SOH

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

SOH

Post by Hofstra »

Same Old Hofstra

Same game, different season. This team is nothing special.

Team had their leading scorer out, and we got squashed. So typical. This sucks.
Flying Dutchmen

Re: SOH

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I expect more duds on the road to Baltimore, just hoping for three days of magic.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Did anyone think we, or any team would go undefeated in the CAA? Bad night, get over it. Key will be to finish this trip with a win at Elon and come home to Drexel at 3-1 in the League. If we don't then we can all jump off a bridge.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol don't think anyone thought that, but I do think some are just coming around to the painful realization of what this yr and team are shaping up to be, and it's not the expected. It's not horrible, I mean this is a good team, fun to watch for the most part, will win decent number of games, but just not what we all hoped they would be in terms of a dominant CAA Championship and NCAA qualifying group

It's kind of like realizing your first love doesn't like you anymore - its tough to face! (till you find the REAL one and get hitched :D )

you're not there yet either HUSID, but I'll be here for ya when you do - I'm secure enough to offer a shoulder LOLOL :lol:

PS: just for those newbies around here, I am a HUGE fan, HU through and through as most know, and would GLADLY be proven wrong - but this ain't my first rodeo, so they're gonna have to PROVE it. I'm done with the BS hype - yet to see them actually live up to it in almost 2 yrs. Time to man up, stop reading the preseason press clippings, and show out...or go home.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: "I'm done with the BS hype. Time to man up, stop reading the preseason press clippings, and show out...or go home."

-Polito
This might be beneficial to have on a banner in their locker room, just like above (of course, we'd have to tell them who Polito is, if they don't already know!).

I wonder how much Speedy talks to the team about this, especially knowing first-hand what it takes to lead a Hofstra team to a conference title, and what it takes to be the favorite the following year and being able to back that up with another conference title. If he's not already discussing that with the team often, he should.
Cards

Post by Cards »

For those who continue to say "every team has a bad game once in a while", and "its only one game", I offer the following:
Based on todays RPI rankings, HU is 2-4 versus top 100 teams, 1-1 against 100 to 200 ranked teams, and 6-0 versus teams over 200.
I know records alone don't tell the whole story, but if I'm the coach of a team ranked in the upper half of all D1 schools, I'm not exactly shaking in my boots knowing I have an upcoming game against HU. Of course anything can happen in one single game, but 3-5 against teams ranked better than 200 is nothing to be proud of.

So I think the team has had plenty of "time", plenty of "experience building games", plenty of chances to prove who they are. As disappointed as I am in saying this, the team is simply not what it was cracked up to be. Without a very strong turnaround, we may not even be looking at the NIT this year. I'm desperately yearning for the days of returning to the dance, or hosting a sold out NIT game at the Mack, I'm just not holding my breath.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Unfortunately this team and this staff are suffering for the years of fan disappointment before they even got here - they are the butt of frustration that has literally nothing to do with them

The reality is this staff is only in year 3 and we're going nuts about the NCAAT. Think about that expectation applied to TP and/or Mo - lol, yeah, wasn't even a thought that early. People were in the 5 yr range to produce the dance, and even that was a stretch

The problem is that HU hoops has suffered from mediocrity, a biased conference, a scandal, and a few pitiful seasons over more than a DECADE - so at this stage, the fans are *15 friggin years* into ZERO NCAAT experiences... and it's reached a point where it just can't be tolerated anymore.

Not JM's fault, but they will def be feeling the pressure to produce WAY faster than the previous 2 regimes, fair or not. And to be truly fair here, this staff produced a culture change year 1, and a winning season year 2, and NCAA expectations year 3. All things fairly considered, that's pretty darn good. But the natives are restless, myself included, and it's up to this staff to overcome years and years of frustration, and to do so a helluva lot faster than they should have to...but they are damn sure expected to - this ain't about fair, as we've all been told from our parents throughout life!

That's the deal they took, so now they gotta get 'er done!! Aahh, c'est la vie in the life of NY D1 hoops!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

"Get er Done" now Polito is quoting Larry the Cable Guy!
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Granted it was an odd game......."off"....frustrating and disappointing but not half of what is being posted.

Look at today....Drexel beat C of C, Towson gets dumped again, and W&M buries NE. This thing will be a fight and a helluva ride. We are IN this thing.

Also, changing from a 1-2-1 ,to a 2-3, to man..... using zone trap, switching everything, not switching, man to zone, off-ball overplay.....can't say there aren't adjustments !!

Execution ? different story,,,,,but we do play complex defenses. If we run an up-tempo offense the opponent will get more reps.

Big game tonight.....let's roll Pride !!!!!
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

First place through 4 games. So if you aren't onboard the bandwagon then dont ask to join later. what a joke some of you are.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

PH we're all still around. But it doesn't hurt to be critical of obvious flaws. There's a healthy medium between rose-colored glasses and utter pessimism.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

pridehoops2015 wrote:First place through 4 games. So if you aren't onboard the bandwagon then dont ask to join later. what a joke some of you are.
Bandwagon, lol. Please get people on that bandwagon, our bench has been outnumbering the student section this year.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Like Polito, I am a huge Hofstra supporter. This thread was created to vent after ANOTHER bad loss.

I was not thinking we would go undefeated in conference play, although it would have been nice. I don't think we are not prone to a bad loss here and there. What I am annoyed with is the consistency of our bad losses. Yesterday I was happy to see us beat Elon but it was expected. I don't go into games thinking we are going to lose in conference play really.

I just don't think this team is built to win in Baltimore. It sucks. I will be there, and I am sure my drive home will not be fun. It sucks, but this SOH moniker is just like SOJ's for me as I was driving home 6 hours from Buffalo last Sunday.

Hopefully last night started a new win streak.

Roll Pride
Polito

Post by Polito »

easy everyone, lot of passion flying around here lately - that's a good thing, but let's not get too off our rockers - believe it or not, we are all actually on the same team! I know, seems crazy sometimes, but true story!!

:D :P

#SAMESIDE #HUGITOUT #HOFSTRALOVE #BLEEDBLUEANDGOLD

And the real one:

#RISINGPRIDE