Men's Basketball OOC Opponents' Topic

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Men's Basketball OOC Opponents' Topic

Post by EvanJ »

Indiana State was trailing at halftime to a bad Drake team, but Indiana State now leads by 8 with 5:40 left. South Carolina was down 10 at halftime and trails Georgia by 6 with 5:17 left.

Edit: Drake was 308th in the RPI with no away wins going into the game, and they still don't have any away wins. Indiana State won 63-56. Georgia increased their lead and beat South Carolina 69-56.
Dooku25

Re: Men's Basketball OOC Opponents' Topic

Post by Dooku25 »

Big win for the Bonnies tonight at St Joe's. With that win, St Bonaventure moves up to 45th in RPI which means Hofstra currently has 3 top 50 wins under it's belt. Not bad!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Dooku25 wrote: Big win for the Bonnies tonight at St Joe's. With that win, St Bonaventure moves up to 45th in RPI which means Hofstra currently has 3 top 50 wins under it's belt. Not bad!
St. Bonaventure was a 6 point underdog and won by 10.
To put Hofstra's 3 Top 50 RPI wins into perspective, out of the 75 teams in the top six conferences, 27 (36 percent) have at least 3 Top 50 RPI wins. Among the teams who don't have 3 Top 50 RPI wins are:

Duke, the defending champion
Kentucky, who had the best regular season last season
Indiana, who is tied for first in the Big Ten

Also of note is that South Carolina hasn't played any Top 50 RPI teams yet. That's hard to do at this point in the season for a Southeastern Conference team. South Carolina's opponent with the fewest losses is Hofstra.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The Bonnies looked good on Sunday beating Richmond, 84-68. Our good friend Tom Pecora provided the color commentary.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This season is looking increasingly more impressive for us as the weeks go by. Besides having the 3 top 50 RPI wins, we only have 1 loss to a team with an RPI worse than 100, and that's Indiana State, currently at 122 which isn't too bad.
Does any other CAA team have 3 top 50 wins, or even more than 1, for that matter? Or have no losses to a team worse than 125 in the RPI?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

ProudofPride wrote:This season is looking increasingly more impressive for us as the weeks go by. Besides having the 3 top 50 RPI wins, we only have 1 loss to a team with an RPI worse than 100, and that's Indiana State, currently at 122 which isn't too bad.
Does any other CAA team have 3 top 50 wins, or even more than 1, for that matter? Or have no losses to a team worse than 125 in the RPI?
That Indiana State loss really sucks. We had that game too.
Polito

Post by Polito »

It was a very frustrating loss... but it's in the past, can't concern about what can't be changed - fortunately not the worst loss in the world, thanks to the quality of that conference

Man, go St Bon! St Joes is LEGIT, so that was a big W

USC has lost a couple recently, but they are still a very good team - I could see them going to the Sweet 16, very well balanced and experienced group

FSU playing pretty well, and getting lots of ink for their tremendous freshmen duo

Those 3 can continue to help HU with strong finishes
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: Does any other CAA team have 3 top 50 wins, or even more than 1, for that matter? Or have no losses to a team worse than 125 in the RPI?
The rest of the CAA has three Top 50 RPI wins combined: UNC Wilmington over William & Mary, Towson over William & Mary, and Northeastern over Miami (FL). There are 32 conferences, and Hofstra is the only team in a conference ranked 8th or worse with three Top 50 RPI wins. 30 out of 351 teams have at least three Top 50 RPI wins. Here is the worst loss for each CAA team:

Hofstra: Indiana State (123rd), 0 losses outside the Top 125, 1 loss outside the Top 100
UNC Wilmington: Towson (178th), 4 losses outside the Top 125, 4 losses outside the Top 100
William & Mary: Howard (300th), 2 losses outside the Top 125, 2 losses outside the Top 100
James Madison: Tennessee-Martin (244th), 1 loss outside the Top 125, 3 losses outside the Top 100
Towson: La Salle (228th), 3 losses outside the Top 125, 3 losses outside the Top 100
College of Charleston: Drexel (243rd), 2 losses outside the Top 125, 3 losses outside the Top 100
Elon: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (146th), 2 losses outside the Top 125, 2 losses outside the Top 100
Northeastern: Miami (Ohio) (238th), 4 losses outside the Top 125, 6 losses outside the Top 100
Drexel: San Diego (291st), 6 losses outside the Top 125, 8 losses outside the Top 100
Delaware: Boston College (205th), 6 losses outside the Top 125, 7 losses outside the Top 100

That's an average of exactly 3 losses outside the Top 125 and 3.9 losses outside the Top 100. I'm not checking on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if William & Mary is the only team to have the best RPI in its conference and the worst loss in its conference. My source is www.warrennolan.com and other sources may vary.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Thanks! This reiterates just how impressive this season has been.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

On Saturday, Indiana State lost to Bradley, which was Bradley's third win. Bradley is 295th in the RPI.
Polito

Post by Polito »

true, but gotta be fair and also note USC's big win over #8 Texas A&M Evan. That will certainly help HU's OOC SOS

Can't just pick the bad man, even I don't do that!
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:On Saturday, Indiana State lost to Bradley, which was Bradley's third win. Bradley is 295th in the RPI.
It was actually their fourth win (third vs. D-1). They're 4-22 overall.

As awful as the Braves are right now, I have to stick up for my former school! (transferred from Bradley to Hofstra).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: On Saturday, Indiana State lost to Bradley, which was Bradley's third win. Bradley is 295th in the RPI.
It was actually their fourth win (third vs. D-1). They're 4-22 overall.

As awful as the Braves are right now, I have to stick up for my former school! (transferred from Bradley to Hofstra).
I was looking at Bradley's record towards their RPI, and I didn't look for non-Division I wins. Indiana State has fallen to 156th, so Hofstra now has a loss outside of the Top 150.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Indiana State is down to 170th in the RPI, and Florida State fell out of the Top 50, so in a few days Hofstra went from having four Top 50 RPI wins to one Top 50 RPI win.
Polito

Post by Polito »

yeah, need FSU to finish strong and have a good ACC tourney
hualum

Post by hualum »

need FSU to finish strong? why?

We are not getting an at large EVER. we can go undefeated rest of the way, win the CAA Outright and lose in 3 OT in the CAA Final to UNCW and still not get an at-large. We need to win in Baltimore, otherwise it's NIT assuming we finish strong.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

hualum wrote:need FSU to finish strong? why?

We are not getting an at large EVER. we can go undefeated rest of the way, win the CAA Outright and lose in 3 OT in the CAA Final to UNCW and still not get an at-large. We need to win in Baltimore, otherwise it's NIT assuming we finish strong.
The resume still counts for a seed in either the NCAA tournament or the NIT tournament. We had a slim chance at an at large before the UNCW loss but at this point I agree with you; no chance at an large even if everything broke perfectly.
Polito

Post by Polito »

yes, exactly, that was my thinking on it. Every little bit helps 8-)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

St. Bonaventure won at Dayton. It was Dayton's first Atlantic 10 loss at home since January 29, 2014. St. Bonaventure moved up to 37th in the RPI, giving Hofstra a Top 50 RPI win. Earlier, Hofstra went from having four Top 50 RPI wins to having none.