Game 2 - Sacred Heart

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Game 2 - Sacred Heart

Post by Cards »

There is supposed to be live video stream of tonight's game. Hope the video quality is decent and the quality of play is excellent! :D
Polito

Re: Game 2 - Sacred Heart

Post by Polito »

Obviously looking for a much better game all-around from HU.

SHU is not like a CSU in terms of team experience or talent - after a couple of solid winning seasons, they will likely have a tough go this yr in the NEC and finish toward the bottom of the 10 team league. They probably will use a 3-4 guard set so the 1-3 will be busy tonight. Their SG and Wing have some ability and can score (6'3 Mcknight in particular). They run a small lineup typically, with a new Juco guy that Stu brought up at one time named Joey Lopez from Broward in the middle - strong 6'7ish PF type - good rebounder, not a big scorer

That said, if Rok is ready to ... well, ROCK lol, then they should feed him heavy right from tip-off - and if not, then Sabety should be in there with the same game plan - if both feeling good, I would use both equally and liberally all night - they do not have anyone who can stop either of those mountains, and I expect big games from both.

This will open up the guards for a nice inside-out game. I imagine there will be 3's to be had tonight, although I'm hoping they also focus on penetrating as SHU is not big in the post and HU's guards need to develop some flow with that kind of play for other opponents. Not trying to knock SHU, and HU is certainly nowhere close to taking any game easy, but I am expecting an easier time in this game than the first. Should be a good opp for both players and staff to continue working out kinks, and honing in on becoming a well-oiled machine.

I am expecting to see every player that HU wants to play this yr hit the floor at some point, and hoping this is much more relaxing as a fan than game 1 :D GO PRIDE!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Different starting 5 today, Greer, Powers, Pemberton, Gustys, Bernardi.

New CAA commissioner Joe D'Antonio is at SHU supporting Hofstra. Did Tom Yeager ever go to an away game to support Hofstra?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

How do this game go full stream? Trying to make it full screen, but not sure how to switch it..
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Hofstra, try the rectangle on the lower right corner along the black colored bar under the image.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

SHU is already shooting better than 70%, they're up 29-22. Their leading scorer Quincy McKnight is already having a field day, just like pretty much every leading scorer does against us :roll: they're outrebounding us pretty badly as well, absolutely should not be the case.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra is up 43-41 at the half, Pemberton with 18 points in the first 20 minutes. STUD.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Hofstra is up 43-41 at the half, Pemberton with 18 points in the first 20 minutes. STUD.
Pemberton has 38 pts on 12/18 fg, 8/12 from 3, in the first 3 halves of his college basketball career. How's THAT for a start?!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We are disgraceful defensively.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:We are disgraceful defensively.
Shouldn't surprise. JAM's teams, since Niagara, have always tried to win by outscoring and rarely locking down.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

1 player from SHU just scored 8 consecuve points on 2 3's and 2 FTs to give them the lead with 24 seconds left. Bad foul and turnover for Bernardi.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The staff has some serious thinking to do. We just lost a game where we shot over 50% from the field and over 60% of 3's because of their refusal to play defense. We have legitimately the best rebounder in the country and were badly outrebounded by a northeast conference team. Absolutely no excuse to have given up that many points to Sacred Heart. Blew a decent lead in the final minutes too, seems like it's the same story every game, nothing ever changes. Out-scored 14-1 in the final 3:43 of the game. That is alarming.

At least Bernardi looked better tonight in terms of shooting. Horrible decision making by him down the stretch though.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

That's what they end up with to try for the win, down 86-85? Buie, who was 2/8, with a runner that didn't have a prayer, instead of going to their best scorer in Pemberton or maybe to Gustys or Bernardi? Then down 88-85, with enough time (:05.4), a rushed 3 from 40 feet, instead of a couple of quick passes for a reasonable 3 for Pemberton or Bernardi? THEN, they get bailed out on a ridiculous call and Powers misses the first of three FTs and then trying to miss on purpose, down two, is called for a violation on the shot?

