Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by joeg1 »

Buie and JWF are new guards who will play in the fall
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Have to say, that's a bit disappointing - that means they are going to fully rely on the same guards to win this conf, and based on what we saw last yr, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence - I know they'll add Djambo and now Koon, which I thought was a good pickup, but is that really enough?? What if Koon isn't 100%?

I just really expected a LOT more in this recruiting period - there were a gazillion transfers and 5th yr guys, on top of Jucos galore, and the best they got was 1 guy coming off a major injury...

To me the staff dropped the ball here - this team needed an immediate impact wing guy to help them win the CAA this yr - they addressed the big man, admittedly a bigger need, but with a risk guy and then no one to fill the guard spot - I don't know... Not impressed

They can talk all they want about winning the conference, but when you finish 5th after being picked as a legit top 3 contender, and you beat no one of quality even with a crappy schedule, that doesn't give a warm and fizzy feeling when you then couldn't bring in the talent level needed to elevate to the desired level of getting to the dance

Really hope Djambo and Koon turn out to be MAJOR impact guys
Polito you forgot that we landed two of the top City guards including Buie who is a legitimate first team all NYC player...not shabby. True we lose some experience in Nesmith but these two guards could be lightening in a bottle...jolting our offense. In addition Koon is not really a banger, more of a SF guy who can shoot. Word is he is healthy and ready to go. Who knows who may add with the last scholarship...Ya never know!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Recruiting top players is one thing -- getting them on the court is something else. We leaned heavily on our three transfers last year and the strain showed. We need to give our new players consistent playing time, even if it means cutting back on the starters' minutes.
budman

Post by budman »

WE need to learn how to play team defense and that is on the coach.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not forgetting the 2 new guards at all, I've been touting them as GREAT gets - but they are small and will be freshman - this team needs an experienced wing guy 6'5-6'6 ish to come in and make an immediate impact by either a) scoring buckets b) playing lockdown d or c) both

That's what I see as the missing piece for this squad to take the title and get to the dance - that scholly should've been filled with that exact player by now - hearing the focus being on a transfer that has to sit is not what this team needs

And quite frankly, there were a BOATLOAD of quality 5th yr guys available, a TON of talented transfers, and who knows how many Juco, and many of them were the right fits with NY ties - bottom line is the staff has not been able to get it done with a KEY scholly, and that to me is very disappointing

Green Tanksley and Bernardi are talented to a certain extent and very thankful to have them at HU - but I did not see enough from them that screams they can win it all and get to the dance - or even worse that they have the fire and passion to do it - u fortunately I saw them lose every game to anyone of quality (and there weren't that many, and they weren't even that good) - then they blew a hone game to a very average or worse AE team in a cake tourney that they really should've WON

So, i love this staff and team, great great guys, but yes, I believe they are dropping the ball here and they need to bring in a guy to help get over the hump.
garyg

Post by garyg »

At this point coach indicated he has 3 planned visits for June & he is hoping for a 4th...sorry Polito, all these players are transfers and would be required to sit out next season....coach looking ahead to the fact that we lose 3 players [Tanksley, Nichols, & Koon] at wing position and this potential transfer would help bridge the gap...looks like we will have to make do with 12 players ticketed for next years roster along with one guy sitting out
Cards

Post by Cards »

Looks like much will hinge on contributions/performances of Djambo and Koon for this year. Then much of next year will depend on how well Buie and JWF do this year (hopefully they can get needed playig time and do well with it, because without some unexpected or key signings next year, these two will be major cogs in the 2016/2017 season).

As I have stated before, I am comfortable with the 12 we have as long as we get playing time and good performances from the bigs. Both PT and peformance will hinge on individual performance and JAMs use of the upfront talent we have for the upcoming season.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

One of those potential transfers is probably Kahlil Dukes from USC.

Kahlil Dukes ‏@kahlildukes 25m25 minutes ago
MY TOP 5

Niagara, Longwood, Hofstra, Maine, & 5th undetermined.

https://twitter.com/kahlildukes/status/ ... 8353521665
https://twitter.com/HoopDreamsMag/statu ... 1719552000
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride wrote:One of those potential transfers is probably Kahlil Dukes from USC.

Kahlil Dukes ‏@kahlildukes 25m25 minutes ago
MY TOP 5

Niagara, Longwood, Hofstra, Maine, & 5th undetermined.

https://twitter.com/kahlildukes/status/ ... 8353521665
https://twitter.com/HoopDreamsMag/statu ... 1719552000
Do we need another small guard?
Captain

Post by Captain »

I remember seeing video about him when we recruited him in high school and he reminded me of Allen Iversen. I was surprised he didn't see more action at USC.
By the time he sits out a year Juanya is gone and the point belongs to Buie and possibly Gonzalez. I'm sure the staff is not just bringing him in to be polite. There must be legitimate interest on our side.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra finally announced the addition of Denton Koon.
http://gohofstra.com/news/2015/5/5/MBB_0505153319.aspx
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Captain wrote:I remember seeing video about him when we recruited him in high school and he reminded me of Allen Iversen. I was surprised he didn't see more action at USC.
By the time he sits out a year Juanya is gone and the point belongs to Buie and possibly Gonzalez. I'm sure the staff is not just bringing him in to be polite. There must be legitimate interest on our side.
he's a talented kid...there will be 5 schollys open after this year to add bigger guys. i'd be pleased with the overall recruiting job this year if he came here.
Cards

Post by Cards »

below is link to HS video for Dukes. Obviously the kid is talented....agree with Allen Iverson comparison.

Will we need another PG with Buie slated for that spot? I think the level of talent of both Buie and Dukes would be a plus to have on the roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxOtqXiZLIg

Hopefully, next year we can pick up a transfer big tht can play immediately. Not counting any freshman we may bring in, Gustys and Walker will be our only experienced bigs.....in fact, the next biggest player would be Robinson at 6'5". After this year there will be a real need (unless we get a stud freshman big.....how likely is that??)
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Not sure what happened at USC, but the kid has skills. If he can put it together with Buie, we could have an excellent backcourt for a few years. If we can land him, like Cards said, we need to focus on a big guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

If this kid is so talented why is the interest in him not greater?? We are talking Longwood, Maine, Niagara
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Because he is 6ft and 170. That is what he is listed at. For all we know he is 5ft10 and 150. Another small guard with a slight frame. Talented but did not prove himself at the major level.Maybe Hofstra is the right fit for him.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If he does transfer to Hofstra you can bet Gonzales will transfer out
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I have a concern that we are overloading on two and one year transfer players. These seem like stop gap desperate measures since we didn't get the freshman recruits we wanted. I believe next year we will have either four or five openings due to graduations.

Thoughts from the board??
garyg

Post by garyg »

I do not think so....each year the transfer market becomes more attractive....we will have 5 seniors leaving us so as long as they bring in at least 3 freshman I am ok with what they are doing
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Hopefully Koons turns out to be another Bill Bradley who by the way played under Butch Van Breda Kolff at Princeton. For you youngsters on the board Bill went on to a storied career for the Knicks and Butch was our coach for a few years.