W&M @ MBB, Saturday, 2/26, 2 PM - Senior Day

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

W&M @ MBB, Saturday, 2/26, 2 PM - Senior Day

Post by Jojogunne »

This is the last home game for Zach Cooks (G), Jalen Ray (G), Jarrod Simmons (G), and, possibly, Omar Silverio (SR). Not sure if Omar has another year of eligibility (due to Covid) or not.

W&M is 4-13 in the CAA and lost to Northeastern last night, 62-28. The Tribe's 28 points are among the lowest scored by any D1 team this year.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/2/25/me ... r-day.aspx
CTDutch

Re: W&M @ MBB, Saturday, 2/26, 2 PM - Senior Day

Post by CTDutch »

Jojogunne wrote:This is the last home game for Zach Cooks (G), Jalen Ray (G), Jarrod Simmons (G), and, possibly, Omar Silverio (SR). Not sure if Omar has another year of eligibility (due to Covid) or not.
Website story says Omar is participating in Senior ceremony, but he definitely is eligible to return next year. Played 1 year at URI, and now 3 years at HU, but 2020-21 doesn't count.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:This is the last home game for Zach Cooks (G), Jalen Ray (G), Jarrod Simmons (G), and, possibly, Omar Silverio (SR). Not sure if Omar has another year of eligibility (due to Covid) or not.

W&M is 4-13 in the CAA and lost to Northeastern last night, 62-28. The Tribe's 28 points are among the lowest scored by any D1 team this year.

So Jojo do u think we have a chance at winning this one considering our last no show?? Lol 17.5 point favorites O/U 145.5 I won't mention TRAP GAME again but to lose on SENIOR DAY AND BEING THAT BIG A FAVORITE!! BEWARE....... ESPN says we have a 97.2% chance of winning this one!!!

Congrats to all our seniors and wishing them much success in life and of course let's bring home the CAA CHAMPIONSHIP!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

FYI we do have a rescheduled home game on Monday. So second to last home game for those guys.

I know Omar is a streaky player (to say the least) but I think overall our team is better with him on the roster. Just maybe not as a starter. So hopefully he does decide to come back next year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:

FYI we do have a rescheduled home game on Monday. So second to last home game for those guys.

I know Omar is a streaky player (to say the least) but I think overall our team is better with him on the roster. Just maybe not as a starter. So hopefully he does decide to come back next year.
Yes HM a lot of us have been saying that about Omar and clearly he has a lot more upside then Burgess and does play D and is a very good FT shooter who also rebounds.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2022 ... ofsra.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: William & Mary at Hofstra." Elon and us were the first teams in CAA history to split a season series with each team winning by at least 25. It was the first time in 295 games that our leading scorer(s) scored only 10.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=368976 has statistics. We are starting Cooks, Estrada, Silverio, Ray, and Simmons.

Edit: We went from down 10-6 to lead 12-10. We had two possessions where we scored 3 from a three (both by Silverio) and two possessions where we scored 3 including at least one free throw (Ray was fouled in the act of shooting a three 17 seconds in and made all three, and Simmons had a three-point play) before any possessions where we scored 2.

Edit: Silverio made a three to give him three threes and three free throws with 11:46 left in the half. It put us up 23-15 and made W&M call timeout. In the first 6:36, three players got fouled in the act of shooting threes and made every free throw.

Edit: Estrada scored with 6:25 left in the half to go up 31-23, and I'm surprised W&M called their second timeout. Ray, Estrada, and Cooks combined to shoot field goals 2-12. Ray has 8 points because he shot free throws 5-5, but he committed 2 fouls. W&M has 10 fouls and 9 turnovers to our 5 fouls and 2 turnovers, which is why we have 7 more field goal attempts and 7 more free throw attempts. W&M made half of their field goals.

Edit: We lead 35-24. and that's with us shooting field goals 9-27 including Cooks 0-7. Estrada has 4 points, leads us with 4 rebounds, and doesn't have an assist. In addition to winning, I want him to stay above Drexel's Camren Wynter to make Wynter second in assists per game behind a Hofstra player for the third consecutive season after Buie and Burgess.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

18 of HU's first 23 shots from 3, despite being only 5/18 from 3 and 10/11 at the line (for the nation's 3rd-best FT shooting team coming in).

I just don't get the approach.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Both Cooks and Estrada shooting them and not hitting any of them. Cooks with no points!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We lead 41-31. With 10:56 left in the half we got up to 25, and we scored only 16 after that. Cooks (0-8), Ray (1-4), and Estrada 92-6) combined to shoot field goals 3-18 (.167). Everybody else shot field goals 8-14 (.571). Silverio scored 20 by shooting 5-9 with all of the attempts being threes, and free throws 5-5. His long shot at the buzzer hit the back rim. Ray made 5 free throws and scored 8. Estrada scored 4. Burgess score 3 from a three that hit the front rim and kept going, and Simmons scored 3 from a three-point play. Dubar shot 1-2 to score 2. Iyiola made the first free throw and missed the second for our only miss of the half to score 1. Simmons, Iyiola, and Cramer combined for only 4 points, 1 field goal attempt, and 4 rebounds. Dubar did not start and played only 7 minutes because he committed two fouls. He blocked one shot, and Cramer had blocks 32 seconds apart in the process of having 1 rebound and 2 blocks in 4 minutes. We had 6 assists and 3 turnovers. Estrada's only assist was with 2:36 left. Estrada and Silverio tied for our lead with 4 rebounds. Connor Kochera led W&M with 8 points. Tyler Rice had 5 points, 4 rebounds, and led all players with 3 assists. Brandon Carroll shot 1-5 to score 3, led all players with 7 rebounds, and tied Cramer with 2 blocks. W&M had more rebounds, 23 to 15. W&M's problems were 11 turnovers and 11 fouls.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Both Cooks and Estrada shooting them and not hitting any of them. Cooks with no points!
I mean, why take so many 3s when you're not hitting them (2/14 aside from Silverio's 5/9)?

