Hofstra baseball 2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Sctvman

Re: Hofstra baseball 2022

Post by Sctvman »

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Incredible story on so so many levels! Given history of Hofstra baseball and where team was picked in preseason poll, this is by far the biggest achievement in Hofstra athletics history and am having trouble coming up with even a close second.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I've never seen a batter so excited to be hit by a pitch. LOL!

What an inspiration this team is this year. WOW! What a story! We know it has to do with lions, but the name Pride fits this team perfectly in the other way that word is used. I never really followed Hofstra Baseball, but I do now. How can anyone in the Hofstra family not be incredibly proud of what this team has done so far? Not just the winning and the success despite the very low expectations, but the way they did it, over and over, and over again. Comeback after comeback, walk-off win after walk-off win (including these last two over the past two days), coming through in clutch moment after clutch moment. I went from not really knowing this team to absolutely loving this team. I know it's gonna be tough, but wow, if they can keep this going a while in the NCAA tournament. I sure hope so. GO PRIDE!!!!!!!!!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to the team and coaches. Let's hope the next game is on ESPN.
Wags

Post by Wags »

garyg

Post by garyg »

Congratulations to coaches and players...what a season !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Congrats to the Baseball team. What a underdog story. Very happy for them and the university.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Congrats to coach cat and the entire Hofstra baseball team what an incredible and to the season nine straight wins and a total of nine walk offs including four in row in the CAA tournaments if I had one word to describe the steam it would be grit Now onto the NCAA tournament and let’s make some noise
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This should be an inspiration for all HU sports. Congrats to an almost impossible feat. I'm sure they will represent the school in exemplary fashion.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I was just looking through Hofstra's baseball record book:

https://gohofstra.com/documents/2022/2/ ... rdBook.pdf

Hofstra baseball has been in the CAA since 2002. That's 21 seasons. This is our first CAA championship.

We have had a baseball team since 1938, three years after Hofstra was established. I can find no other reference to a championship. So is this our first baseball championship EVER?

BTW, until this year, the team's record was 1051-1467-16 (there was no baseball for three years during WWII). See Year-by-Year Records, page 12.

Here are the 16 regional sites for the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... ampionship

Tennessee, Va Tech, Stanford and Oregon State are the top four teams. I assume we will face one of them in the first round:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/ ... com-top-25
Polito

Post by Polito »

Absolutely incredible!!! Amazing run, what a job by this staff and team! Congrats fellas, kudos for turning a bottom feeder into a winner - started at the bottom, now you’re here!

Watching the selection show right now, finally a conf championship and an NCAAT spot!

And yes Jojo, this is HU baseballs FIRST EVER conf championship and NCAAT appearance - since inception in 1938 - that is wild. Again this is a program that couldve easily been disbanded many times without blinking an eye - and honestly probably should have - but this staff has come in and proven that a program can be winner despite all odds - because HU baseball has EVERYTHING against them - yet we now see what real coaching can produce.

Just fantastic!

Good stuff Stu :P busting your chops lol - you are right, G R I T

Pissed ESPN doesn’t have live video of the team - cmon man this is probably one of if not THE best story of the conf championships - give these boys some air time!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Scratch that, they just showed them!!! Love it! But not a single word about this first ever spot, that’s annoying - cmon man - oh well, gotta go make some noise now

And I CANT STAND UNC - get after them Pride!! Winnable - Go shock the field fellas!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote:Scratch that, they just showed them!!! Love it! But not a single word about this first ever spot, that’s annoying - cmon man - oh well, gotta go make some noise now

And I CANT STAND UNC - get after them Pride!! Winnable - Go shock the field fellas!
https://twitter.com/NCAABaseball/status ... H7Q9BSiQLA

Here’s a mention of it being the first time.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Tennessee, Va Tech, Stanford and Oregon State are the top four teams. I assume we will face one of them in the first round:
Eight tournament teams had worse RPIs, so facing the 10 seed is reasonable, and it wasn't giant travel like Binghamton. I don't know if you looked at our RPI of 120th, but it was reasonable to assume that we would be one of the bottom four teams. If you apply our RPI percentile (I use percentiles because the amount of teams is different) to Men's Basketball, a team with our percentile would have fewer than eight worse teams.

The ACC and SEC dominate, and the nearest regional to the northeast was Maryland. The only host north of Maryland was Oregon State. The Big East was 13th in the Conference RPI, which was one spot below the CAA.
Polito wrote: Scratch that, they just showed them!!! Love it! But not a single word about this first ever spot, that’s annoying - cmon man - oh well, gotta go make some noise now
At https://www.ncaa.com/video/baseball/202 ... ction-show it was said at 24:28 "making their first NC double A tournament appearance."

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/baseball/d1/2022 has the bracket. Three below .500 teams made the tournament including Coppin State, who went 24-28, and was 1-53 ten years ago.

We play on Friday at 2:00 P.M. on ESPN Plus. I have important soccer games to watch coming up, and I did not expect my sports to be supplemented by Hofstra in the NCAA Baseball Tournament.

Edit: Facing the 10 seed is the equivalent of a 3 vs. 14 game in Men's Basketball. In 1999-2000 we got a 14 seed in Men's Basketball with a much better RPI than we had in Baseball this year.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Happy to see that it says Flying Dutchmen above the dugout, but why didn't they change that Pride?

https://twitter.com/HofstraBaseball/sta ... 5866349570
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, I believe the other dugout says Hofstra Pride. The same set up of two names was also present in Shuart Stadium for a few seasons. I believe this goes back many seasons ago when there was talk about using multiple names like a few other colleges, for example Auburn goes by Tigers and War Eagles.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://twitter.com/ncaabaseball/status ... AmhYGB7tzA

Cool that Hofstra is shown first in this video compilation
Polito

Post by Polito »

Never noticed that about the Flying Dutchmen… that’s pretty funny

So do we have anyone here that either lives in the NC area or will be heading down to catch the games Friday?

Would be cool to have in person feedback on the play and overall experience.