, and take home a trophy in the Barclays Center Classic last night:

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/11/hoops-s ... er-classic

http://www.nsuspartans.com/news/2014/11 ... 43300.aspx
Cards

Post by Cards »

interesting factoid - St peters has travis hester and elisha boone - both are players that we were recruiting at one time.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Cards also Marvin Dominique their best player had also committed to HU for Pecora and followed him to Fordham and has landed at St. Peters as well.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Anyone know if there is something wrong with Rokas Gustys? His tweets have been somewhat concerning and I know he has been somewhat hampered by a leg injury. If anyone has seen him in practice let us know!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

One of the better interviews with Coach Mihalich. He discusses our two early commits (Desure Buie and Justin Wright-Foreman) and gives a preview of Norfolk State:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6nMATw ... youtu.be&a
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nothing on Rokas??????????????????????????
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Pretty sure Gustys isn't playing. He's sitting on the sidelines in sweats with Moussa and Ibrahim Djambo watching the team warm up.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra went up 14-5. Then Norfolk State went on a 19-3 run to go up 24-17. After an exchange of layups, Hofstra went on a 17-2 run to go up 34-26. It's now 39-30.

Edit: Norfolk State ended the half on a 10-4 run and Hofstra leads 43-40 at halftime. Ameen Tanksley leads all scorers with 17 points and hasn't missed a field goal. Both teams have made more than half their three-pointers and the teams have combined to shoot three-pointers better than two-pointers. RaShid Gaston (14) and Malik Thomas (11) have scored in double-digits for Norfolk State. Hofstra had 4 offensive rebounds that led to 10 second chance points compared to 3 for Norfolk State. Norfolk State has 12 assists and both teams have over twice as many assists as turnovers. Juan'ya Green has 6 assists but only 4 points. Mailk Nichols (5), Ameen Tanksley (4), and Brian Bernardi (4) are the only Hofstra players with rebounds. That adds up to 13 and Hofstra has 2 team rebounds for a total of 15.

Edit: With 13:21 left, Norfolk State has 8 fouls in the second half putting them on pace for 24. Hofstra has their largest lead at 59-49 and Tanksley has 28 points.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 88-74 which was their largest lead of the game. Hofstra had more steals (9) than turnovers (8). Hofstra had 21 points off turnovers and Norfolk State had 9. Hofstra made 14 out of 25 three-pointers (exactly 56%) which is 1 short of the team record for three-pointers made in a game. Ameen Tanksley didn't attempt a shot for a long time at the end and led all scorers with 30 points. RaShid Gaston had the only double-double of the game with 28 points and 10 rebounds. He made 12 out of 15 field goals. Juan'ya Green (18), Brian Bernardi (17), and Dion Nesmith (10) made four Hofstra players who scored in double-digits. Eliel Gonzalez didn't play and Hofstra used only seven players with six of them playing at least 20 minutes. Malik Nichols led in point differential while he was playing with +18. Green had 8 assists, 4 steals, and played the whole game. Hofstra attempted 37 free throws and Norfolk State attempted 10.

Edit: Tanksley passed Green for the team scoring lead, 18.4 to 18.3. Tanksley last scored with 11:10 left. If the other schools remain the same Hofstra will go up to 12th in Division I in three-point field goal percentage.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Hope these injuries to our bigs isn't for long. Would like to see Nicols and Tanksley playing more in the "3" slot then being forced to play "D" in the post (along with Benardi). I, personally, don't have a great feel for this team yet, but do expect them to win. Although I haven't seen either Walker or Guysts much but what I did see of them they both have an ability to make some nice passes to cutters out of the post.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are very limited inside without Gustys and Kone. Everyone opponent big is killing us inside. Good thing we can shoot the lights our from three otherwise we'd be in trouble.

Word is that Moussa should be back in late Dec after the exam break, I know nothing about Gustys' injury but as I said in previous posts he was hurting. Walker has potential but he is not physically ready to handle the post.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400597900 is the Associated Press recap titled "Hot Tanksley helps Hofstra beat Norfolk St. 88-74." http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2014/12/2 ... 43734.aspx is Hofstra's recap. CAA teams went 3-0 tonight.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Caught a little bit of this via the live video feed (great quality when it's working, but very choppy, hope they get that resolved, love the feature)

Tanksley, WOW, he is a flat out BEAST - I mean he's really blowing me away with what he brings to the table - Stu, think you called it on his impact to this team when he decided to transfer

Green continues to just do it ALL, fills categories on the stat sheet - he doesn't score the most often times, but doesn't need to and he CLEARLY makes every single teammate better - he is a great floor leader, and all these guys should be thanking him for the loads of assists he dishes out every game

Reading Gustys twitter I really didn't think it was anything serious enough to keep him out of a game...guess I was wrong lol - hopefully the rest and the extra days between the App St game will be enough for him to get back on the court - not enough depth to be down 2 of 3 big guys

Would've liked to have seen them slow NSU down a bit, was hoping to keep them in the 60's, but understandable with minimal post presence, plus the fact HU loves to score and CAN (sometimes at will), and like JAM said in that great interview, scoring more than the other guy is the name of the game! This is a game when all things considered, HU would've been beaten by about 10 in the past - may not be beautiful all the time, but don't care, just keep winning baby!!

One thing I thought watching what I could tonight: this team isn't even CLOSE to reaching their potential yet - they can be SSSOOOOOOO good, you can just see it - I don't think they played amazingly well tonight, but they still lit up what I believe is a solid team in the top half of the MEAC - defense will improve with healthy Gustys and Kone - when this squad really clicks, they can do absolute DAMAGE - looking for that peak right around Conf playoffs and NCAA's!!!
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Walker looks lost and not ready for prime time - will hardly see court when Gustys and Kone return. Discrepancy at foul line the difference - can't ever remember one team (Norfolk) committing 8 team fouls before the other (HU) committed one. Word on Gustys from reliable source - OUT 3 WEEKS - they*re hoping both return for LaSalle on the 23rd
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Zman thanks for the injury update...it appears we are the ONLY school that will NOT divulge ANYTHING on injuries! Even during last night's press conference, NO ONE asked about status of both big guys...like they don't EXIST...Do you know what Rokas' injury is? He has been nursing what appears to be an upper leg injury for the past few weeks...Did it get worse? Different injury???