Malik Nichols

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Malik Nichols

Post by Hofstra »

Out for year. Just saw on IG he tore his ACL and MCL.. Sucks..

He was a spark plug for this team. Loved his energy and intensity..

What now? Our depth is non existent as it is.. Whose up next?
ProudofPride

Re: Malik Nichols

Post by ProudofPride »

Here's his post about it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BA-8ExsPZbn ... by=0god_gg

The choices now are to actually play Walker, or un-redshirt Robinson. Maybe JAM will discuss it on the Coaches Report tomorrow. This is when it would've been nice if AW got more playing time in the OOC schedule.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

What a shame. You have to feel for the guy, the best word to describe him is "spark." He could change the tempo, give us a physical wing presence, and do the little things well. We certainly don't have a viable replacement for what he brought. Now I suppose Joe either gives Buie/JWF more minutes or just runs the starters more. This is a big blow.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

PoP--burning Jamall's redshirt at this point would be idiotic and I reaaally hope Joe doesn't go that route. Would be a waste of Robinson's year. I'd rather give our young guys time and development while hoping our starting five can hold down the fort.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Huge blow. Hopefully AW can step up.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Love Malik's game, he's been great for us, so bummed for the guy.

Someone's gotta step up, I think you get Buie more time, and just start working Wright-Foreman and Walker into more crucial situations. We can get it done!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

That's a real shame. Sad that it had to happen landing wrong after an important slam for momentum. He will definitely be missed as he added a dimension that no one on the team can currently do - high energy, spark, inside defensive presence.

I saw AW in the parking lot shortly after the game was over. Was surprised to see him outside so quickly. It doesn't ever seem like he interacts with the team on the bench much, so it makes me wonder if he is planning his exit. Would be a shame since I think he has some physical tools, that is worked on, could be very valuable (especially with AW out).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Shame about Malik...he was our first guy off the bench, providing energy, defense and rebounding....disagree about Jamall he could come in and be a key factor down the stretch...be part of a truly special team.

Don't count on any news/discussion on the coaches report...just doesn't happen.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Terrible news. Malik was a big part of the team, I wish him well.

Time to burn that redshirt. This is our best shot at winning a championship in 15 years. Take no chances. Can't go with your starting 5 and a freshman off the bench. I wouldn't expect AW to magically be a factor. Get Robinson out there now!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

MN - was our high energy guy - always thought he should be used more not just as a sub for RG - but to be used with RG and sub for DK and AT.
I'd be shocked if they bring JR back for the last 10 games - not that JAM could have planned for MN going down - but there was always a chance someone could get hurt.
If they were going to bring JR back I'd thought it would be when they knew Djambo was going to be an option - plus does JR really play the same roll as MN? Thinking JR was more of 2/3 then 3/4 - and talk about not knowing what you'd get - Id think he'd be rusty as hell.
Tough break but if I were JR - this is to late to do it.
And if I am JAM - you knew this was a possibility.
Thanks MN for your hard work - liked what you brought to the table - except you occasional 3 point attempts - all the best to you kid.
Big loss.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Pride 97 wrote:
I saw AW in the parking lot shortly after the game was over. Was surprised to see him outside so quickly. It doesn't ever seem like he interacts with the team on the bench much, so it makes me wonder if he is planning his exit. Would be a shame since I think he has some physical tools, that is worked on, could be very valuable (especially with AW out).
Yep - I was inside watching the women warming up for their game. After 10 minutes, JWF, still in uniform, came out and was chatting with an older gent (maybe a former coach or family member).........a minute later, AW came out, in casual dress, met who I assumed was his girlfriend, and then he booked out of there. I guess we shall see over the coming weeks how much time AW will get, but even if he plays, I'm not convinced he plans on staying at HU.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:Pride 97 wrote:
Yep - I was inside watching the women warming up for their game. After 10 minutes, JWF, still in uniform, came out and was chatting with an older gent (maybe a former coach or family member).........a minute later, AW came out, in casual dress, met who I assumed was his girlfriend, and then he booked out of there. I guess we shall see over the coming weeks how much time AW will get, but even if he plays, I'm not convinced he plans on staying at HU.
Why would he want to watch another BB???
Transfer-who can blame him?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Just listened to the Coaches Report with Joe M and NOTHING was said or asked about Malik and what the plans are to fill the sixth man gap....no surprise there.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

He didn't say anything on the CAA teleconference call either, but no media members asked him any questions about it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

First, prayers for full recovery to Nichols, appreciate his efforts at HU - God bless him and his future

Second, don't want to say I told ya so about proper rotation work, because a) I'm not the only one and b) it's also annoying :P but, well, you already know.

