MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU87

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by HU87 »

Guys, I think JM is thinking big picture, as I think he should be. He got our "stop gap" guy in Koons. We HAVE the talent for next year. While this guy could come in for a year and have that be that, I think JM recognizes that this kid is leaving LaSalle due to PT, and he knows the kid isn't going to get more PT here with such a stacked roster.

I think JM also realizes that this team has expectations that he plans on meeting. In meeting those expectations, HU should get some substantial national spotlight this season and have (knock on wood) HUGE '16/'17 recruiting classes. He needs to make a splash this year and save those schollies for when the high talent becomes more of a possibility.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HU87 wrote:Guys, I think JM is thinking big picture, as I think he should be. He got our "stop gap" guy in Koons. We HAVE the talent for next year. While this guy could come in for a year and have that be that, I think JM recognizes that this kid is leaving LaSalle due to PT, and he knows the kid isn't going to get more PT here with such a stacked roster.

I think JM also realizes that this team has expectations that he plans on meeting. In meeting those expectations, HU should get some substantial national spotlight this season and have (knock on wood) HUGE '16/'17 recruiting classes. He needs to make a splash this year and save those schollies for when the high talent becomes more of a possibility.
I like your take and I pray it becomes reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HU87 wrote:Guys, I think JM is thinking big picture, as I think he should be. He got our "stop gap" guy in Koons. We HAVE the talent for next year. While this guy could come in for a year and have that be that, I think JM recognizes that this kid is leaving LaSalle due to PT, and he knows the kid isn't going to get more PT here with such a stacked roster.

Totally agree. He needs to balance the classes and adding a senior to the backcourt for this year will cause real problems. Look for some more roster moves before all is said and done IMO.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

correct, as anders noted earlier in the thread he would not have the minutes available to offer him
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Agree. This 15/16 team has a lot of the pieces in place to be a solid team and dare I say a spot in the NCAA. With that 15/16 success we should be able to get a spike up in recognition and hopefully a better chance at some better recruits (especially with the playing time spots that will open up in 16/17). I would expect the16/17 recruiting class will have a mix of some juco players that will play immediately and that will balance out the roster that will be in need of both scorers and athletes to replace Green, Tanksley, Koon, Nicols, Berardi and Robinson (arguably our best scores and athletes).
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fair points on meeting NCAA goals this yr and using that success to increase quality of the next recruiting classes - can't argue with that, I'm ALL for it - I've said for quite some time for HU in this NY environment it takes just one super yr in the spotlight to elevate your recruiting

BUT you damn sure better take care of business and get the job done this yr - expectations are HIGH, it's NCAA or bust - there is NO other measure of success this yr, NONE

That's why I would've pushed for another safety 1 yr kind of guy, but if they feel they have the pieces I have to trust the staff - it's their rear ends on the line here so to speak, so if this is the hand their playing then the best do whatever it takes to get the job done

all I know is, the expectations were not met last yr, and it's the same core group being depended on to do it this yr - that admittedly has made me a bit anxious to see them bring in one more piece - if not, the core group will need to have really improved their individual games, and then will need significant impact from the new post guys - a healthy Rokas and increased post production alone could catapult this team - improvement from the core guards/wings will send this team to the expected level

Bottom line is, this team must win it all, period.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hey Polito....send JAM an email with your expectations for upcoming season...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

he's right though, this team should be prohibitive favorites in the CAA this year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I agree he is right....there is no reason Hofstra should not make it to the big dance this upcoming season...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Fair points on meeting NCAA goals this yr and using that success to increase quality of the next recruiting classes - can't argue with that, I'm ALL for it - I've said for quite some time for HU in this NY environment it takes just one super yr in the spotlight to elevate your recruiting

BUT you damn sure better take care of business and get the job done this yr - expectations are HIGH, it's NCAA or bust - there is NO other measure of success this yr, NONE

That's why I would've pushed for another safety 1 yr kind of guy, but if they feel they have the pieces I have to trust the staff - it's their rear ends on the line here so to speak, so if this is the hand their playing then the best do whatever it takes to get the job done

all I know is, the expectations were not met last yr, and it's the same core group being depended on to do it this yr - that admittedly has made me a bit anxious to see them bring in one more piece - if not, the core group will need to have really improved their individual games, and then will need significant impact from the new post guys - a healthy Rokas and increased post production alone could catapult this team - improvement from the core guards/wings will send this team to the expected level

