Game 1 - @Houston, 11/9/21, 8 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Game 1 - @Houston, 11/9/21, 8 PM EST

Post by Polito »

They showed big time poise and actually came out confident and prepared - something lacking in the past. For this I am pretty excited. They are not in awe, and they played very aggressive - I am all in on that, and the man D was a sight to behold - that to me is the difference right from the start. HU can win a lot with that kind of D effort.

I don't love being a 3 only team again - zero offense except behind the arc - they need to find some balance, inside, driving the lane, finishing in contact, mid-range, etc.

The one thing that can help them though even if that's their O game, is their D - THAT is what was missing from JM - can't just be a 3 chucking team with no D - but if you can play aggressive on that end of the floor, it changes the dynamic and it can work. Still, I'd like to see a more comprehensive offense.

In the end, I'm over moral victories, and not playing that game anymore with this program. This was a blown opp, period. No one expected to be in it, I called a blowout and was totally wrong, but when the game changes like that then so do the expectations. It's meaningless what was supposed to happen, it matters what did. HU has to win that game, and I hope Speedy is pissed - not angry at his players or anything but I want him pissed at choking. This has to become unacceptable and the standard is to win big games and championships.

Really disappointed we won't hear his post-game, because I REALLY want to hear how much he values winning and finishing vs the typical HU dopey doh we're thrilled to have played a big program deal, but hopefully that means he's coaching up the team in a big way.

Cooks, like we all hoped and expected, can flat out ball. He is going to terrorize this league. Kid nearly won the game by himself. Estrada, Speedy called it, he's another big talent for this program - gonna help HU win a lot of games.

Cramer played poorly in some key ways, but boy did he come up BIG in big spots too - I was super impressed with his end of game impact with 4 fouls - SO much potential it's not even funny - but it's already year 2, it goes quick - TP needs to help him become a better player - he HAS to learn to play proper D, and he HAS to have some offense. He could be unstoppable in the CAA, but his poor O and over fouling continues when it needs to be getting better. He needs to get to work, not enough was done in the offseason. C'mon Cramer, your game has to develop young man, don't waste your gifts.

Dubar was less than I hoped game 1, but had some bright spots. PLS Simmons be ok, and PLS Ray heal fast!!!

If this team has any real champ chops, they should down Duquesne by double digits. If that game is close it will completely negate this showing. Let's see how consistent Speedy can produce with his first team... let's play with a chip now and get some Ws
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Speedy postgame: “they should have won this game and I’m posted off that we didn’t”

Hope that’s how they all feel going into game #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: They showed big time poise and actually came out confident and prepared - something lacking in the past.
Well, until the end - that's where all that poise turned into just the opposite. They seemed to get scared of the big moment as Houston made its run late.
But again, I wonder how a veteran like Ray, who's hit some big shots before, being on the floor might have helped with that poise down the stretch. Can't know.
Polito wrote: The one thing that can help them though even if that's their O game, is their D - THAT is what was missing from JM - can't just be a 3 chucking team with no D - but if you can play aggressive on that end of the floor, it changes the dynamic and it can work. Still, I'd like to see a more comprehensive offense.
This was true for too many years under JM, but not when they finally won the CAA tourney - they actually won during that season and especially that tourney because of their D a lot more than because of their offense. And the strange thing is that it was because of their really good zone D that they did that. Last year, that zone D became a problem again and the reason they led tonight for most of the game was because of the new man D, which for this team, is the right thing. But whether you want to give JM or Farrelly credit, or both, it was their D that finally got them a CAA tourney title under JM.
Polito wrote: In the end, I'm over moral victories, and not playing that game anymore with this program. This was a blown opp, period.
Agree especially when you are the better team for the vast majority of the game (which they were tonight), no matter who you're playing, and regardless of expectations and point spreads going into the game. But a lot to build on tonight. This was a "worthwhile loss" IF they take good things from it and it helps them later on (TBD). And I can also give it a pass if only because: 1) No Ray, 2) First game for this HC and this staff as constructed, and 3) a bunch of new guys playing their first game together.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Speedy postgame: “they should have won this game and I’m pissed off that we didn’t”

Hell YESSSSSS now THATS what I’m talking about Speedy - this program needs some edge - champions always hate to lose - no one cares about spreads and favorites in the end - when the game is yours you damn sure gotta take it - it’s amazing to hear Saban after a Bama game, you’d think they stunk - but that’s the mentality of the top in the game in any sport and and HU needs it badly - love to see this from Speedy, might seem silly to some but that’s the stuff I’m looking for and gets me excited about having the right guy at the helm - that made my night, and gives me a boost of confidence in him

(Thanks for posting that P97)

Big well wishes and full fast healing to Simmons and Ray

Now get nasty this week and go kick some duke rear end this weekend Speedy. Let’s take this program up a notch - it’s time to raise the bar.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

High praise from Kelvin Sampson:

https://twitter.com/KPRC2RandyMc/status ... TiJsA&s=19

Very impressive performance, bad ending and all, especially considering they did this without Jalen Ray. If he plays, I think we would we would have been the talk of college basketball across the country this morning.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

