Jojogunne

Game 6 - Molloy, 11/24/21 5 PM EST

Post by Jojogunne »

Another early start. Molloy is 0-3:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/11/22/m ... rance.aspx
RollPride15

Re: Game 6 - Molloy, 11/24/21 5 PM EST

Post by RollPride15 »

I want to see a lot of Jaquan Carlos, give the kid some reps. Ideally by February he's our best option as a 4th guard beyond Ray, Cooks and Estrada
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I think we'll see more players vs. Molloy. Coaches might want to rest Cramer and Ray after the falls they took vs. Richmond.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

RollPride15 wrote:I want to see a lot of Jaquan Carlos, give the kid some reps. Ideally by February he's our best option as a 4th guard beyond Ray, Cooks and Estrada
Amen this is what this game is for getting some kids playing time that maybe won't see the floor much and also Bethea and Marshall.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

After trailing 9-7 at the first timeout, we won 87-49. The bad news is that the bench played 55 minutes, with 30 by Silverio, 13 by Carlos, and 12 by Burgess. Excluding the injured Iyiola, Simmons, and Barrouk; and Tomasco, who Polito called a "scout team guy," we had ten players available. Since Bethea and Marshall didn't play in a blowout win, they may never play unless more players become unavailable. The good news is that the players other than Burgess contributed. Ray led us with 20 points. He made 4 threes and had 4 rebounds, but no assists. Estrada (6-11) and Cooks (6-14) tied with 14 points. Estrada shot better, had 7 rebounds, and tied Carlos for the most assists with 5. However, he had 4 turnovers and no steals, and Cooks had 2 of each, which makes up for him needing 3 more shots than Estrada for the same amount of points. Cooks had 3 rebounds and 3 assists. Cramer had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. He made 4 of 7 field goals without attempting a three, and 4 of 6 free throws. That raises his free throw percentage to 7/12 = .583, which is a big improvement over his .429 last season. Silverio scored 12. He made 3 of 4 twos and 2 of 7 threes, and had 4 rebounds and 2 assists. Dubar had a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds. He had 2 of our 4 blocks, and Cramer and Estrada had 1. Carlos has 4 points and 5 assists in 13 minutes. Burgess missed his only shot, and his only positive contributions in 12 minutes were 2 rebounds and 2 assists. We have three players averaging over 3 assists per game. Burgess averages exactly 4, and Cooks and Estrada average 3 1/3 (3.33). Dubar averages 7 1/3 rebounds (7.33), and Estrada averages exactly 6. Cramer is up to 5 1/3 (5.33). That's excluding Iyiola who averages 9.3.

There were some rare events. Molloy attempted 76 field goals, which is the most field goal attempts we have allowed in regulation from 1998-1999 to now, with the possible exception of 2001-2002 that I do not have information for. The CAA has from 2005-2006 on. I got our guides from Hofstra for 2003-2004, 2004-2005, and 2005-2006 that have the previous season's game-by-game. 2001-2002 would be in the 2002-2003 guide, but Hofstra doesn't have that online. I will tweet to Jerry Beach asking if he has statistics for other seasons to research. Molloy attempted at least 74 field goals in two of the three times we played them. Molloy did not attempt a free throw. The Sports-Reference College Basketball Play Index goes back to 2010-2011, and it was the first time that a team attempted at least 76 field goals without attempting a free throw. From 2010-2011 to 2020-2021, the record was 69, but that was broken 12 days ago by another non-Division I team, Ohio Wesleyan, when they attempted 73 in a 101-60 loss at Bowling Green, and broken again today by Molloy.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very welcomed breather.

So much for seeing a bunch of other guys though. As we all should've known. A whopping 3 bench guys played? Once the post guys are available though it will help that of course. Should be able to actually go 10 deep in theory. Eventually. Hopefully. Maybe. We'll see. Get up to at least 8 regular winners to shuffle and they can win.

Nice to see Dubar seeming to be coming into his game a bit - I like his upside. Cramer producing more consistently - still nowhere near the dominance he should be displaying, esp against lower quality, but I'm hopeful he seems on the right trajectory.

Carlos needs to play more IMO. Not like anyone else on the bench is doing anything. Let this kid get his feet under him, let's see what he can do with more regular burn.