Bottom line is, this team must win it all, period.
Polito - Agree with you on almost all points - but it takes two - and I am not sure a one year guy would want to come here without being 100% sure that they were going to spotlighted our be a key component of a squad like Upshaw and Nesmith were (and Koon is now). This roster makes it tough to add another one and done player, in my opinion.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I disagree with the expectations not being met last year. I think the lofty goals weren't met, but the expectations were. 20 win season, postseason play, winning a bit in the CAA tournament. If those were your preseason bottom line expectations (and I think that was it for all of us), then they achieved them. Could they have done more? We all know they could have. It didn't happen. But that was ok. It definitely led them to this point. Now the expectations are much higher.
Polito

Post by Polito »

True, and fair, daHUPride - a quality guy will want minutes - not sure I was looking for a stud, just a serviceable guy who could add value in whatever min given - a challenge with a 5th yr as I agree, they will want some PT - but it is doable

And I will also counter with the question: how are there not enough minutes when they did it all of last yr with Nesmith? And this is the same core group of guards?

(the freshmen really shouldn't see much PT, and if they had an extra guy I would be all for redshirting them to learn, grow, and get bigger)

HH: good points also, from certain perspectives last yr was a success - the team is back to winning, 20 win season and some kind of postseason were goals and they were met - and the team and staff are built on the right foundation, and they are very easy to root for, seemingly all-around great quality people in the program - THAT is a HUGE success

The counter, and of course no team/season is perfect, is that they were a team expected to be in the top 3 with a legit shot to take the conf, they played AWFUL at home (so much so fans stopped coming around), they won 20 against absolutely crap teams, lost to every decent team they played/no signature wins, and dropped what should've been a relatively easy game against a mid-pack AE team in a weak tournament...at home.

I do agree the expectations are MUCH higher this yr. MUCH. No excuses this yr, it's time to take care of business.
garyg

Post by garyg »

JAM update....In Georgia for Adidas and Nike camps and then in St. Louis for a JC camp....will be back Sunday night....these guys spend endless hours on the road
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito - Koon is going to get most of Nesmith's minutes, and Djambo will get most of Kone's. Then add the freshmen and you'd think some more Walker, and possibly more Robinson as well, who had his minutes cut in half last year.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

IMO its important that the freshman guards get some floor time this year. I don't want it to be at the expense of winning games and getting to the NCAA tourney, but if we are really building for this year and beyond then I want them to get some experience this year. Green and Tanksley will be gone next year and I would hate for them to start learning the speed of the game at the college level at that point.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If Buie is as good as msg says, we won't be able to keep him off the floor. The best talent plays - this isn't little league
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

One other thing if I remember correctly Wright Forman was listed at 6ft2 in the recruiting sites. He is now listed as 6ft even on the Hofstras website. isnt 6ft small for a shooting guard. Is Buie really 6ft.again not worried about their offense but how will their D hold up against the bigger CAA guards.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

cactus wrote:Polito - Koon is going to get most of Nesmith's minutes, and Djambo will get most of Kone's. Then add the freshmen and you'd think some more Walker, and possibly more Robinson as well, who had his minutes cut in half last year.
Once again will this make us a stronger team than last year? May come down to freshman play and development of big men.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

bobe13 wrote:
cactus wrote:Polito - Koon is going to get most of Nesmith's minutes, and Djambo will get most of Kone's. Then add the freshmen and you'd think some more Walker, and possibly more Robinson as well, who had his minutes cut in half last year.
Once again will this make us a stronger team than last year? May come down to freshman play and development of big men.
I think so overall. Plus they have another year of experience playing together, and the league is not as strong having graduated Thornton, Etherton, and losing Lee to transfer.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Couldn't agree more. The year of experience together is invaluable. Green, Tanksley and Bernardi should be running on all cylinders this year. Throw in the fact that we will have a senior laden team, (Green, Tanksley, Nichols, Koon, Djambo) the hunger to make the tourney should be at an all time high.