Concerned about Cooks, who is 1/15 over his last three halves.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Both Cooks and Estrada shooting them and not hitting any of them. Cooks with no points!
I mean, why take so many 3s when you're not hitting them (2/14 aside from Silverio's 5/9)?

Concerned about Cooks, who is 1/15 over his last three halves.
You’re not alone and Estrada as well. At least get some assists.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cramer made 2 dunks and 2 free throws in 1:09, and we lead 58-36 with 11:57 left. Neither team's leading scorer at halftime scored in the second half.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Love what Cramer brings to this team. He’s been missed
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Love what Cramer brings to this team. He’s been missed
Huge energy guy since he arrived at Hofstra. Still makes no sense that all he really got was garbage time on Thursday when they were so flat. But moving on...
61-44 now with a bit over 9 left.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We won 83-67. Silverio led all scorers with 20, and he shot 0-5 with no free throw attempts in the second half. He also had no rebounds in the second half after he had 4 in the first half. He shot three 5-13, missed his only two, and shot free throws 5-5. Ray made 4 threes and scored 19. Dubar scored 9 in the last 5:05 to make 12. His rebounds continue to decrease as he had 2, and he blocked 1 shot. Estrada shot 5-12 to score 11, and he needed a layup with 2:25 left to avoid consecutive single-digit games. He did not attempt any of our 19 free throws. He led us in rebounds with 10, assists with 3, turnovers with 2, and steals with 5. W&M ended by missing, getting an offesnive rebound, and missing with 2 seconds left that let Estrada have the only double-double on either team. Cramer scored 8 by making 3 twos and 2 free thows without missing. He had 3 blocks, 2 rebounds, and 2 steals in 10 minutes. Cooks shot 3-13 to score 6. Simmons had a three-point play 3:57 in for his only points. With 7:17 left he missed two free throws, which led to us shooting them 3-6 in the second half and 15-19 (.789) to lower our season percentage below our team record. Burgess scored 3 from a three with 8:15 left in the first half, and he did not play in the second half, compared to Silverio, who got 17 second half minutes. Iyiola did not attempt a field goal and made 1 of 2 free throws. All nine of our players scored. We had 12 steals, and W&M had more turnovers 19 to 8. That helped us have more points off turnovers 21 to 9, and the only 10 fast break points. It is the second consecutive Saturday that we did not allow any fast break points. We had only 5 offensive rebounds.

Ben Wight led W&M with 19 points, so the top three scorers scored 19 or 20. Connor Kochera had 15 points and 6 rebounds, but committed 4 turnovers. Tyler Rice had 7 points, 5 rebounds, and led all players with 10 assists. Julian Lewis had 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 turnovers. They made 5 of 6 free throws in each half.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... core/11489 is the box score. The attendance of 2,247 was bad for a good team on Senior Day.

Edit: Drexel led for the last 1.7 seconds of their 80-79 Senior Day win over Charleston. Charleston went up 16 with 14:59 left. Towson won 95-59 at JMU. Towson used 17 players, and 16 players attempted a field goal. Nicolas Timberlake made 7 of 10 threes and scored 25. JMU's Terrence Edwards scored 29 to lead all CAA players. UNCW won 69-62 at Delaware. UNCW's Jaylen Sims, who is second to Estrada in points per game, shot 3-14, and UNCW shot threes 2-15. Delaware freshman Jyare Davis had 23 points and 7 rebounds.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Love what Cramer brings to this team. He’s been missed
Me too - wonder if should play at the same time as Simmons or Iyiola???
Last edited by daHUPride on Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I think we should use two forwards occasionally.

Charleston's Brenden Tucker might be injured. He averages 11.6 points and shoots threes .405.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:I think we should use two forwards occasionally.

Charleston's Brenden Tucker might be injured. He averages 11.6 points and shoots threes .405.
Their third-leading scorer. Will be interesting to see if he suits up in Hempstead on Monday night in a game that doesn't mean anything in the standings. If he's hurt longer-term, that could be key a week from Sunday, now that it's Hofstra against Charleston in the quarterfinals, after Drexel pulled out an 80-79 win over the Cougars in a game the Dragons trailed for 39:41 today.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote:I think we should use two forwards occasionally.

Their third-leading scorer. Will be interesting to see if he suits up in Hempstead on Monday night in a game that doesn't mean anything in the standings. If he's hurt longer-term, that could be key a week from Sunday, now that it's Hofstra against Charleston in the quarterfinals, after Drexel pulled out an 80-79 win over the Cougars in a game the Dragons trailed for 39:41 today.
Sounds like Tucker is okay. He went back in during the second half and has plenty of time to rest up for the remaining Charleston-Hofstra matchup that counts the most.

I kind of really think they should just cancel the first one (though they of course won't) since it has no effect on the seeding for anyone and it's a makeup anyway. That would have been Hofstra's choice from what I gathered speaking to Parrotta. But he also said as long as they are playing it, they will play it to win to keep the momentum going heading into the tourney.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Nice win, but lets not forget this team got smacked around vs. an extremely sub par Elon team. Also, we didnt cover the Vegas spread, so I guess we could have played better according to the people in the desert.

I still cant get over Thursday. We beat a team we were supposed to beat. Nothing special today.