Hofstra to the MAAC?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Hofstra to the MAAC?

Post by ProudofPride »

There's an article about future homes for the MAAC tournament, and one of the possibilities is Nassau Coliseum. The MAAC commissioner, Rich Ensor discusses Hofstra along with the coliseum, and says we'd be a desirable option for a 12th member.
In my opinion, it makes sense basketball wise since at this point, they're basically on par with the CAA, but it makes absolutely no sense for any other sport. We'd lose a lot of assistant coaches, and most of our non-basketball sports are much stronger than any team in the MAAC. This conversation has come up before, but this is the first time i've seen public comments from the MAAC about us. http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /24605719/
Cards

Re: Hofstra to the MAAC?

Post by Cards »

Would be a terrible move!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

No thank you....Basketball might be ok with some local rivalries but that's about it.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ditto!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Of the ten schools in the conference 7 are colleges and only 3 universities. Not what president rabinowitz envisions for the future of Hofstra University.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Agreed it would be terrible move! I like Hofstra's place in the CAA now and say we stick it out for now.
hualum

Post by hualum »

I disagree. I like the move and have been saying it for years!
local schools, less travel, attendance at the conference tourney. And we would probably compete year after year.
that being said- I can speak only for basketball
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

An easier conference for mens basketball and womens basketball. We woudf lose all our asst coaches in the other sports as per the by laws of the MAAC conference.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

if this were just for basketball I'd be all for it, but for other sports would be disaster which is why I am against it.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Hate the move. I would rather win a CAA title and then think about our future. We have to make noise in the CAA, can't quit. The MAAC is not a desirable basketball conference.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I wouldn't be surprised if this was either a misquote, a reckless comment, or an off-the-record thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Ensor tries to walk the quote back.......

I would hate the mopve and HIGHLY fight against it.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Prefer the CAA and our athletic relationship with Drexel, Towson, Delaware, and Northeastern. I consider the CAA schools peer institutions based on our academic goals as well.

MAAC would be a very good fit in basketball. I think we could become a dominant program in the MAAC based on our facility advantages alone. Hathaway has a pretty good hold on our Athletic Program right now, and if we're going to be honest, the college athletics environment is rapidly changing, so if he felt a move to the MAAC would be beneficial for our programs long-term, I would say go for it.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Watching MAAC championship in Albany. No one is there, atmosphere is non existent and the play is not inspiring either. You can keep this league
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We have no reason to want to go to the MAAC. The CAA has a much better tv package, it's a much better conference for other sports, and most of their basketball teams play in either glorified high school gyms or arenas that they have to rent out so they aren't actually theirs. Our practice facility is nicer and probably bigger than some of their gyms...
There's a reason why the MAAC wants us, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of us wanting them.
budman

Post by budman »

I would love it I would go to almost every game home and away.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Long term, i am hoping for big things for the HU basketball program. That being said, do you ever hear of anyone moving from the MAAC up to the A-10 or other or competetive/reputable conferences. You certainly do from the CAA. VCU, ODU, Mason are a few examples.

I know there are other sports, etc to consider for a move (i.e. I think ODU wanted better football). But from a MBB perspective, I am happy with the CAA and I think it is where we belong for the next few years (first need to show we can win it a few times before thinking of moving).
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm sure they do what HU, a lot to offer, but this is most definitely not a fit for HU – very lopsided deal predominantly benefiting the MAAC - I get the local aspect, but this is not The right move for the school at all, and I'm quite confident the AD agrees
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

To be fair, Loyola (MD) just went from the MAAC to the Patriot.