MBB Recruits 2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2022

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Nice exposure on Zagsblog:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/04/19/hof ... er-thomas/

We also have FR Khalil Farmer from Philly coming in next fall.

Would love us to add an experienced PG to handle the ball and play lock-down defense.
Remember Estrada played the point often, this kid Thomas was a PG in H.S. and I'm hoping that Carlos is in fact our starting PG. I'm really pulling for Carlos as I'm sure Speedy is. He was very disappointing last year but can and I believe will turn it around.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I believe/hope Carlos will turn things around next season...he was too good a player in HS and recruited by too many strong programs to drop this far...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:I believe/hope Carlos will turn things around next season...he was too good a player in HS and recruited by too many strong programs to drop this far...
Yes exactly it just doesn't make sense.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Pride97 wrote:Don’t know much about him, but 6’11 is a good start

https://twitter.com/lmanyang/status/151 ... xNGE1J4NIQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am told by a reliable source that we have signed a 7 footer from Blair Academy. I am assuming this is him
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
HU87 wrote:Great stuff in here:
https://phenomhoopreport.com/22-lual-ma ... cruitment/
“I’m grateful to earn an offer from UCSB,” Manyang said. “UCSB likes my skill set and the impact I can bring to the game, as well as my height, effort, and energy. Hofstra, La Salle, Siena, and others (continue to stay strong in his recruitment).

Manyang has already taken unofficial visits to Hofstra and Siena, as he got a chance to watch Hofstra’s practice and a scrimmage at Siena. But he also mentioned that there are schools that he will be visiting soon but nothing has been set since he just is getting back from his injury.

But after he takes his visit, it doesn’t seem like the 2022 senior center won’t take much longer in making his decision.
This seems like it's in our grasp-- go close it down Speedy!
It certainly could be and here he will get a lot of minutes but concerned as to what his injury is/was??
It was an ACL injury.
So next year we have two centers to split time, giving LM a year to come up to speed and get his feet wet. After that, the 5 spot should be his for big minutes for 3 more years.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes I like the timing and the tutelage from Iyiola. It’s been a while since we have a REAL center in here as a freshman. This potentially is very big.

Polito

Post by Polito »

THRILLED to swing back around to find some fantastic news on the recruiting front!! My two cents:

Thomas
Pluses: Essentially the best player in the NEC. Scorer on all levels. He LOVES to attack the lane / basket, and I LOVE that. Has a mid range game. Can hit the deep 3, but that isn't his only game, thankfully. Has real ups and can throw it down with some aggression. Runs the floor. Solid handle. Will easily fill Ray's spot, largely because there isn't anything to fill - Ray did nothing, and was sadly more of a detriment than a boost. Picking HU over over St. Bonaventure, Northeastern, Loyola Chicago, Indiana State, and Towson is a very solid win.

Flip Side: Not from a winning program - SHU stinks. Big dog on his team, can he play #2 with Estrada?? Still takes too many 3's, and some that are very questionable - we don't need that despite what this staff seems to think. How is his DEFENSE?? See zero footage to judge. Although he can replace Ray's (lack of) productivity, I don't know if he's enough to replace early Cooks. May not need to if this program can actually start to prioritize defense for once, just an observation. The success of this 'get' will 100% be predicated on whether or not he and Estrada can be what Cooks/Ray never were - a TEAM.

Manyang
Pluses: This dude is already a man. Monster. Should terrorize this league based on size alone. Highly coveted talent, with enormous ceiling. Was P5 capable before his injury (had legit WVU interest), and even after is easily an A10 level talent - LaSalle and VCU offers POST injury in '22. Comes from a historically top end program. Winning pedigree. Only playing 3 years and already top 10 NJ and the best big in the state (multiple reports on that). Tri-state talent, key to keeping local skill.

Flip Side: Just a frosh, so we'll have to temper expectations early. May not impact next year. Only 3 years playing ball, much still to learn and develop. Coming off injury - ACL is no joke, will he be back at the level expected / projected??