Burgess's total regression is a black mark on this staff. He was never a super star, but this is awful. Have to say I'm surprised, Speedy's magic not working here at all.

The HU Athletics department, affectionately known as the NSA to some officials, continues to keep the Hofstra community safe from threat of unauthorized top secret information leaks on why half it's roster is unusable. ROI is on fire right now. :P

Tonight was what they needed, a break from the gauntlet with an easy W against lower level. I don't see a CAA champion here, not yet at least, but a win is a win, will take it. On to what will be a very telling 4 game stretch. With 3 at home, this team needs to start showing something worthy of attention and belief.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just an FYI in regards to Bethea who I finally thought would get some minutes. Somebody thought he was hurt and he wasn't dressed for the game nor was Barrouk. So it appears that Bethea is injured in some form or fashion. As Speedy said in the post presser we played down to the competition and he had some words for some of the players and benched a few in the first half including Dubar. We really weren't playing that well on Defense and there was no excuse for it. Except for 1 or 2 players on this team they didn't shoot the ball well beyond the arc but we gave up 3's nonetheless. I think Cooks got benched shortly after a player on Molloy stripped him of the ball in the backcourt and scored on an easy layup. We played better in the 2nd half after Speedy must have ripped them for their lack of intensity. At one point possibly in the 2nd half I heard Speedy yell at Omar after he missed a very long three attempt and told him the shot was far too long. Ray looked good on both ends of the court as did Cramer who had a nice alley oop dunk. Estrada I thought sat quite a bit in the 1st half missed a few three point attempts in the first half but picked up his game in the second half. Not a real impressive performance for Carlos who threw up a few air balls and was having some trouble on defense in this game. He scored his first college points in the second half on drives to the basket where he looked very comfortable. We may have won by 38 but not the kind of performance we could have had if we played a full 40 minutes. A win is a win even if it's against a D2 school.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah... like I said. I have serious concerns about what I'm seeing. Not impressed. And not turning a blind eye to it. This isn't going to magically become a champion just because they play more really tough games. Bunch of individuals out there, injuries everywhere, can't close, playing to comp level, and losing games it should win. Glad for every W, but this was a highly unimpressive game.

And even worse with your report tc. The fact Speedy had to take measures already, this early on, with a team lead by TWO high talent upper classmen, good gracious. This team is already in trouble. WHERE IS RAY, the SR leader who should have this team under his control???? He needs to step up and start smacking some sense into this team. Get mad and get loud dude. This is your rep they're messing with.

Proud of Speedy for taking action. But he shouldn't be alone in it. I swear, real leadership on the team always seems to be an issue in this program. Ray needs to take over and help whip this group of 'me's' into 'we's'.

Omar needs to S I T the heck D O W N. Let's go Speedy. Time to be a HC that demands excellence. This kid is a danger. I can't stand arrogance. Team killer. You gotta address it. You know what destroys teams and loses battles? It's not people that are terrible at what they do. They don't last and are gone right away. It's the people that are just so-so that are kept around way too long.

I'll be a lot easier on Carlos. True freshman. He doesn't look like the star we hoped we were getting, but will absolutely give him more time to develop and shine through.

Can't stress it enough... this is a BIG 4 game stretch coming up. Need to see a heckuva lot better than what we've seen so far from this team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

It was good to be back in the Mack after too long of an absence. I liked what I saw of Carlos. He had 5 assists in just 13 minutes, including a beautiful pass to a cutting Silverio in the second half.

Did not see Iyiola on the bench. Hope he's OK.

Good to see Coach M. in the stands.

Molloy started a 7-footer from BETHPAGE!

Glad to see the men's soccer team at the game. They received a nice welcome from the fans when they were introduced. Hope they prevail against Pitt on Saturday.

Finally, a word about the Covid protocol. A lot of people were not wearing masks, and while the PA announcer was reminding people to comply with the requirement, no one was "enforcing" it. I doubt that anyone will.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cant understand the minutes allocated to the players in a game like this - unless it was pad the stats for the starting 5.
Would have love to see Carlos get minutes with the core 5.
Burgess - as others - is not playing with the same "umf" as last year.
Bethea - he has to be hurt? academic? NO MINUTES - it does not make any sense to me - suck in practice...doghouse - you'd still get some run. Weird.
Marshall - he's a walk-on - but throw a bone to him vs Molloy.