What say you folks now who actually believed no depth building or PT adjustment was needed earlier on? Pray tell, what do you propose now that there is ZERO developed experience on the bench to fill his role?

You cannot replace MN with DB, so let's kill that right now - that's as ridiculous as replacing RG with him - MN is a strong 6'6 forward brought in to provide physical D and rebounding, and a big spark of energy off the bench - that's not DB's game or skill set, nor should it be - and he already has his role as the PG off the bench to spell certain guards, and that role is needed and must remain as is

I think you can fill in with JWF a bit more, and will likely have to as that's prob the best bet - but of course he's gotten so little PT that he'll need to develop - you all know I love the young man's game, but he's an inexperienced frosh replacing a SR

I actually do not think burning JR is the answer, although I do recognize it as an option - and not because I want to 'save him for next yr' or something like that - I think it's just as Dooku noted about AW - you can't expect this guy to come in completely cold now 3/4's through the season and magically be some savior - he hasn't played a live game in a LONG time - he is prob the best overall fit to replace MN in terms of skillset/size/role, so I can see the lure in it, just not sure it's the best move for him or the team - hell at least AW and JWF have had SOME live PT this season to build from...

Should be interesting to see how this is handled - more importantly, I really hope this is a hard lesson learned for this staff when it comes to proper backup preparation.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Tough spot for MN...his college career is over, but he has surgery and a long rehab (about 6-9 mos) ahead of him. Hope he's on track to getting his degree.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:First, prayers for full recovery to Nichols, appreciate his efforts at HU - God bless him and his future
Second, don't want to say I told ya so about proper rotation work, because a) I'm not the only one and b) it's also annoying :P but, well, you already know.

What say you folks now who actually believed no depth building or PT adjustment was needed earlier on? Pray tell, what do you propose now that there is ZERO developed experience on the bench to fill his role?
Not saying I don't understand where you and others are coming from on this, but I think the way the starting five -- which let's face, was always going to be what would ultimately take this team to the the NCAAT or not this year, Nichols or not -- has developed pretty nicely, especially over the past two games. I see it all fusing together well from that group right now, sans Bernardi's ice cold streak of late (which should pick up).

I used the example in another thread recently... that when many here were screaming for Walker to play more, what if that took minutes away from a guy like Gustys and as a result, he failed to develop as fast as he has this year? Well, the same may go for pushing any of the starters big minutes the way the staff has. So yeah, you gain bench experience, but in the grand scheme of things, you might lose more in terms of what is really going to carry you forward to the ultimate goals you're trying to achieve in March.

At 6-2, tied for first, with these past two wins, the way they won them over NU & W&M, I can't really argue with that logic from the staff. If HU were more where NU is right now, then I'd be far more inclined to agree with what you and others have been saying all year about the bench and playing time.

I am confident that whoever is thrown into the role to make up for Nichols (although they can't bring what he did in terms of toughness, board and an ability to score a good amount in a short clip) -- which by the way, is why they couldn't get much floor time to begin with (!) -- will be able to step up in other ways, enough to fill a small void while the starting five remain the primary horses to ride to CAA titles.

Tougher now? Certainly. But still doable just the way it's been done by the staff until now, and with the way they're forced to do it from here? Absolutely.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra's announcement: http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/1/26/MBB_0126162224.aspx

At much as it sucks for any player to go down to a season ending injury, especially when it ends their career, one "good thing" is that it happened while he's at school. He still gets access to the doctors and training staff, and has all of the tools and equipment which will help aid him in a speedy recovery.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It's amazing what little press this program gets and then we have an injury to Malik and Newsday is all over it and even the NY Times had a short paragraph on his injury...we don't even a get paragraph in the Grey Lady for wins over William & Mary and Northeastern
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

You don't really expect the Times to cover the CAA, do you?