MBB Recruits 2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ZMAN3

Re: MBB Recruits 2022

Post by ZMAN3 »

That's what I've been saying - Estrada was the PG - I'm not sure what Burgess' role was - maybe just to bring the ball up, then hand it off to Estrada and get out of the way. Obviously, Burgess wanted a more significant role and that's why he's outta here.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I actually thought to myself that Burgess didn't play those kind of minutes. He would start and come out of the game around the 15 minute mark. My feeling was that Speedy wanted to get a lead always in the first half and didn't want to play from behind. Burgess brought D and could dish. In some of those game only Ray came in at the 15 minute mark others both Ray and Cooks would come in together. It had to be frustrating not seeing the chemistry work with Cooks and Ray. Cooks wasn't the same player after he injured his ankle and sat out some games. There's a lot of size on this team and I'm sure Speedy doesn't want a replay of bigger guards posting up our smaller ones. Carlos will be the smallest player on the court for us so size should be a plus.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:That's what I've been saying - Estrada was the PG - I'm not sure what Burgess' role was - maybe just to bring the ball up, then hand it off to Estrada and get out of the way. Obviously, Burgess wanted a more significant role and that's why he's outta here.
ZMAN Burgess's role was clear get up in the face of whoever you're guarding and make that player very uncomfortable and get assists on offense. There were games he didn't shoot at all but his presence on the O side of the ball would hurt us at times because the opposing team could slack off knowing he wasn't going to shoot and if he did he wasn't an efficient shooter especially beyond the perimeter.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cards

Post by Cards »

Jojogunne wrote:Signed, sealed and delivered:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/5/9/men ... ogram.aspx

In his hands, that ball looks like the small ones used for girls elementary school games :shock: :lol:
garyg

Post by garyg »

Vermont lands 6-9 Perry Smith JR...nice get for them
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Vermont lands 6-9 Perry Smith JR...nice get for them
Dang!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

That hurts. Vermont is always competitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ugh, that stinks for sure. Vermont is what HU should be IMO. A conf dominator and perennial NCAAT qualifier. Hope we can get there some day soon.

That said, really like the recruits we have so far - plenty of fish in the sea.

As fas as the PG spot, quite an interesting discussion with the different viewpoints. Estrada was not HU's primary PG last year, he simply played point at times out of necessity, just like Burgess, Ray, Cooks, and Carlos, and anyone else HU needed to bring the ball up the floor because they couldn't get their act together last year. It was desperation not a long term strategy. PG by committee is awful, and leads right where HU went - cool story one-off wins, and to the couch during the NCAAT.

I don't want Estrada at point because besides not being a true floor general (vital for true success at the position) we all know the point of the PG is to DISTRIBUTE - it's not a score first mindset - it's the opposite - in no way shape or form do I want Estrada getting rid of the ball as a primary goal. I want Estrada receiving the ball to let loose and do his thing, not tying up his brain and feet trying to create for everyone else. He doesn't need to be point to help lead the offense.

I am surprised how many on here are still tossing Carlos to the side - some of you should go back and watch that kid slice and dice a top 10 elite 8 team on the road. Let's not get too crazy about his frosh year - he barely played. Let's see what he and Speedy can do together with more work. If we see no progression, then we can talk transition.

And no Buie and JWF were no stars yr 1, sorry. Watched them both very closely, and followed their entire recruitment and Sr seasons in HS. JWF nearly transferred after year 1. Kid got ZERO burn and looked like a lost kitten out there. All he could do was shoot in practice, and his shot STUNK in live games. Buie had slightly better tools, but was very unpolished early on. But looking past all that you could also envision with time they were going to be special.

I see similar for JC - he has stud potential just like the others, as long as he's willing to learn and put in the work.
garyg

Post by garyg »

As far as I know Sean Durugordon is still out there and
available...love to see staff land his commitment...
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Ugh, that stinks for sure. Vermont is what HU should be IMO. A conf dominator and perennial NCAAT qualifier. Hope we can get there some day soon.

As fas as the PG spot, quite an interesting discussion with the different viewpoints. Estrada was not HU's primary PG last year, he simply played point at times out of necessity, just like Burgess, Ray, Cooks, and Carlos, and anyone else HU needed to bring the ball up the floor because they couldn't get their act together last year. It was desperation not a long term strategy. PG by committee is awful, and leads right where HU went - cool story one-off wins, and to the couch during the NCAAT.

I don't want Estrada at point because besides not being a true floor general (vital for true success at the position) we all know the point of the PG is to DISTRIBUTE - it's not a score first mindset - it's the opposite - in no way shape or form do I want Estrada getting rid of the ball as a primary goal. I want Estrada receiving the ball to let loose and do his thing, not tying up his brain and feet trying to create for everyone else. He doesn't need to be point to help lead the offense.

I am surprised how many on here are still tossing Carlos to the side - some of you should go back and watch that kid slice and dice a top 10 elite 8 team on the road. Let's not get too crazy about his frosh year - he barely played. Let's see what he and Speedy can do together with more work. If we see no progression, then we can talk transition.