Miserable ending all the way around. Just embarrassing lack of execution down the stretch to GIVE the game away. But a meaningless game, so learn something from it all for when it matters, after December.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Interesting game to say the least. Starting Eli Pemberton was for sure the right move by JM. He played excellent in the first game against Coppin State and really had an awesome first debut. Gave some confidence that we have a consistent 3-point shooter in our hands :)

I have one big problem. Where is Sabety?? Coach won't put him in... kind of crazy. We have a big guy with great jumping legs and extreme power when it comes to rebounding and blocking. Of course, Rok does a great job, we know that, but what is going on.... I'd like to see more of Sabety. In the spurts that we have seen Sabety, the crowd goes wild and he is awesome. I can imagine the only people happy about him not getting time are the other teams :)

Giving Rok and Sabety equal playing time across games will wreck the other teams with spurts of blocks and rebounds between both big guys. If we have a big powerful guy, we gotta use him. No reason not to. This is my one concern for this season so far. Anyone agree?

Bernardi looks like he is back in it this game and had great improvement from last week. This is the Bernardi we remember from last year! I wonder how JM will pay him and Pemberton from here-on. Tonight's layout between the two seemed pretty good.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

How many times can Bernardi turn the ball over late in games? Holy heck.. He did this last year, and he is already starting to do it again this year.

We had no business losing this game, its actually pathetic that we did. We won't be good this year, but I didnt expect to be losing to Sacred Heart..
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We clearly don't take these games seriously. It was a pathetic effort.

Sacred Heart is so bad, just like Coppin State, they are two of the worst teams in America this year. We decided not to play defense in either game. Should have lost the Coppin game too honestly, we were extremely lucky to win that one. I think we've been significantly outplayed in both games. Props to those two programs for being ready to play right out of the gate.

Pemberton has been a bright spot, but having him and Bernardi on the court down the stretch is such a massive liability on the defensive side of the ball. Buie has to be the starting PG, last shot aside, he's been a good player on both sides of the court. Saw some good things from Greer tonight, but he's not the athlete I thought he would be coming in. We look like we can have some offensive potential if we move the ball, but our defense has gotten worse, I really thought it would improve a little bit with a deeper bench, and an assumption that better athletes would be getting more minutes.

Obviously the coaching staff is trying to get a rotation together here, and Rokas is definitely nursing a hand injury, but if we're going to blow a 9 point lead to Sacred Heart in the final five minutes, the floor is extremely low on this season.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

An embarrassing way to lose, and quite pathetic honestly. Defense and free throws might never fully change, but need to at least improve in the slightest if they want a chance of winning any conference games. The fact is though this team is certainly a TEAM. I love watching Sabety replace the rok when he needs a breather. It's absolutely great knowing that Rokas has a legitimate backup. And Buie and JWF look comfortable on the court, and it's great watching Bernardi start to regain some confidence in not only the 3 ball, but driving the lane. And of course Pemberton is a diamond in the rough. As comfortable as any senior on the court. This team has depth and talent all around. A disappointing loss, but I expect another fun season of Hofstra Basketball. This team offers that for sure.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

We can now stop saying that Hofstra is "better than" another team or "should beat" anyone. I know it's early and meaningless in the long run, but it was a terrible way to finish a game and exposed some issues.

Guess the hope is that they can use this to fix things going forward.

Northeastern beat UConn and we lost to Sacred Heart. Guess we are in really different places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Losing to an 8th place NEC team and giving up 90 friggin points in the process hardly qualifies as 'exciting' - what it does qualify for is embarrassing.

The way this staff and program continue to completely disregard defense of any kind is an insult to be game of basketball and it's a slap in the face to those of us who are dedicating our time and money to help this program increase awareness and attendance ... FOR FREE. And this kind of L is one reason why that is so difficult to do.

I don't demand winning - but I damn sure expect everyone in this program to treat ALL facets of this game seriously in exhange for our support. I don't think that's too much to ask - matter of fact I think it's a very fair trade.

*90* points to Sacred Heart folks. I know, it's OoC and "doesn't matter" ... yeah that's the exact attitude that causes disgusting losses like this. Make excuses all you want but that team is terrible and this was a horrid loss. Do not be fooled otherwise. If you think CSU is bad (and they really aren't that bad) then SHU is like a HS team in comparison. At this pace Kentucky will score a buck 50 and destroy HU by 75 on national television.

Get it together team and staff.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JAM blamed the horrendous defense for the loss in post-game remarks. We've all heard similar comments from him before, when will it actually change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVyvZM_FbQM