Overall, these are 2 really strong recruiting wins where Speedy & Co. went up against some very good staffs head to head and won. THAT is huge, a great sign, and what I have been holding out to see. They left a lot to be desired on the floor with their coaching year one, not impressed, so course correcting things by first winning on the trail is a vital step 1. I am very pleased so far, now would like to see them bring in a top notch PG and Forward (a crossover that can play small or big, 6'7 ish) to complete this class. I think they need to crush the portal for at least one of those - we need at least one more day 1 STUD.

Fully agree with garyg, and I said so not long ago, I think Carlos is not only coming back (felt confident Speedy would secure that), but I believe he is the PG and will be a big time player here. He is a stud. It's not a fluke. Just needs to go through his learning journey to mature into it. Just like countless superstar guards here before him.

This program is still not a champion yet from these signings, but def getting closer. Need to finish this class out strong - this needs to be one of, if not the best class to date for this program to turn this around and produce an NCAAT.
garyg

Post by garyg »

[quote="triplec2195"]Yes I like the timing and the tutelage from Iyiola. It’s been a while since we have a REAL center in here as a freshman. This potentially is very big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote Are both Iyiola and Simmons coming back next year ??
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think just Iyiola if I recall correctly??

Also, I would love Durugordon, but I don't think HU is a player - likely going slightly bigger, and looks like URI is the leader.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Simmons is done but we think Iyiola is coming back. This roster is filling out admirably and with a couple more players we should be looking very competitive. I think we need a PF type player maybe another 6'8 guy that can score in the paint and has a mid range game. Also possibly another PG as an insurance policy just in case.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks tc - fully agree, PG and a F will put the finishing touches on a super class.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hey Polito
Looks like we have your point guard.
6’6” German Plotnikov a Juco with 3 years of eligibility. Looks and sounds good.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Captain wrote:Hey Polito
6’6” German Plotnikov a Juco with 3 years of eligibility. Looks and sounds good.
https://twitter.com/PlotnikovGerm25
Captain

Post by Captain »

If the high school power forward from South Carolina commits we look very promising.
We have been on his final list for awhile. Would really complete the roster.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What are the stats on this kid. A big PG? Is this trouble for Carlos?

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Refresh our memory who’s the PF from S Carolina??

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I guess I have to answer my own questions. So I'm assuming this reference is for Perry Smith.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This kid Plotnikov is from Belarus and averaged 20.7 ppg playing 26 minutes, shot 40.2% from beyond the arc an 89% FT shooter but just 2.9 apg and 3.7 rebounds. Really nice stats but don't know anything about the C.C. that he played for? Really solid numbers.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Perry Smith jr. is the high schooler from South Carolina.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Captain wrote:Hey Polito
I don't know if he's a point guard, sound like a shooting guard. He doesn't rack up assists and doesn't have a good Ast/TO ratio, but sounds like can shoot.

He's No. 25 here: https://www.npccknights.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/roster

6’6', from Minsk, Belarus - good size (as a shooter, will be able to shoot over many CAA guards) and played U18 ball in Europe, which usually translates to good shooting and good fundamentals. Those who know him from there say he's a bucket getter. Here's an example: https://twitter.com/CBB_Europe/status/1 ... 7263602691

He can start playing next year and has three years left, so that's a big plus.

He sounds psyched to be playing here and ready to work: https://twitter.com/PlotnikovGerm25/sta ... 3525867521

The overall consistency (about 48% overall on about 15 shots per game, and over 20 ppg each year), over 80% at the line each year, along with the significant improvement from 3-point range (from 26% to 40% the following year), at North Platte (Nebraska) is very promising:
https://www.npccknights.com/sports/mbkb ... erman_wm40
https://region9athletics.com/sports/mbk ... tnikov7c34

JUCO or not, if you can shoot, you can shoot. So probably will be able to shoot in D-1 too.
Last edited by Wags on Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.