And no Buie and JWF were no stars yr 1, sorry. Watched them both very closely, and followed their entire recruitment and Sr seasons in HS. JWF nearly transferred after year 1. Kid got ZERO burn and looked like a lost kitten out there. All he could do was shoot in practice, and his shot STUNK in live games. Buie had slightly better tools, but was very unpolished early on. But looking past all that you could also envision with time they were going to be special.

I see similar for JC - he has stud potential just like the others, as long as he's willing to learn and put in the work.
Definitely agree with your JC takes here. My main reason for not thinking he will start out of the gate is there really is no reason to put that pressure on him and let him earn that starting spot with his play off the bench. Which I think he definitely will be mid season. No reason to rush his progress; especially if we can land an experienced PG to finish off this recruiting class.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Polito wrote:Ugh, that stinks for sure. Vermont is what HU should be IMO. A conf dominator and perennial NCAAT qualifier. Hope we can get there some day soon.

Definitely agree with your JC takes here. My main reason for not thinking he will start out of the gate is there really is no reason to put that pressure on him and let him earn that starting spot with his play off the bench. Which I think he definitely will be mid season. No reason to rush his progress; especially if we can land an experienced PG to finish off this recruiting class.
My opinion re Carlos is that he had seen a decent amount of time in some games this past year. He played 21 minutes vs John Jay where he hit his only 3 off the year, SAD. He also played 21 minutes against Monmouth which was his high scoring game getting 6 points. He doesn't need to be pampered and I believe he will be the starting PG when the season starts unless we get someone else. As I've said before here he will be given the position and it will be his to lose providing he doesn't play poorly during practices. He needs to be ready and I believe he will be. He can't play any worse then he did last year and I'm pulling for him as are others.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let's not leave out his performance against ARKANSAS! Granted that was one game, but it was a glimpse into his stud potential.

A little harsh there tc :) not sure he played that badly, but maybe my memory is off. Much still to be done, no argument there. I def want the PG to be a 3 threat, but that doesn't need to be the focus of his game - I can't stand this 3 obsession at Hofstra. It's ONE part of the game, and HU constantly acts like it's the only part. It's so ridiculous. And making that the only way you play and try to win is sometimes ok for single games, but it doesn't win championships. Hoping we can wake up to that fact.

Same page HM, I think that's a fair position - I'm not sure either that he is necessarily the starter day 1, but I do think he's going to have a chance to become the guy if he's ready and able. He deserves the shot. If he tanks it, so be it, move on. But need to give the kid a full year of opportunity before making that call. This is a big season for him and his future at HU.

Again, pulling for him! HU absolutely needs a true PG floor general to max it's success - and though Estrada will still run point at times, he isn't it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I did forget to mention the Arkansas game where he had 4 points and played 17 minutes. I did see him play at the Mack as I went to every home game also had Flo sports so I saw the away games as well. He was a step slow on D and he missed quite a few wide open 3's. He also had trouble with his floaters and I also think his ball handling skills could be improved. Polito he didn't play well so lets leave it at that but like you I have faith in his ability and his work ethic so lets see how it plays out.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Vermont lands 6-9 Perry Smith JR...nice get for them
ESPN grades on Smith and Lual Manyang are very similar!! http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... erry-smith
and Manyang http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... al-manyang

I can see why Speedy is so excited getting Lual in the fold.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully his ACL injury of the past does not come back to haunt him ....appears to have big time potential
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, a big get on paper, if he's healthy, he can be a monster.

TC, we're not too far off, pretty much the same page on Carlos as far as rooting for him and needing to see him show a lot more this season. He didn't have a standout first year, fully agree. Most of HU's stud guards have not. I think he handles the rock just fine, a strength of his, but will watch more closely this year. He couldn't find his O last year, and no question he'll need to prove he can put the ball in the basket going forward.

But this isn't only about Pts per game, and despite the one track mind HU's staff and some of this fanbase seem to have with 3's, it isn't only about behind the arc either - his game vs the Hogs in terms of being a floor leader was very strong. And THAT is the first and foremost need of the position. Run the O 1st, score the points as needed 2nd. And defend like a mama bear all game long :D

Regardless, much to improve on - hoping to see big things from him for sure. Either way, I think HU would be wise to add another PG to bolster things up. It is THE most important position for HU, they will not win anything worth a darn without top PG play in this system.

Really like the class so far, looking forward to see how the put a bow on it!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Are they in fact chasing an experienced PG or is this our team moving forward? That's the question. I'm hoping they're looking for a PG just don't know what we have with Carlos getting major minutes at the point. Such an enigma last season. What we don't want is another O liability like Burgess. We'll take the Burgess D but not his inept offense.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I think we are out of scholarships. Unless somebody leaves, this is the squad going forward.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're only using 12 scholarships right now if I'm counting correctly that's assuming that Marshall is a walk-on and I believe he's.