MISSING - RAY and SIMMONS was huge - SIMMONS iced and bandaged knee was on the bench after getting banged up
CURIOUS - we essentially played 7 guys (with SIMMONS and RAY out) - and BETHEA got no run
FRESHMAN - CARLOS no minutes
NEW ADDITION(S) - we started 4 transfers (along with BURGESS) - COOKS can play (Houston announcer said COOKS could play on any team in the country) - ESTRADA was cool customer; surprisingly (at least to me) ESTRADA handle the ball and started the offense much of the time; IYIOLA played better then I anticipated - moves OK, battled but needs to add some bulk; DUBAR boarded OK a bit lost on O - (must have step out of bounds 3-4 times)
OLD GUARD - BURGESS made a nice pass or two but expected more; SILVERIO started off like a different player, finished like the Omar we know and dont love; CRAMER didnt start so I assume he was limited; but gave quality minutes

HOUSTON they out sized us, we battle but the longer the game went the odds of us winning went down; when they started playing Houston D - they were a (and we were) different teams
HOUSTON ANNOUNCERS seemed very impressed in beating us (although we were 18 point dogs) - made some doupy comments about Hofstra and our shooting while we were up double digits - true (expectedly) homers

FREE THROWS Good News - we were perfect from the stripe - Bad News - we got to the line 5 times!!! (Houston went the line 25 times-thank God Houston sucked from the line - if they were perfect from the line we'd have lost by 18!!!)
IMPRESSED think we will always have trouble with big teams BUT we battled and should be fine in CAA
SPEEDY deserved this W - liked his sideline demeanor (while we were up and losing)
IVE SEEN THIS BEFORE COOKS, ESTRADE, DUBAR (deservingly) almost the entire game

I FEEL this game will benefit us down the road against other beatable Out of Conference Teams - Iona, Richmond, Detroit, Princeton, Bucknell, Stony Brook, Monmouth (WE have BRUTAL OC Schedule)

I was pissed we lost
And - agree - no moral victory
But - I did like much of what i saw last night - from a 1st time head coach and new players that were on the court 70% of the time - no one spit the bit
Wags

Post by Wags »

Silverio is like the QB who is only so good but who thinks he can make every pass and often throws incompletions and INTs when forcing throws he can't make.

When Silverio takes the shots he should, he can make a decent number of them and be a nice spark off the bench. But his shot selection is often terrible.

However, if Cooks and Estrada consistently show what they did last night (or better) and with Ray coming back, Silverio won't see close to the minutes he saw last night and should, by default, be relegated to being that spark role off the bench with only limited shots. But even with that, the staff needs to get him to take only the shots he should rather than whatever shots he wants. There is no reason he should have been taking the most shots overall and from 3 on the team last night, especially with Cooks doing what he did.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Cooks and Estrada are the real deals, them and Ray together are going to be a nightmare matchup. Nobody on the team had more than 3 assists, really speaks to the lack of a true distributor, Ray will only help ball movement.

Cramer is chaotic but when he's on the floor good things happen. It's not pretty but I trust his defense and his ability to be a disruptive mismatch. I'm surprised he didn't get more time. Pleasantly surprised with Dubar as well, he was also a bit all over the place, don't believe in the shot yet but he can definitely be a force at the CAA level. Both of these guys, again, could really use a high-level Juan'ya Green type passer to get them the ball in the right spots rather than have to create for themselves.

The hustle was outstanding, Iyiola gave good minutes. Unless Houston is just mediocre this year (which I doubt) if our guys can give the same effort at the CAA level, they will win a lot of games.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Sorry, I take some responsibility for the loss. Was at MSG to watch the Champions Classic (MSU/KU) when I decided to check HU score. 62-51 with about 8 to play. So I decided to watch balance on friends phone (ESPN+) Don't know how they built the lead but from then on they were awful. Mush!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I know we deserved to win and the loss was terribly disappointing, but if you had told me that we would take Houston to overtime, I would’ve said I’ll have what you’re having.

Also, in a game this close, any of the previous missed shots, turnovers, etc. would have made the difference.

Overall, tremendous effort and coaches have a lot “teachable moments” to use going forward. Speedy will be referring this game every game for the rest of the season.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

My take on the game is this We were missing our best and most experienced player Our second best player is still either injured or trying to find his game We didnt shoot well and had late game scoring drought that has plagued us since last year also we were breaking in new transfers and a new defense I hate moral victories and this is game we should have won Still hopefully we learn from this and win a few games inthe OOC Cook is a baller and should run things I want the ball in his hands Also the big men held their own TP will get them to play better and by the conference schedule they should be a good fit for our guards
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Sorry, I take some responsibility for the loss. Was at MSG to watch the Champions Classic (MSU/KU) when I decided to check HU score. 62-51 with about 8 to play. So I decided to watch balance on friends phone (ESPN+) Don't know how they built the lead but from then on they were awful. Mush!
What was it like to root for a guy you used to root against (Tyson Walker)? Of course, happens a lot with pro teams we root for, but not too often in college.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Is the Houston game available to stream on demand on ESPN+? If so, for how long? Thanks.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:Is the Houston game available to stream on demand on ESPN+? If so, for how long? Thanks.
Yes it is available now but no idea how long it will be available.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hope Simmons is ok. Any word?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would love updates on him and Ray... HU full strength this weekend or what?? Nice opps coming up here to get some wins.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hard to say how the whole game would have played out, but I just feel if we had Ray the last 5 minutes, we would have closed the deal. He came up huge in the upset at UCLA and the CAA title game. Has the nerves of a burglar. Does not shy from the big moments. We needed a steady hand to get it done. Crying shame we let it slip away, but it should create a lot of belief in the locker room going forward.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Salivating to see Ray Cooks and Estrada together - REALLY hoping Ray is going to be ok and back to full strength soon