Gustys

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Gustys

Post by ProudofPride »

Just asked on twitter if he should switch his free throw style to underhand. I think we can all answer with a resounding yes.
dutchalum01

Re: Gustys

Post by dutchalum01 »

Absolutely. It's more painful seeing him shoot overhand. If a HOF could do it, he sure can.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Been preaching that going on a year now. Big mens forms break down especially late in the game. He is shooting I believe under 20 percent. he cant do much worse.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

This question was asked to coach Farrelly (spelling?) in the pride lounge before the stony brook game. He said no. He also said that gustys had just shot around 65-70% (forget the exact numbers) in practice and that it is just a mental thing with him in games.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The let's get a hypnotize in and get him straightened out
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I mean Rok is shooting 20.5% from the line right now, and he doesn't take jump shots during the game, so why not.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Whoa, that is one ugly stat no matter how many rebounds he collects.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I was watching Rok before each half at the Sienna game. He was taking lots of FTs while the other guys were shooting around. I think I can say that as frustrating as it is for us to watch, it has to be more frustrating for him. He was hitting 4 of 5, then 3 of 5, then about the same percent before the second half. It must drive him crazy!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:I was watching Rok before each half at the Sienna game. He was taking lots of FTs while the other guys were shooting around. I think I can say that as frustrating as it is for us to watch, it has to be more frustrating for him. He was hitting 4 of 5, then 3 of 5, then about the same percent before the second half. It must drive him crazy!
It's purely mental.

I recall this, with the Lakers, from three years ago:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... --nba.html

In the NBA, this was just one last night (may be time for Rok to try it):
http://nbalead.com/2016/12/28/onuaku-br ... anny-shot/
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Current NBA player switched to shooting ft underhand and is now a top percentage free thrower also see attached link:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trainin ... -technique
Wags

Post by Wags »

bobe13 wrote:Current NBA player switched to shooting ft underhand and is now a top percentage free thrower also see attached link:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trainin ... -technique
"Barry thinks the mental game is a big aspect of free throws. He says having a set routine is important because in a critical moment, you won't think about making them, but rather simply go through a consistent and familiar progression."

Exactly what I was saying above. It's not a physical thing with Rok or any other player that struggles at the line (well, maybe with Joakim Noah, it's physical, because he now just flings the ball from his chest, which is ridiculous). But like Barry says, it's getting a routine down and sticking with it. Other than that, it's all mental. You'd think with team of suits Joe has next to him on the bench, SOMEONE would be able to get Rok to do that. Or get him a sports psychologist or something.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

So far underhand...one for two in first half...I will take it
garyg

Post by garyg »

Rokas played against Delaware like he was frustrated and with lack of confidence...on his FG attempts he was throwing ball at basket as opposed to shooting it..if we are going to make a run Rokas must get straightened out and be able to finish near basket...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Mr. Gustys is having a very rude awakening to what it's going to take to truly win at this level in the post-Green era. He got spoiled, big time.

His weaknesses have been majorly exposed without Green. Hopefully this yr is a major learning experience for him, because he needs to put in some SERIOUS work to expand his game, on both ends of the floor.

Yes, Powers needs to do a MUCH better job with the pick and roll, and setting him up properly in general.

But 1 measly point against UD is not all Powers - that's just a pitiful performance from a Jr leader who is strong as an ox. I would like to see he and this staff figure out how to effectively utilize his size and strength to back his opponent up under the basket and stuff the ball down his throat...and the hoop. How in the world can you be a starter that big and talented and not manage to score a single basket against an average at best opponent? That is unacceptable.

THAT'S what a 6'9 force needs to be doing in D1 in the CAA. And right now, he's not. That needs to change...asap.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Gustys is in a serious funk. Also seems like he needs more rest during the games than he is getting. The crowd is constantly discussing how he looks winded and needs a break. Not like he doesn't have great backup centers to get in the game for him - Sabety and Walker. I know Sabety barely gets any time, but it is also shocking that with Walker's build and size that he is rarely ever put in the game unless HU is getting the W.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Gustys is completely lost without Green. Their pick and roll success built confidence in rest Gustys game. Green was a methodical, let the play come him, pass first (pick and roll to Gustys or kick out to Tanksley, Koon or Bernardi) PG. Powers is a different PG - he is quick, beat his man to the hoop, looks to score first. Opponents had to respect Green and his skill to score in so many way, his ability to draw fouls or dish off to teammates. Green was the consummate PG that makes everyone around him better.

That said, Gustys is skilled enough and a hard enough worker to still make things happen on his own. That is where I see him frustrated and that isn't a good thing. He does look winded. Sabaty gives decent minutes. Walker, I have given up on seeing him. He saw his most minutes in the first few games of his Freshman year and has steadily decline ever since - a complete head scratcher.
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:Gustys is completely lost without Green. Their pick and roll success built confidence in rest Gustys game. Green was a methodical, let the play come him, pass first (pick and roll to Gustys or kick out to Tanksley, Koon or Bernardi) PG. Powers is a different PG - he is quick, beat his man to the hoop, looks to score first. Opponents had to respect Green and his skill to score in so many way, his ability to draw fouls or dish off to teammates. Green was the consummate PG that makes everyone around him better.

That said, Gustys is skilled enough and a hard enough worker to still make things happen on his own. That is where I see him frustrated and that isn't a good thing. He does look winded. Sabaty gives decent minutes. Walker, I have given up on seeing him. He saw his most minutes in the first few games of his Freshman year and has steadily decline ever since - a complete head scratcher.
This is exactly it. I was saying it here since the preseason, that I was afraid Gustys would take a big step back offensively without Green to help him on PnR's. Hofstra has a nice group of guards, but Green was the CAA POY for a reason, and no Hofstra guard is in that class (at least not this year). They each mainly do two things -- swing the ball around the perimeter to each other or try to break their man down off the dribble and create their own shot in the lane, without looking drive, draw and dish (like Green did) and also without trying to feed the ball into Rok in the post, from the wings or perimeter (which they almost never look to do; he has stopped posting and calling for the ball because he knows they won't even look his way in that regard... that's on the coaches to change that if they want him involved more - and they should, and so should the guards, because Rok being more of a threat inside will only open up the perimeter game and even driving lanes for the guards).

As it is right now, it's still not the worst thing on this particular team, since this team finds ways to put up high scoring numbers even without Rok getting into the act the way he did with Green setting him up. So if he can just keep rebounding and improve his defense in the middle (still a big IF), he remains very valuable.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He's improved his free throw shooting:

First 9 games: 5/31 (.161)
Last 6 games (starting with St. Bonaventure): 7/21 (.333), which is over double .161
Total: 12/52 (.231)
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:He's improved his free throw shooting:

First 9 games: 5/31 (.161)
Last 6 games (starting with St. Bonaventure): 7/21 (.333), which is over double .161
Total: 12/52 (.231)
That's simply going from unfathomly bad to inexcusably terrible.

If HU's guards can begin to look in his direction, get him involved in the offense and get any sort of PnR going with him, and if he continues to board and can improve his defense, I'd live with the .161 again.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Has he started shooting free throws underhanded