Molloy was perfect from the charity stripe - 0 for 0!

Happy Thanksgiving - to you all!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojo you brought up some positive important things that went down including the men's soccer team and it should be mentioned that Speedy was also honored before tip off for his first win. Other things that should be mentioned and things Speedy will have to reign in. Dubar looked so amped ump during practice and before the game actually started I guess he was expecting Molloy to just roll over to us. I was sitting in section 102 2nd row I saw Dubar recognize some people in the stands not too far to my left and he proceeded to jump over the chairs that were there onto the walkway to say hello but when he tried jumping back over the chairs onto the court he didn't clear the chairs and fell. He then put the chair back that looked like it was demolished. I don't know what proper protocol is before a basketball game but I'm sure it wasn't doing what he was doing. That's all we need is to have an important starter out for any period of time.

It's true also that Carlos did make a few good passes but I(WE)expect him to show more of his offensive skills which hasn't happened YET. If you would have seen the game and when you look at Omar's stats the truth is he's really part of the solution more then he's part of the problem. Carlos is not ready to take over that role at least NOT YET. I didn't mention anything about Burgess but something(someone) has totally deflated his ego and while he's playing with some purpose defensively he's not showing us much on the offensive side of the ball. He's a lot better player then what he's bringing out on the floor. Has he been shackled by the coaches, Speedy??

BTW I didn't know Marshall is a walk on but said it repeatedly that I was shocked that we would have given him a scholly. I know he's got some game but to use our last scholarship didn't seem to make sense.
and of course Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:It was good to be back in the Mack after too long of an absence. I liked what I saw of Carlos. He had 5 assists in just 13 minutes, including a beautiful pass to a cutting Silverio in the second half.

Did not see Iyiola on the bench. Hope he's OK.

Good to see Coach M. in the stands.

Molloy started a 7-footer from BETHPAGE!

Glad to see the men's soccer team at the game. They received a nice welcome from the fans when they were introduced. Hope they prevail against Pitt on Saturday.

Finally, a word about the Covid protocol. A lot of people were not wearing masks, and while the PA announcer was reminding people to comply with the requirement, no one was "enforcing" it. I doubt that anyone will.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
JoJo when I walked in the lobby after showing my proof of vacination and photo id I was stopped because I monmentarily forgot to put my maske on...thought they were pretty stringent in the building.

Happy Thanksgiving!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow! Why are we all so quick to knock Carlos! He's a true freshman for God's sake! Justin didn't even play as a freshman and look what he became...same with Charles Jenkins...he redshirted his first year.
Playing the point is the toughest position on the court...it will take some time for him to adjust to the college game...From what I saw last night, he is a jet and has great court vision making some really good passes.
As for Burgess he is what he is. A decent defender and ball handlre with no offense. He played last year because we had no one else.
As for Bethea he was on the bench and I don't even think he was dressed, same with Barouk and the big freshman...they will be red-shirted.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID74 wrote:Wow! Why are we all so quick to knock Carlos! He's a true freshman for God's sake! Justin didn't even play as a freshman and look what he became...same with Charles Jenkins...he redshirted his first year.
Playing the point is the toughest position on the court...it will take some time for him to adjust to the college game...From what I saw last night, he is a jet and has great court vision making some really good passes.
As for Burgess he is what he is. A decent defender and ball handlre with no offense. He played last year because we had no one else.
As for Bethea he was on the bench and I don't even think he was dressed, same with Barouk and the big freshman...they will be red-shirted.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I am with you here. Carlos is going to be a very talented player for us. He has not really played ball in over a year due to Covid. I know they had that busch league High School league, but this is an adjustment for him. He had very high major offers. He will pan out sooner rather than later.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Nobody is bashing Carlos just some observations. We all want to see him succeed here and can't wait for his progress to accelerate. Big future and we're lucky to have him.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Jojogunne wrote:
In the past 10 days, I have been at games at Iona, Maryland (twice), Richmond, Navy and Fairfield. All required mask wearing throughout the game, NONE enforced it.
Last edited by CTDutch on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:Nobody is bashing Carlos just some observations. We all want to see him succeed here and can't wait for his progress to accelerate. Big future and we're lucky to have him.
Carlos is a pass-first PG. He had a couple of long passes that led to breakaway points.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk